Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fast Idle Speed

When I start my car from cold it goes straight up to approx 1800 RPM instantly and then drops off to a proper idle when warm. What I would like to know is how to drop the fast idle because as my engine is now a bit worn, on initial start up you can hear the crank rumble just before the oil gets around. I mask this problem by spinning the engine in short bursts a few times to help the oil around but sometimes it catches me out and starts. Its makes me cringe each time I hear it. Is it fairly easy to turn down the speed? I had the same problem on my 300ZX but managed to adjust that. :o

Has the cold start idle always been that high???????, high RPM on cold start is OK and idle will decrease with engine temp, cold start engine idle is normally factor of Engine Coolant temp or Cylinder Head temp v Idle speed dependant on where engine temp is measured (idle speed is decreased as engine warms up).

Something I never use or believe in is Oil additives. I always use a top quality lubricant which should be pefectly balanced with out having to add some wonder stuff. I could never understand the reasoning behind the molyslip add when they drained the oil and proved the engine would still last for so many miles without it.

I did change to a lower viscosity and fitted a OEM filter.

Im going to fit a cut out to it so I can spin the motor and then let it fire up when the oil has got around the crank.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul,

Re: cut-out, don't know if you've had any ideas, but I've put a few on a couple of my old Fords in the past.

I tapped into the fuel pump wiring and secreted the in-line switch within the cockpit.

Traced wiring courtesy of Haynes, but I'm sure with a bit of patience, you could eventually trace it from the tank to down the sill guards etc.

This would, as you say, enable you to spin the motor round prior to it firing-up, but also save your pride & joy from the dreaded tea-leaves.

Steve J.

• 1 month later...

:question: Hello all, Im a new member and have read the posts with interest, with regards to this one, I was surprised at the revs on start, it dont seem right but Lexus (*** bless em) say it is, and other owners seem to have the same issue. It seems odd that it cant be adjusted down. It obviously relates to temperature, but no adjustment?

Does any body know how to adjust???????pretty please

DLJ

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links