Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All

I have just noticed a small chip in the windscreen (just above where the wipers are) I am not sure if it was there when they delivered the car, but I suppose thats bye the bye now. Anyway, after doing a search on here I was horrified by some of the tales about Autoglass doing repairs and the windscreeen cracking :huh: Now i don't know what to do :unsure: Are there any other firms that anyone can recommend to do the repair? If it cracks during the repair are you liable for the excess? and would I be better leaving it as it is or getting it repaired.

Seen as lots of you had a really good time argueing on my last thread (220 V 250) I think you should all help me out on this one :lol:

Cheers

Debi

Autoglass - If they crack it when fixing it, they should replace it. Afetrall they will repair it only if they think they can.

Speak to your isurance company - normally repairs are free - they'll tell you. If the dealer tries to repair it (and they'll only take it to Autoglass) I can't see them replacing it free if it breaks...

I agree, go through your own insurance - they'll try and repair it as standard anyway which is free - if it breaks then it'll be a new screen.

However, as mine has been in the bodyshop since Thurs having the paintwork repaired where the Autowindscreens fool screwdrivered the glass out and scratched both wings and A pillars, damaged all the under bonnet plastics and clips, and broke clips off th A pillars which hold the edge trims down - if they do repalce it I'sd watch them like a hawk if I were you :angry:

Hi All

I have just noticed a small chip in the windscreen (just above where the wipers are) I am not sure if it was there when they delivered the car, but I suppose thats bye the bye now. Anyway, after doing a search on here I was horrified by some of the tales about Autoglass doing repairs and the windscreeen cracking :huh: Now i don't know what to do :unsure: Are there any other firms that anyone can recommend to do the repair? If it cracks during the repair are you liable for the excess? and would I be better leaving it as it is or getting it repaired.

Seen as lots of you had a really good time argueing on my last thread (220 V 250) I think you should all help me out on this one :lol:

Cheers

Debi

Hi Debs (again),

Rich Bee's experience with autoglass is not uncommon. I was unfortunate enough to use them a few years back, replacing a cracked windscreen after an accident. Went though my insurance, they took all of the details etc etc. ... insurance paid them ... and they then proceeded to sue me for the cost, that they said was unpaid. W :tsktsk: s the lot of 'em. So be careful before going through your insurance, they may send you down the Autoglass route.

Depending upon how big and where the chip is, the screen may not need replacing/repairing. If it's not in your eyeline and not bothering you, then i would say leave it until it absolutely does need action. If you want it repaired, I'd take it to the dealers (Tell them you don't trust anyone else etc etc)

Cheers

Bern

(PS. from your last post ... 'I bought my other half the Carlack/p21s etc' ... should this not read 'I bought Carlack/p21s etc for the car' ?) :winky:

Hi All

Cheers

Debi

Without hesitation, take it to the dealer as from previous experience Autoglass and the Insurance companies don't want to know of any complaints. I'll avoid repeating my Autoglass war stories on previous cars, including my IS200, but before you get it done (even through the dealer) have a good look at the rubber seal at the top of the windscreen...better still, take a photograph. Any new screen should be fitted with the rubber as high in relation to the roof as it is now and a consistent height across the full width.

Hi All

Cheers

Debi

Hi Debs (again),

Rich Bee's experience with autoglass is not uncommon. I was unfortunate enough to use them a few years back, replacing a cracked windscreen after an accident. Went though my insurance, they took all of the details etc etc. ... insurance paid them ... and they then proceeded to sue me for the cost, that they said was unpaid. W :tsktsk: s the lot of 'em. So be careful before going through your insurance, they may send you down the Autoglass route.

Depending upon how big and where the chip is, the screen may not need replacing/repairing. If it's not in your eyeline and not bothering you, then i would say leave it until it absolutely does need action. If you want it repaired, I'd take it to the dealers (Tell them you don't trust anyone else etc etc)

Cheers

Bern

(PS. from your last post ... 'I bought my other half the Carlack/p21s etc' ... should this not read 'I bought Carlack/p21s etc for the car' ?) :winky:

Hi Bern

It is only a tiny chip but I was worried it may get worse. Might speak to the dealer again and see what happens. As for buying the Carlack for the car, I was right fist time, I bought it for him to enjoy being part of the experience , coz he will hardly ever get the chance to drive it :whistling: so he needs to feel included :lol: