Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well, had my 57 plate 220D SE for 4 weeks now, thought I'd jot down my thoughts so far......apologies for boring anyone.......

The dealership

Hand over was great, very impressed. However, slightly disappointed that there was no follow up call a few days later to check everything was OK. Not sure if this should be expected but I just kinda thought it would, being Lexus and all that........4 weeks down the line still heard nothing from them.....

The Car

Superb is all I can say. Love it to bits and cannot wait to drive it every day. The build is great, no problems there, both inside and out, just looks the biz......

The leather seats (black) are just so comfy you want to drive for miles and miles and then keep on going.

The stereo (standard not MM) is great as well, about the best I have heard as a standard fit

Great colour (Mesa Red), glad I chose it over the windsor blue, love the way it kinda changes in different lights - when cleaned, it really is top notch. Worth putting the effort in and getting all the right polish / protecting products as recommended by Jamboo and others, makes cleaning afterwards a piece of cake and it comes up like showroom condition each time.

Performance, IMHO, is top notch, I have no complaints at all, the way the power is there at an instant when you need it, especially at cruising speeds is well impressive.....yes, you have to work the old gears but that's what I love about the car....it is a car to be driven and nurtured to get the best out of it which I find a real pleasure

Economy, not the best, but still early days, I'm sure it will get better as time goes by.....just done under 4,000 miles on the clock so far and getting high 30s per tank which is OK especially as I do not drive like a Sunday Afternoon Driver all of the time (sometimes I do, yes, just to enjoy the car.....).

Problems?

So far, nothing too major.........

Had issue with Lexus fitted Bluetooth kit - set to wrong langauge (American English) initially by Lexus and I spent a week shouting my head off at it trying to get it to understand me to no avail....Lexus (Bristol) had not got a clue and had actually booked it in to check it out.....luckily a member on this forum pointed me to the language setting, changed to plain old English, now works fine. Interestingly, had a PM off another member just had same kit fitted, same problem - you would have thought Lexus would realise we are English NOT American and do it for you..........

On above subject, I do find it annoying that I cannot have the car charger plugged into the glove box in centre without having to leave lid up.....keep hitting my elbow on raised lid, sure it will snap off soon........if the power point had been put lower down would make all the difference.....

Did have an issue with the car 'popping out' of 3rd gear one day - only happened 3 times that day in quick succession, nothing since, so I am assuming I was riding the clutch or not engaging the gear properly.

I will admit, I am absolutely paranoid about every noise, creak, rattle I hear, expecting the worst everytime from reading some of the horrors you guys have had to put up with but, touch wood, nothing too bad at the moment........

Yes, I have the odd creak of the dash after a few miles of driving.....quite a loud crack is how I'd describe it....first few times I was sure some great big stone had hit the front and I spent ages checking all the paint work.......not sure if I should get this looked at or not?

To prove how paranoid I am.....last night driving home.....strange rattle all the way, got home all gloomy, thought the old gremlins had finally hit me.....wife asks where the cat's new collar was.....light bulb went on in my head....bloody cat collar had fallen down side of passenger seat, jangling all the way home.........

Yes, the rear view mirror vibrates, not too bad, I can live with it, nothing too major there...if I want my bass booming, somethings going to end up vibrating.......

So, overall, no major issues, a few (very) little gremlins but I can live with them........I'm touching all pieces of wood here as I type.....

Verdict

I am delighted, and that's an understatement, that I picked the Lexus over the BMW, Merc and Audi.

It turns heads wherever you go, both old and young, and you really do feel you have 'made it' inside. Everyone who sees it, is a passenger or just a nosey passer by passes comment on how smart it is and quite a lot are BMW or Merc owners......

Yes, it's only 4 weeks down the line, but I still get huge joy going out to it each morning for the daily commute to work and there is no sign this exuberance is disappearing........

So, in short, I'M BLOOMING LOVING IT!!!!! Would recommend the car to anyone, especially the newer models which would appear on the surface to have had a lot of the initial issues ironed out.......

Yes, I have the odd creak of the dash after a few miles of driving.....quite a loud crack is how I'd describe it....first few times I was sure some great big stone had hit the front and I spent ages checking all the paint work.......not sure if I should get this looked at or not?

So it's not just me - I get that same loud crack sometimes! It makes me jump.

Hand over was great, very impressed. However, slightly disappointed that there was no follow up call a few days later to check everything was OK. Not sure if this should be expected but I just kinda thought it would, being Lexus and all that........4 weeks down the line still heard nothing from them.....

When I'm at a restaurant enjoying a meal, why is it that the waitress/waiter always asks "are you enjoying your meal" just as you've stuffed a huge forkful of food into your mouth????

Same with the dealer calling me to check if everything is okay... I don't want them to phone me, if there's a problem I'll phone you. Sorry, but that's not an issue IMHO.

When I'm at a restaurant enjoying a meal, why is it that the waitress/waiter always asks "are you enjoying your meal" just as you've stuffed a huge forkful of food into your mouth????

Same with the dealer calling me to check if everything is okay... I don't want them to phone me, if there's a problem I'll phone you. Sorry, but that's not an issue IMHO.

Fair enought comment if you look at it like that!

Just felt it would have been a nice touch but never mind!

I am the same - one month in - also still loving it. I did get the call from my dealer and I liked it. My wife got a bunch of flowers when we picked it up - although we have had several new cars this is only the second time she got flowers so she is sold on the dealership forever :=)

Funny you should mention being paranoid about rattles and squeaks - everytime i hear the odd creak i think 'here we go' but in reality i think it is me being obsessed :=)

On my 'journey to perfection' list would be:

headlamps to stay on few second after leaving car - ditto come on when remote un lock

lights to come on when auto wipers detect it is raining ie frequent sweeps.

drivers seat to go lower

Trivial really..........

Oh - and a new footbrake arrangement - i worry that it will be a real problem for the drivers left shin in a shunt.

yes, we talk so much about the cracking and rattling, that we became paranoid.

I think 90% of the "rattles" would stay unnoticed by owners of different cars.

btw the huge crack I've got too, but I am not bothered anymore :)

Oh - and a new footbrake arrangement - i worry that it will be a real problem for the drivers left shin in a shunt.

All in an attenpt to keep the centre console clear of a handle

...anyone watch the Pulling power last night? They tested a manual new Merc Class Diesel - with foot operated hand (foot foot foot) brake - 4 pedals on the floor - you'd feel like your playing an organ at church...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links