Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Regrets Buying Lexus Instead Of Bmw ?

If I might put forward my own contribution ...

don't think you can 'regret' buying either vehicle. Both are very good (in all aspects when considered individually) and competent (when compared against each other). There will always be areas of which appeal more to some than others - but thats what life is all about. if Lexus made cars that were equivalent in every aspect to BMW, wouldn't that be a bad thing? Wouldn't we just be driving 'the standard Euro Box' all the time but with a different badge? No, I think choice is a good thing and if you buy a car from either brans, you will be very satisfied.

For me, and it has always come down to this, is the thrill of the drive. The feeling of being connected to the car and the road is where I derive my 'fun' when driving. The precision balance and poise of the car will determine (for me) if it is 'good' or 'bad'. When you have driven both, then you understand why BMWs moniker is 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' and why Lexus are still on their journey towards achieving perfection (In the Pursuit of Perfection or something) - the two statements are very different. BMWs is assertive and quite clear: they have set out to make the best handling car and they feel they have achieved it...while Lexus is still looking to achieve perfection, bu don't think they are quite there yet.

Perhaps I am being pedantic by reading too much into the company moniker - but I genuinely believe that both cars will be a sound choice in their own right. It comes down to what appeals for you more?

Well balanced view, and I to agree with this.

However, I recently saw the miniker saying "...Discovery of perfection..." on the LOC Coffe cup mat I go whan I renewed this year!! May be they've finally got as far as they can...??? :whistling:

people like to buy a BMW because they have the "Ultimate driving machine" or so they think

people buy a Lexus because it's perfection personified (albeit personified in a car made of metal)...

SO take yer pick!

PS - the rear camera - I recall Koshime when he got his was wondering about getting the rear sensors...but on taking delivery realised he didn't need them - the MLS camera is so good that you really do not need a sensor that bleeps. The picture quality (when the camera is clean) is wonderful -

PS - the rear camera - I recall Koshime when he got his was wondering about getting the rear sensors...but on taking delivery realised he didn't need them - the MLS camera is so good that you really do not need a sensor that bleeps. The picture quality (when the camera is clean) is wonderful -

And on the SE-L you get the bleeping sensors anyway :)

When i went out to buy my car i went out to get a bmw as i liked the look of them and the choice of engines,toys etc i drove 7 different bmw's in 1 day from different dealers and 1 lexus from a bmw dealer and guess which one i brought?

The main reason being was the interior/ride, I felt like i was sat in a box on all the bmw's i drove due to the higher centre console between the seats and my partner felt the same it didn't feel comfortable even though they all did drive very well and handled great but the lexus to me was a different machine, it was a comfortable drive much smoother and it felt great to drive , even though a little low on the power but a more satisfying drive?

Dont get me wrong though i do like the bmw's and have driven quite a few and i think it still all comes down to personal taste and what you want from a car plus the fact that round here everyone and there grandmother seems to have a bmw so wanted to be a bit different... :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, this is my first post.

I'm about to buy either a Lexus 220d SE or a BMW 320d SE. I guess I probably won't go far wrong whichever one I finally opt for. My head says BMW (cheaper running costs, good engine/gearbox), but my heart says Lexus (better spec, more exclusive, helpful dealers, Japanese reliability).

I always used to aspire to a BMW, but just lately it seems like everyone and his dog has got one.

Hopefully my heart will win the argument and I won't subsequently regret going down the Lexus route.

BTW. My current car is a dull, but utterly reliable Honda Accord. 100K miles from new (2001) and apart from routine servicing, the only other expenses I've had are 4 new tyres and front brake pads at 60K miles and a new aircon radiator after a stone went through the original one. As you can probably tell, I don't drive cars particularly hard!

I've heard a lot of complaints about fuel economy on the 220d. When I took one out for a test drive I managed to average 51mpg (trip computer) on a mix of roads around the Cambridge area. Not as good as certain other cars, but better than the official figures quoted by Lexus.

I hope make other posts on this excellent forum in the future.

I've heard a lot of complaints about fuel economy on the 220d. When I took one out for a test drive I managed to average 51mpg (trip computer) on a mix of roads around the Cambridge area. Not as good as certain other cars, but better than the official figures quoted by Lexus.

51!! I'd say the computer was broke, mind you, if you can get 60k out of a set of tyres?!?!? Anything is possible. Can you let me know what lottery numbers you're going for this week :D

51!! I'd say the computer was broke, mind you, if you can get 60k out of a set of tyres?!?!? Anything is possible. Can you let me know what lottery numbers you're going for this week :D

Yeah, I must admit I am wary of trip computers - I prefer to work it out myself. Initially it was reporting in the high 30s/low 40s, but once I got the revs down the figure rose rapidly. Of course, it meant more downshifting when I wanted power, and what with Lexus not having the quickest gear change, it was hard work.

On the otherhand the Mark Levinson system was great and the seats excellent. The engine was also very quiet for a diesel once I was cruising in 5th and 6th and the general handling of the car felt very good.

However, at tickover the engine was quite noisy and first and second gear a bit rough and clunky (although this improved as I got familiar it).

As for the lottery, don't ask. I can't ever remember winning anything in my life. :D

Just my two-pence worth.

I have an IS300, boyfriend has a 328, which is probably the faster of the two. There is, I think, a noticeable difference in throttle response between Japanese and German cars - I find Jap cars much easier and more predictable.

Had an IS250 on loan over the w/e and was really pleasantly suprised by it. Smooth engine, excellent auto box, nicely weighted and completely solid even in awful weather. Very comfortable ride, nice seats, but a bit underpowered perhaps. People stopped and looked at it in car parks. I loved it, b/f thought it was 'a bit of a barge' but grudgingly admitted that it handled nicely and had a good quality feel. (I had to ask repeatedly to get the keys back from him...............)

I love my Lex, it feels special and different - every third car around here is a BMW. If you haven't alreadly done so, have a prolonged test-drive eg over a w/e, it really helps you reach a conclusion about what compromises you're prepared to make when buying a car.

All the best

Amanda

Just my two-pence worth.

I have an IS300, boyfriend has a 328, which is probably the faster of the two. There is, I think, a noticeable difference in throttle response between Japanese and German cars - I find Jap cars much easier and more predictable.

Had an IS250 on loan over the w/e and was really pleasantly suprised by it. Smooth engine, excellent auto box, nicely weighted and completely solid even in awful weather. Very comfortable ride, nice seats, but a bit underpowered perhaps. People stopped and looked at it in car parks. I loved it, b/f thought it was 'a bit of a barge' but grudgingly admitted that it handled nicely and had a good quality feel. (I had to ask repeatedly to get the keys back from him...............)

I love my Lex, it feels special and different - every third car around here is a BMW. If you haven't alreadly done so, have a prolonged test-drive eg over a w/e, it really helps you reach a conclusion about what compromises you're prepared to make when buying a car.

All the best

Amanda

Hi Amanda, thanks for the post. I've already bought a BMW 325. I loved the IS250 but the wife prefers BMW, or more to the point, her ego-maniac family prefer the BMW. I was thinking of taking an IS for an extended test drive, but I didn't want to waste the nice salesperson's time, as I'm sure my wife would have still selected BMW. And since she'll be driving it mon-fri... I do have a slight preference for BMW's engine/gearbox/handling but overall I was quite ready to move to Lexus.

BTW, in your friend's BMW, if it's the E36 shape, they were known to have a sticky throttle response. Later models' throttle is more modulated.

Ps: see everyone, I told you I'd come back and visit lexusforums every so often. :)