Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I'm fed up of getting in the car and forgetting to take my phone out of my jacket/trousers pocket, then getting a call/message and not knowing who it's from before answering (I've noticed the callers name is not displayed for all incoming calls despite having transferred my contacts to the car memory).

Anyways, I'm now thinking of getting a phone holder by Brodit or a dashmount (www.dashmount.co.uk) (I already have a Nokia OEM holder for my phone but I'm not gonna screw it in to dash as they suggest). Has anyone got any experience of these 2 mounts and which would they recommend?

Other options would also do nicely.

Thanks in advance

Bern

Use a ProClip Holder that is very secure & clips to the Dash around the right centre console vent.

No Drill holes or adhesive strips etc.

www.proclipusa.com

Tel

By clipping onto a vent, you have to remember that you effectively lose one vent!!

The Dashmount ones are great - but beware - the clipping in like it states could mean it's gonna vibrate - though I haven't seen one yet in the flesh (only pictures).

I still believe that Bluetooth is the way to go. Parrot etc will do the trick - or just get a visor mounted Bluetooth speaker phone. These come in at a lot less than £50 now, have noice canx and DSP with excellent voice quality and you can take them car to car, have them at home on your desk etc - they are really good!! Far better than getting someone to take the stereo out to wire it - these new IS's are prone to rattles (in case anyone didn't know!).

(PS - had the Dashmount in my A4 - screwed in onto a Stereo mount bolt behind the facia trim (which incidentally was very good quality, no poor fitting or rattling at all) - so it was beatifully solid and in exactly the perfect place - those brackets are worth their weight in Gold and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them).

I have a Brodit, holds the phone securely and is held in place by a clip

that fits without any screws to the dash. (between panel gaps & leaves no marks)

BTW it doesent vibrate due to a small 3M sticky pad behind it.

They do various holders with no power, or power via Cigarette lighter,

or a power lead that hard wires into the cars electrics.

If you go to the www.brodit.com website , enter IS250 in the vehicle panel,

and you will see 3 mounting positions for the clip. (auto, manual or dash)

Take the clip number to a UK stockist and they will be able to order you the one you want.

LINKY

I wouldn't recommend these unless I was happy with mine :D

BroditPhoneHolder.jpg

OK guys,

As I already have MM I'm not gonna be buying a Bluetooth accessory! A friend of mine has a GS300 with a dashmount and he has no problems with vibration so I think I'm gonna plump for that. I'll let you know if there's any problems with it.

Cheers

Bern

You do not "loose ventilation" as the mount is 0.8 inch away from the grille and, as the mounting plate is fitted between the dash & the top of the vent unit as well as one side, there is no vibration whatsoever.

I have bought a voice activated/Bluetooth compatible Satnav & am awaiting delivery of the ProClip System from the States.

When its fitted I will post an image :there should be no wires on view!

A mini MM for 10% of the price!

Tel :driving:

OK guys,

As I already have MM I'm not gonna be buying a bluetooth accessory! A friend of mine has a GS300 with a dashmount and he has no problems with vibration so I think I'm gonna plump for that. I'll let you know if there's any problems with it.

Cheers

Bern

My eyesight isn't as good as it was.... :shutit: :crybaby:

I just bung my phone into the centre console cup holder. :whistling: I have a spectacle cleaning cloth in the bottom so no rattles. If it faces you it's easy to see who's calling, although it does come up on my nav screen. :winky:

I do the same with cup holder but despite having MM on IS 250 SEL does not display incoming call ID on screen - have over 500 contacts downloaded. Kind of ruins the object if I can't see the name without picking up phone to check who it is and also can't select a contact from complete list on MM whilst driving unless a speed dial (which is limited). Again I pick up the phone to select from address book to dial - how naughty am I??

Any ideas or is this just the way it is?

I do the same with cup holder but despite having MM on IS 250 SEL does not display incoming call ID on screen - have over 500 contacts downloaded. Kind of ruins the object if I can't see the name without picking up phone to check who it is and also can't select a contact from complete list on MM whilst driving unless a speed dial (which is limited). Again I pick up the phone to select from address book to dial - how naughty am I??

It's just the way it is, so you can't select names whilst driving. I believe there are some hacks to enable to work around it.

I just bung my phone into the centre console cup holder. :whistling: I have a spectacle cleaning cloth in the bottom so no rattles. If it faces you it's easy to see who's calling, although it does come up on my nav screen. :winky:

Mine displays the name of the caller (if it's in the system of course). I'm wondering if there was a setting to make it do it.

My TomTom system has no visible wires thanks to my Lexus Guru @ Derby & diplays all the incoming calls in my phone book which I assume is same as the MM System(?).

As it has voice recognition for Directions, does anyone know if the 720/920 can be set-up to link with my voice-tag nos.which I assume MM does?

Thanks!

Tel :driving:

I've got two of the IS220 dashmounts, which were sent to me rather than IS200 ones. You can have it for £10 plus postage. It's this one here http://www.dashmount.co.uk/Nov05/711068.htm

Thanks for the offer matey, but have already had it delivered.

Fitted it this morning ... looks pretty good although it does leave about a 1mm gap at the side of the console. Yet to try a test run for rattles but if there are any, you can be sure I'll be posting my findings!

Cheers

Bern

• 4 weeks later...

It's just the way it is, so you can't select names whilst driving. I believe there are some hacks to enable to work around it.

Any idea what the hacks are to use full phone book whilst in motion? Also to turn off safety message when starting car?

• 2 weeks later...
I've got two of the IS220 dashmounts, which were sent to me rather than IS200 ones. You can have it for £10 plus postage. It's this one here http://www.dashmount.co.uk/Nov05/711068.htm

Fitted it this morning ... looks pretty good although it does leave about a 1mm gap at the side of the console. Yet to try a test run for rattles but if there are any, you can be sure I'll be posting my findings!

Cheers

Bern

Hi

There is only one question... I do not understand how the glove box can be opened after dashmount installation?

It is quite clear to see there http://shop.dashmount.co.uk/nov05/711068.htm that it will be blocked...

Am i wrong (i hope!)?

Cheers

Bern

Hi

There is only one question... I do not understand how the glove box can be opened after dashmount installation?

It is quite clear to see there http://shop.dashmount.co.uk/nov05/711068.htm that it will be blocked...

Am i wrong (i hope!)?

You can still open and close the glovebox without problem. Not tried locking it though.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links