Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bmw To Lexus - Why Did You Move?

EDIT: *** WOOHOO!! Wife has decided BMWs are too common, going for a Lexus! ***

Some of you may have read my other thread of a similar nature, but in this thread I want to talk specifically why BMW drivers have moved to Lexus IS250.

Was it reliability issues, you didn't like the dealers, or perhaps you've had a few BMWs and fancied a change? Maybe you just got a better deal. Let us know what BMW model you had prior to getting your IS250 and why you made that switch.

I haven't made the switch yet, I'm choosing between used 330SE/auto/nav 4dr or IS250SE auto/mm. The reason I *might* move over are:

Try out a more exclusive brand

I know Lexus will look after me

Apart from "rattle-under-dash", overall I guess more reliable.

Reason I might stick with BMW:

Cheaper

More power.

Wife prefers BMW over Lexus.

My current car: 330 Sport Conv. Had a couple of problems with Battery but were fixed after I told dealer what to check (yes, really, after a few visits). Other than that, I didn't feel the need to go fast to enjoy it, it's a great car for me.

For us it was about the money. Mrs ihpj wanted an SUV (and had been bugging me for quite some time) and we really couldn't afford an X5. The RX seemed to be a very good alternative so we plumped for that. No regrets. Been impressed with the Selling Dealership (Croydon) and local Dealership (Milton Keynes) throughout. Never a grumble :)

But I still want a 535d Saloon ;)

We were comparing the 250 IS - SEL MM and a 325 coupe Auto.

The Beemer was more expensive and didn't have the spec, but that was not the sole reason for buying the lexus.

There are so many Beemers on the roads, it's nice to see something different and the Auto box in the Lexus IMO is superior to the Beemer.

Then you look into the owning experiance - we'd owned a 320D and had no trouble with it, but i've never been a great fan of Beemer dealers and their touch of arrogance. I have been so impressed with the Lexus garage, it's hassle free and they have been pleasent people to deal with.

Then you have - Seats/toys/MPG which all add up when you're covering 30K miles a year.

We were comparing the 250 IS - SEL MM and a 325 coupe Auto.

The Beemer was more expensive and didn't have the spec, but that was not the sole reason for buying the lexus.

There are so many Beemers on the roads, it's nice to see something different and the Auto box in the Lexus IMO is superior to the Beemer.

Then you look into the owning experiance - we'd owned a 320D and had no trouble with it, but i've never been a great fan of Beemer dealers and their touch of arrogance. I have been so impressed with the Lexus garage, it's hassle free and they have been pleasent people to deal with.

Then you have - Seats/toys/MPG which all add up when you're covering 30K miles a year.

I thought the mpg figure was better on BMW?

"There are so many Beemers on the roads, it's nice to see something different"

I am thinking along the same lines, my wife prefers BMWs but I would like to give Lexus a shot.

I notice you're not asking about the diesal where there is no competition the beemer is miles ahead.

Hi - yes that's right, I'm only interested in the V6 2.5. I know there are many diesel fans out there but I am not one of them. I cover a mere 5000 miles a year (if that) and dont want to put up with the noise. As an aside, I believe the biggest complain about IS220 is lack of auto and top gear too high.

V-12!! BM 850!

'You have to have owned a V-12 once in your life', I read somewhere!.

Well, I did and it kept costing ££s, mainly on small things, though finding electonic bugs at £95 hour isn't funny!Twin batteries! £500 steering box.....

Went like a train (good thing it wasn't ME they caught recently in that 175mph speed check?***), but the LS is more comfortable and has enough power. FEELS better somehow.

***I'm not averse to speed, but on the A420? 175mph! Lunacy! Even on an empty M-way you have to be careful as stuff 2 miles away changing lanes is there AWFULLY quickly!

its rare for someone that actually owns a performance vehicle to take it to those crazy speeds.In both cases,the 157mph M3 and the 175mph porsche were not owned by either offender,both were borrowed.People generally drive like they stole it,when in a car they only need to provide the fuel for,ie they aint had to shell out for.

Back down to earth and away from Warp speeds, my whole family are BMW nuts - even friends and close relatives. Everything from 3, 5, 7 series - old, new, convertibles, M power - the worx!

None of them bring as much of a smile as the original M635CSi - still for me the best coupe ever made by anyone!! Only ever drove one once (in 1987), but have been pining for one since and never had the cash or famly life style. I've had a 3 series, we had several 5's and 3's in the 1980/90's...the smoothness of the Straight 6 2.0i with an auto box was to die for...

The cars in my view were fantastically well engineered - they had heritage and something quite neat about them. That's why they have always been popular!!

Then you move to the current crop of Beemers - the new "styled" ones from 2003 onwards. They all look staid, ugly and miss something. True they drive very well if you like to push them - nothing RWD comes close in my view. Whilst the Beemer is better on the dge and on fast A roads, the Lexus rides much better. Nothing beats the ride of standard tyres - them run flats are so naff!

But it's the fact that they are so common which has meant that I have never seriously considered one. Even when I bought the Lex - I knew that the 320d I tested drove better dynamically - but it was dull dull dull!

Overall, the Lexus edges it. It has a character that is now missing in BMW's - that's my HO. The Journo's seem to forget that most people are only ever likely to be sitting in a traffic jam rather than tail sliding around the nurburgring! So the comfort, equipment and looks of the IS just win!

There is one car that I have driven recently whish IS better than the Lexus - the new A5. Just watch out for that new A4...if it does have the same chassis with AWD, I know what I'll be getting!!one thing that Lexus have to fix though is the running costs of the new IS. It will cost you fr more over 3 years than any german car in direct competition.

PS - one final thing - whilst the new IS250 Auto is excellent, a 325i is quicker and more economical. The choice is yours mate - go BMW and mainstream or go this way...and have exclusivity!!

Back down to earth and away from Warp speeds, my whole family are BMW nuts - even friends and close relatives. Everything from 3, 5, 7 series - old, new, convertibles, M power - the worx!

None of them bring as much of a smile as the original M635CSi - still for me the best coupe ever made by anyone!! Only ever drove one once (in 1987), but have been pining for one since and never had the cash or famly life style. I've had a 3 series, we had several 5's and 3's in the 1980/90's...the smoothness of the Straight 6 2.0i with an auto box was to die for...

The cars in my view were fantastically well engineered - they had heritage and something quite neat about them. That's why they have always been popular!!

Then you move to the current crop of Beemers - the new "styled" ones from 2003 onwards. They all look staid, ugly and miss something. True they drive very well if you like to push them - nothing RWD comes close in my view. Whilst the Beemer is better on the dge and on fast A roads, the Lexus rides much better. Nothing beats the ride of standard tyres - them run flats are so naff!

But it's the fact that they are so common which has meant that I have never seriously considered one. Even when I bought the Lex - I knew that the 320d I tested drove better dynamically - but it was dull dull dull!

Overall, the Lexus edges it. It has a character that is now missing in BMW's - that's my HO. The Journo's seem to forget that most people are only ever likely to be sitting in a traffic jam rather than tail sliding around the nurburgring! So the comfort, equipment and looks of the IS just win!

There is one car that I have driven recently whish IS better than the Lexus - the new A5. Just watch out for that new A4...if it does have the same chassis with AWD, I know what I'll be getting!!one thing that Lexus have to fix though is the running costs of the new IS. It will cost you fr more over 3 years than any german car in direct competition.

PS - one final thing - whilst the new IS250 Auto is excellent, a 325i is quicker and more economical. The choice is yours mate - go BMW and mainstream or go this way...and have exclusivity!!

With one day to go (I will most likely drop some £££ on something tomorrow (sat, 29 sep)), here are my thoughts:

Plus points for Lexus:

Beautiful

Exclusive

Dealers

Minus points for Lexus:

Higher running costs and I will continue to take it for dealer servicing (I'm not sure why, I just think it should be cared for more or something like that :))

Bubbling alloys, once my warranaty runs out, I need to splash out £50 per wheel

Knocking noise from dash, from what I see, most dealers cant fix this, even if car *is* in warranty (I would TRULY hate this in a Lexus)

Err 3 code on the radio, once out of warranty, I'm screwed (financially)

Plus point for BMW:

Cheaper to buy used

After one year approved BMW warranty runs out, I'll just service it at a private garge (lower costs, less bull5h!t)

Servicing every 2 years

Lower price road tax disk

Sportier feel in the drive

Wont be lacking power from 330

More space in the back

Bigger trunk

Journalists say better handling/engine/gearbox

Minus points for BMW:

Facelift next year

Common

330 I'm getting will look just like a 318

Talking to dealers, but only a one-time thing during the purchase phase

Since I'm planning on keeping hte car for 7 years, BMW makes more financial sense (I dont think I would care for the BMW as much as the Lexus).

I would just like to add my twopeneth worth from a women’s perspective. I have two friends, one has a C-Class Merc Sport (black/ black leather ) the other, a new BMW 320d sport (space grey/ black leather) I myself have a Mesa Red/Beige Oakham (soft luscious leather compared to theirs) Lexus with MM . When we go to the gym together which of the three do you think stands out B) Which is more aesthetically pleasing :heart: . As for performance please do tell where these cars are able to be driven to test them to their full driving potential??? All three cars are beautiful and are beautiful to drive, however only one stands out from the crowd

I would just like to add my twopeneth worth from a women’s perspective. I have two friends, one has a C-Class Merc Sport (black/ black leather ) the other, a new BMW 320d sport (space grey/ black leather) I myself have a Mesa Red/Beige Oakham (soft luscious leather compared to theirs) Lexus with MM . When we go to the gym together which of the three do you think stands out B) Which is more aesthetically pleasing :heart: . As for performance please do tell where these cars are able to be driven to test them to their full driving potential??? All three cars are beautiful and are beautiful to drive, however only one stands out from the crowd

Hi debgreg (I assume you're Deb)... yes you are right. The perforamnce potential thing I refered to was the acceleration to pop into a gap (ah those wonderful BMW drivers :) - I will miss that).

I *still* think BMW makes more financial sense, but (and you may not have seen my edit in the original msg) but my wife called me up in a humph, in the rain. "There are so many idiots on the road today in this rain. And I saw loads of BMWs. I want exclusivity in the next car." - I couldn't beleive my ears so obviously had to proceed with tact and caution. She went on "I hardly see any Lexuses, we should get a Lexus!" - is this a test question I wondered to myself. SO I told her all the benefits of the BMW (read "BMW plus points" in my post above) and it came down to her saying "yes it's more expensive, but it's exclusive, we should get the Lexus!".

So, my fears of her testing me are over - we are getting a Lexus, I guess. She wants black, who am I to argue. But they're not cheap and out of my price range but I'll see what kind of deal can be done. Better stop typing and make a few phone calls. I really realyl should blog this shouldn't I?

Thanks everyone for your opinions, keep 'em coming and perhaps see you in a club meet some time.

Well I didn't move from a BMW to a Lexus, but I came very close to buying a 3 series (318iSE E46) before I bought my IS200 in early 2003.

I went to look at many BMW 3 series, such as 318i/320i. What I found was that the BMWs that I was interested were basic, in terms of specification, ie: all the ones I went to view had cloth seats, no cd player, naff 16 inch alloys (some even had wheel trims!) Then I discovered the IS200. Compared to a 3 Series, the IS200 was a no brainer for me, specification wise I was getting leather/altcantara heated seats, 17 inch alloys, in-dash 6 CD changer (the IS200 had/has (possibly) one of the best standard sound systems I have heard), not to mention a 6 cyclinder engine, compare to a 4 cyclinder BMW unit (318i). I had decided on the SE/Sport spec rather than the S spec. Also at the time, the IS200 wasn't a common car, they weren't many of them on the road, unlike the E46 BMW.

What convinced me more to buy an IS200 instead of a 3 series was at time (circa 2003), my cousin had an IS200SE as a company car, he let me have a drive in it and I was totally convienced that the IS200 was the car for me. From March 2003 I have owned a 2000 model IS200SE in Astral Black, I have covered 60000 miles in it, all which have been trouble free.

I suspect your looking at the new IS range, I cannot comment on the new range, as I haven't driven an IS250/IS220, but if I was you I'd go for the Lexus, forget BMW.

For me Lexus means value for money and exclusivity, something BMW doesn't offer (to me).

With one day to go (I will most likely drop some £££ on something tomorrow (sat, 29 sep)), here are my thoughts:

Plus points for Lexus:

Beautiful

Exclusive

Dealers

Minus points for Lexus:

Higher running costs and I will continue to take it for dealer servicing (I'm not sure why, I just think it should be cared for more or something like that :))

Knocking noise from dash, from what I see, most dealers cant fix this, even if car *is* in warranty (I would TRULY hate this in a Lexus)

Plus point for BMW:

Cheaper to buy used

After one year approved BMW warranty runs out, I'll just service it at a private garge (lower costs, less bull5h!t)

Servicing every 2 years

More space in the back

Bigger trunk

Minus points for BMW:

Facelift next year

Common

Since I'm planning on keeping hte car for 7 years, BMW makes more financial sense (I dont think I would care for the BMW as much as the Lexus).

Just to clarify some of your minus points for the Lexus, there is a fix for the dash rattle, and the newer models dont suffer with it, and there are a lot of early models that havent suffered at all.

The err3 on the cd player, is on the previous model IS.

And your servicing costs shouldnt work out more as it will mostly only need servicing.

Bubbling alloys was on the previous models, ive not heard of it being too much of a problem for the new IS, and it is not unique to Lexus either

Hope this helps

for me i had BMW530i sport with every extra they did and when looking to change the BMW was just too epensive when specd up compared to the Lexus GS, and i don't like the new look 5 series and didn't like the drive of it. Maybe i liked my old one too much and no matter what they did it was never going to be better. Certainly my experience when i bought the IS300 for my wife made me look at the Lexus GS300, and it was the only car at the time on the market which was cheaper and beter than the 5 series imo. Since buying it, i'm in two minds but it certainly beats the BMW for brand and comfort and performance and styling, so i guess i've answered my own question, what else is there left that BMW beats it on!

Hi debgreg (I assume you're Deb)... yes you are right. The perforamnce potential thing I refered to was the acceleration to pop into a gap (ah those wonderful BMW drivers :) - I will miss that).

I *still* think BMW makes more financial sense, but (and you may not have seen my edit in the original msg) but my wife called me up in a humph, in the rain. "There are so many idiots on the road today in this rain. And I saw loads of BMWs. I want exclusivity in the next car." - I couldn't beleive my ears so obviously had to proceed with tact and caution. She went on "I hardly see any Lexuses, we should get a Lexus!" - is this a test question I wondered to myself. SO I told her all the benefits of the BMW (read "BMW plus points" in my post above) and it came down to her saying "yes it's more expensive, but it's exclusive, we should get the Lexus!".

So, my fears of her testing me are over - we are getting a Lexus, I guess. She wants black, who am I to argue. But they're not cheap and out of my price range but I'll see what kind of deal can be done. Better stop typing and make a few phone calls. I really realyl should blog this shouldn't I?

Thanks everyone for your opinions, keep 'em coming and perhaps see you in a club meet some time.

Hi Mustang (it's not Sally is it ;) )

if you are going for new you should read Jambo's previous tips on how to get the best price using Drive the deal. If you are looking at pre owned there are some bargains around you just need to be patient. When i was looking for mine DTD price was around £27000 for a 250 SEauto with MM, this is not far away from what some wanted for demo's :huh: before you plumb for the black you should let your other half look at the Mesa Red in the flesh :heart: with the beige Oakham leather i would say it is a hard combination to beat (especially from a womens perspective ;) ) the red actually glistens in the sun and everyone who has seen my car comments on the colour and how fantastic it looks with the beige interior. If you do go for the Lexus I am sure you will be more than pleased and the MM makes it just that little bit extra special.

Debi

for me i had BMW530i sport with every extra they did and when looking to change the BMW was just too epensive when specd up compared to the Lexus GS, and i don't like the new look 5 series and didn't like the drive of it. Maybe i liked my old one too much and no matter what they did it was never going to be better. Certainly my experience when i bought the IS300 for my wife made me look at the Lexus GS300, and it was the only car at the time on the market which was cheaper and beter than the 5 series imo. Since buying it, i'm in two minds but it certainly beats the BMW for brand and comfort and performance and styling, so i guess i've answered my own question, what else is there left that BMW beats it on!

Old 5 did drive better, and looked nicer...especially the Sport with mixed wheels.

Plus points for Lexus:

Beautiful

Exclusive

Dealers

Minus points for Lexus:

Plus point for BMW:

Cheaper to buy used

Servicing every 2 years

More space in the back

Bigger trunk

Minus points for BMW:

Facelift next year

Common

Just to clarify some of your minus points for the Lexus, there is a fix for the dash rattle, and the newer models dont suffer with it, and there are a lot of early models that havent suffered at all.

The err3 on the cd player, is on the previous model IS.

And your servicing costs shouldnt work out more as it will mostly only need servicing.

Bubbling alloys was on the previous models, ive not heard of it being too much of a problem for the new IS, and it is not unique to Lexus either

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info.

1. Dash rattle - phew thanks, that was in fact my biggest concern, having such a refined car and being plagued by a rattle. I would have gone nuts with that.

2. Another phew, since I plan on keeping the car for about 6 years, I'd imagine a new MM is pretty expensive when bought in isolation.

3. Mmh I'm not sure about that. I thought, because the BMW has variable servicing, I would only need it every two years (like on my current BMW).

4. I called my local Lexus dealer's service dept today and quizzed them about the bubbles. The rep said it was a common problem afftecting about 1 in 20000 cars - I'm not sure if I heard that right (my mobile was in a bad reception area).

Hi Debi, my wife has grown up with the view that their are only 2 brands and 2 colours in this world: BMW and Mercedes Benz, black and silver. Although I really love the red with beige (seen in showroom, not in sun), my wife just wouldn't go for it and in all honesty, it's one of those attractive colours that I couldn't live with as I couldn't bare to see it dirty (I already wash my car every one or two weeks and am want to break the habbit...

... that's why my next car will be silver with <what>) or black with beige or perhaps grey.

While we're talking about colours, I love Sargasso Green; I dont know if any of you have seen that but it's stunning and attract much admiration. I'd love to see Mesa Red on the road however, it's probably the nicest colour.

@Kam: thanks for your reply. My take (and I'm just being candid) is that I love the new 5 series, I love everything about it and thought about getting a used one, but now my mind is made up elsewhere (hence my reason for being on this forum with you fine people).

• 5 months later...

Some of you may have read my other thread of a similar nature, but in this thread I want to talk specifically why BMW drivers have moved to Lexus IS250.

Was it reliability issues, you didn't like the dealers, or perhaps you've had a few BMWs and fancied a change? Maybe you just got a better deal. Let us know what BMW model you had prior to getting your IS250 and why you made that switch.

I haven't made the switch yet, I'm choosing between used 330SE/auto/nav 4dr or IS250SE auto/mm. The reason I *might* move over are:

Cheaper

More power.

My current car: 330 Sport Conv. Had a couple of problems with battery but were fixed after I told dealer what to check (yes, really, after a few visits). Other than that, I didn't feel the need to go fast to enjoy it, it's a great car for me.

hi,

i recently (3 days ago) became the proud owner of a 2005 IS250. My previous cars leading up to this were a 1999 BMW 318is coupe, a 2001 BMW 320d and most recently a 2002 BMW325ci m sport.

I have always been a fan of BMW and of german cars in general. A friend of mine has a 2006 GS300 and took me for a drive whilst argueing the side of jap cars and how much better they are than the german ones i have always had ( i had a 2001 Audi A4 1.8t sport quattro before the 325!)

My friend seemed to have lots of "ammo" and everything he stated was true and apart from my "yes, but like i said they are an enthusiasts car" i had little choice but to admit defeat. I was at the time looking to purchase an E9? BMW and he stated that the second generation IS wins hands down in every catergory and with that we headed to my local Lexus dealer in MY car. 1 week later i found myself sat in the handover bay at Lexus being handed the keys to my IS250.

I am very impressed with the car, and the dealer and srevice i recieved were second to none.

I will always have a love for BMW but they would have to go a long way to seperate me from this Lexus!

Cheaper

More power.

My current car: 330 Sport Conv. Had a couple of problems with battery but were fixed after I told dealer what to check (yes, really, after a few visits). Other than that, I didn't feel the need to go fast to enjoy it, it's a great car for me.

hi,

i recently (3 days ago) became the proud owner of a 2005 IS250. My previous cars leading up to this were a 1999 BMW 318is coupe, a 2001 BMW 320d and most recently a 2002 BMW325ci m sport.

I have always been a fan of BMW and of german cars in general. A friend of mine has a 2006 GS300 and took me for a drive whilst argueing the side of jap cars and how much better they are than the german ones i have always had ( i had a 2001 Audi A4 1.8t sport quattro before the 325!)

My friend seemed to have lots of "ammo" and everything he stated was true and apart from my "yes, but like i said they are an enthusiasts car" i had little choice but to admit defeat. I was at the time looking to purchase an E9? BMW and he stated that the second generation IS wins hands down in every catergory and with that we headed to my local Lexus dealer in MY car. 1 week later i found myself sat in the handover bay at Lexus being handed the keys to my IS250.

I am very impressed with the car, and the dealer and srevice i recieved were second to none.

I will always have a love for BMW but they would have to go a long way to seperate me from this Lexus!

glad your happy with your lexus,and welcome to loc :)

Cheaper

More power.

Wife prefers BMW over Lexus.it

hi,

Hi Chaps, Well I went through the same problem choosing and tested many cars since last year, I have owned several BM's and been a Big BM fan since 1989 as well as all my family and friends that I converted to BM from Mercedes.

I spoke to many Mercedes and BMW owners and I am not too impressed with their views on their cars. Mercedes comon answers are had problems with several things, got stuck 6 times with a brand new 200 compressor and after the 6th time they eventualy found a fault and needed to get a part from Germany, another a similar case and ater several failures starter motor found faulty. BMW had no serious problems but are not as good as they were a few years back, my wifes one gives problems but thats only a 318i 2litre and is still much better that the new model, my 325i and 330i were good but then after motor plan over repairs of over R11,000 (about 750 pounds) was common.

So if you get a new BMW take a seven year motorplan and sell it on the 6th year. Its a lovely car and so great to drive mainly the 330i makes you grow horns on your head and turns you into an aggressive monster.

I moved to IS250 SEL full house because I could not handle the poor dashboard styling of the new BM, had the Lexus for a month now and love the car, so far a lot better than the beemer, smoother and nicer to drive normaly. I found that I lost my horns and actually still enjoy driving, even more so with all the extras that would ad over R100,000 (8,000 pounds) to the BMW price for the same options.

Lexus needs to get it's act together with small issues like no possibility to add speed camera info to the GPS navigation. They need to look at user requirements and the most common reason drivers want navigation in their cars is for the speed camera and safety reports, most of us can find our way with a normal map. With the very smooth and noise free Lexus I am now very prone to getting caught speeding, the car is so quiet and you do not feel the speed.

So to cap it all, I hate to say this but it is the Lexus that is the Best option by a long way. so lets see what BMW do next year, Audi is out for me as I do not like front wheel dive cars, CV joints and the like can not put up with my heavy right foot, and I do not like the torque reaction it creates on the steering.

Enjoy you Lexus.......I am!

Cheaper

More power.

Wife prefers BMW over Lexus.it

hi,

Hi Chaps, Well I went through the same problem choosing and tested many cars since last year, I have owned several BM's and been a Big BM fan since 1989 as well as all my family and friends that I converted to BM from Mercedes.

I spoke to many Mercedes and BMW owners and I am not too impressed with their views on their cars. Mercedes comon answers are had problems with several things, got stuck 6 times with a brand new 200 compressor and after the 6th time they eventualy found a fault and needed to get a part from Germany, another a similar case and ater several failures starter motor found faulty. BMW had no serious problems but are not as good as they were a few years back, my wifes one gives problems but thats only a 318i 2litre and is still much better that the new model, my 325i and 330i were good but then after motor plan over repairs of over R11,000 (about 750 pounds) was common.

So if you get a new BMW take a seven year motorplan and sell it on the 6th year. Its a lovely car and so great to drive mainly the 330i makes you grow horns on your head and turns you into an aggressive monster.

I moved to IS250 SEL full house because I could not handle the poor dashboard styling of the new BM, had the Lexus for a month now and love the car, so far a lot better than the beemer, smoother and nicer to drive normaly. I found that I lost my horns and actually still enjoy driving, even more so with all the extras that would ad over R100,000 (8,000 pounds) to the BMW price for the same options.

Lexus needs to get it's act together with small issues like no possibility to add speed camera info to the GPS navigation. They need to look at user requirements and the most common reason drivers want navigation in their cars is for the speed camera and safety reports, most of us can find our way with a normal map. With the very smooth and noise free Lexus I am now very prone to getting caught speeding, the car is so quiet and you do not feel the speed.

So to cap it all, I hate to say this but it is the Lexus that is the Best option by a long way. so lets see what BMW do next year, Audi is out for me as I do not like front wheel dive cars, CV joints and the like can not put up with my heavy right foot, and I do not like the torque reaction it creates on the steering.

Enjoy you Lexus.......I am!

Audi is out for me too, my A4 developed a problem with its oil pump and less than 24hrs after a service the engine siezed!

the car was just over a month out of its extended warranty and the replacement engine was quoted at 4000gbp. the 1.8t engine is found in cars from A4 A3 A6 TT.....to skoda, seat, vw etc but none are the 4wd variant found in the Quattro.

I bought it from an audi main dealer and maintained it there too, in the end it was sold as seen and i lost a small fortune!

no real problems with BMW, just the usual wishbones and faulty oil warning light and coolant warning light.

I must now admit, i cant remember ever being so comfortable and happy with a car as i am with my new IS.

Welcome to all new Lexus fans

It's Audi bashing time... :shutit: :lol: Many of the modern German cars are only as reliable as Bosch can make the electronics and management systems, and like most makes have common issues. My Audi experience was complete the opposite. Not good dealers, but the car was fantastic. Not a bother in over 3 years and 46000 miles.

I know people have issues with all makes of cars. My Dad's W123 Merc many years ago went from "3" on the oil pressure to "0.5" over a week or 2, and stopped with a plume of smoke. He then remembered that he hadn't serviced it in 3 years or checked the oil levels, it was worth less than a new engine so it was scrapped. In fact he got a lot of money even for scrap....they really were reliable in them days.

But one thing is for sure, the new A4 looks very tempting. My test in a 2.0TDI SE comes up soon, and I'll let you know how it goes...a coleague at work gets his 2.7SE MT in April (Company car). He drove one the other day and was amazed at how good it was to drive.

NBLG - you or Missus NBLG driven one yet???

NBLG - you or Missus NBLG driven one yet???

She is due one soon as her last A4 has just gone back - however they are (obviously) concentrating on new sales to customers rather than employees at the moment. We've got a rather nice black metallic A3 Sportback S-line quattro with the new 2.0Tdi engine at the moment and I'm quite enjoying the way the quattro system handles and prevents the torque steer that was a bit of a bugbear with the powerful FWD models. I think we will get a an A3 cabriolet next before getting another A4.

I've had a look at the new A4 in the showroom and tbh I'm not blown away - it is very similar to the old one. All the nice gizmos come as extras and when you start speccing one up the price becomes frankly eyewatering. They would do me a very good deal as they have done in the past if I wanted one but it's still more than I'd want to pay. A number of shorter people have complained about the offset pedals too and I can kinda see where they are coming from, something has gone a bit wrong in the converson to RHD. The interior is very much like the A6 so it's familiar, well built but slightly disappointing in lacking that newness feel.

The new 170bhp 2.0Tdi engine is an improvement over the older 140bhp model though - more refined (though not as much as the Lexus) and more linear in its power delivery, it doesn't feel that much faster though. Nicer gearchange than the Lexus from what I can remember. Fuel economy is a puzzler though, we've been doing some trips in the A3 up and down to the in-laws and I cannot get above 38 - 39mpg even driving carefully (allegedly it should do 53mpg). I don't know whether it's the newness or the quattro system adding drag but I think a few new A4 owner may be surprised in the drop in economy from their previous models.

I have to confess I'm a bit disappointed in the new A4 overall - we've had some great ones in the past, S-lines, turbo petrols, estates, fully specced up etc and I had thought that possibly in a couple of years I'd look at a new diesel model with auto transmission, but now I'm thinking if I'm not getting excited by it now, how ambivalent will I be in a couple of years when every other rep is running around in them? I think Audi have got to look at their pricing, and maybe they will once the launch fever is over, - especially as BMW are doing some very good deals on their Edition spec models.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links