Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

Some bright spark has put some chips in one of my rear doors. Looks like a trolley or something has been pushed into my back door and taking the paint off but without any dents etc. There are 4 marks that look like stone chips on the door all down to the metal and about 4mm in diameter. I am looking to get them sorted out but just wondered if they can be repaired without the need of a full door respray.

Does anyone have any tips or companies that can do it or am i looking at a full door respray?

Has anyone had any panels respayed on the new IS? I am worried that because the paint finish is so smooth that any repray will stick out like a sore thumb.

Hi all,

Some bright spark has put some chips in one of my rear doors. Looks like a trolley or something has been pushed into my back door and taking the paint off but without any dents etc. There are 4 marks that look like stone chips on the door all down to the metal and about 4mm in diameter. I am looking to get them sorted out but just wondered if they can be repaired without the need of a full door respray.

Does anyone have any tips or companies that can do it or am i looking at a full door respray?

Has anyone had any panels respayed on the new IS? I am worried that because the paint finish is so smooth that any repray will stick out like a sore thumb.

I have had the roof panel resprayed on mine due to a chip and dent from a rather large stone/brick dropping on it ...still don't know if it came off a bridge or was thrown up by a truck :crybaby: . The job involved removing the front and rear screens to ensure the clear coat ended under the screen seals, so I was nervous to say the least. The Insurance Company insisted I had the work done by one of their approved bodyshops.....and it was a Vauxhall shop :crying: .

I did ask them if they would have a problem with matching the finish and they said no. Despite my doubts they did a good job, and there's no noticable difference between the roof panel and the OEM painted panels. The shop manager said it was the best car they'd ever worked on....just as well he told me that after they'd completed the work :whistling:

I would have preferred the local Dealership to have been responsible for the work, especially for removing and refitting the glass and I did get a similar quote from them. However, they readily admit they would have used third parties to do the glass removal/refit and the painting, so essentially there's no difference.

If the rework isn't up to the standard of the rest of the car then you don't accept it until it is.

...and yes mine is Cadoxton Slate too, so I'll be very surprised if Chipsaway can perform an 'invisible' local repair.

Hi all,

I have had the roof panel resprayed on mine due to a chip and dent from a rather large stone/brick dropping on it ...still don't know if it came off a bridge or was thrown up by a truck :crybaby: . The job involved removing the front and rear screens to ensure the clear coat ended under the screen seals, so I was nervous to say the least. The Insurance Company insisted I had the work done by one of their approved bodyshops.....and it was a Vauxhall shop :crying: .

I did ask them if they would have a problem with matching the finish and they said no. Despite my doubts they did a good job, and there's no noticable difference between the roof panel and the OEM painted panels. The shop manager said it was the best car they'd ever worked on....just as well he told me that after they'd completed the work :whistling:

I would have preferred the local Dealership to have been responsible for the work, especially for removing and refitting the glass and I did get a similar quote from them. However, they readily admit they would have used third parties to do the glass removal/refit and the painting, so essentially there's no difference.

If the rework isn't up to the standard of the rest of the car then you don't accept it until it is.

...and yes mine is Cadoxton Slate too, so I'll be very surprised if Chipsaway can perform an 'invisible' local repair.

Thanks Tango. I have just tried filling in one fo the online forms with chipsaway and got and SQL error so their site needs looking at. I have therefore called them and they are going to get one of their local reps to give me a call. I will also pop down to Lexus tomorrow to see if they can point me in the direction of their approved bodyshop and I will also get a quote from them. If the chips away guy has any doubts whatsoever I will get the Lex approved bodyshop to do it and take the hit in the pocket.

Hi all,

Very similar problem with mine - 4 little markes in an arch - right across the rear passenger door - same height as my son's bike handlebars...but of course it wasn't him and through to the metal!!

I have had a touch up go meself and it has come out very good. I've used the car touch up kit from Lexus (£8), used cocktail stick to apply just inside the scratch, let it dry for a couple of hours and then cut it gently with TCut...

A real fine job too...almost invisible from a few feet away, and after each wash I re-do it...almost totally filled and difficult to notice thoughy it's not 100% - more like 60%. Takes a lot of time and patience and a very steady hand.

Your scratches seem to wide to do this easily, so I would recommend professional attention...

Hi all,

Very similar problem with mine - 4 little markes in an arch - right across the rear passenger door - same height as my son's bike handlebars...but of course it wasn't him and through to the metal!!

I have had a touch up go meself and it has come out very good. I've used the car touch up kit from Lexus (£8), used cocktail stick to apply just inside the scratch, let it dry for a couple of hours and then cut it gently with TCut...

A real fine job too...almost invisible from a few feet away, and after each wash I re-do it...almost totally filled and difficult to notice thoughy it's not 100% - more like 60%. Takes a lot of time and patience and a very steady hand.

Your scratches seem to wide to do this easily, so I would recommend professional attention...

I do have one of those repair touch up kits in the garage that is still unopened. It's worth a bash I suppose. Even if it does need professional attention afterwards. Nice tip about the cocktail stick too. :)

Hi all,

I do have one of those repair touch up kits in the garage that is still unopened. It's worth a bash I suppose. Even if it does need professional attention afterwards. Nice tip about the cocktail stick too. :)

Jamboos car is red so he will not suffer from the same problem as you and I, in that the touch up kit for Cadoxton Slate doesn't blend in with the metallic finish...it stays a couple of shades darker so is quite noticable in all but the smallest of chips. I have filled in quite a few stone chips on my bonnet, then slightly overfilled with clear coat before cutting back with 2000 grit wet & dry before finishing with my Porter cable and Sonus Swirlbuster polish, but it's still noticable.

Nothing lost in trying it though, as you say.

I called Chipsaway and the guy came out to give me a quote. He has a look at the chips in the door which were actually about 2mm across so very small. The guy started to tell me what he was going to do. He was going to fill the chips with filler, sand it down, spray it black and polish it. I queried why he was going to spray it bacl when the car was grey. He apologised and said that it looked black to him. I also asked him about the finish as the Lexus paintwork was smooth. He replied that it is not smooth as he could see orange peel on it. I was quite miffed and no matter how much I looked I couldn't see it. To me the Lexus paintwork is smooth. The Audi has a bit of an orange peel look but not the Lex. Anyway he's the professional I thought. He then said it would not be 100% perfect and you would still be able to tell close up but not from a distance. I had the feeling that he was saying that he still wanted to be paid afterwards if I could still see where he had done the work.

Then came the quote. He quoted me £160 + VAT.

I thought that this seemed a bit steep just to fill in a couple of what looked like stonechips so I took the car to the authorised Lexus bodyshop. They quoted £200 + VAT but said that it would not be noticable after they had done it. They would also take the door handle off etc and do it properly. For the sake of £40 and the peace of mind that it would be done professionally in a sprayshop rather than on my drive I opted for the professionals.

I dropped the car off tis morning so the Lex should be back as new when I pick it up. :)

Hi all,

Hmm, I've got a nice scratch and a few chips I need to deel with. The once scratch Lexus Park Lane quoted me 600 quid for. It's about 5cm long, I think I'll use your method! Do they do Canterbury Blue?

dont use chips away, they did my old car and after a few weeks the paint work went dull, and you could see where they start and stoped the lacquer.

my friend has also had a few probs with them..

shop around a few bodyshops for quotes, id rather pay more and hav it done at a bodyshop now rather than havin it done on my drive outdoors, and bits of Sh*t goin into the paint while its been painted.

I called Chipsaway and the guy came out to give me a quote. He has a look at the chips in the door which were actually about 2mm across so very small. The guy started to tell me what he was going to do. He was going to fill the chips with filler, sand it down, spray it black and polish it. I queried why he was going to spray it bacl when the car was grey. He apologised and said that it looked black to him. I also asked him about the finish as the Lexus paintwork was smooth. He replied that it is not smooth as he could see orange peel on it. I was quite miffed and no matter how much I looked I couldn't see it. To me the Lexus paintwork is smooth. The Audi has a bit of an orange peel look but not the Lex. Anyway he's the professional I thought. He then said it would not be 100% perfect and you would still be able to tell close up but not from a distance. I had the feeling that he was saying that he still wanted to be paid afterwards if I could still see where he had done the work.

I thought that this seemed a bit steep just to fill in a couple of what looked like stonechips so I took the car to the authorised Lexus bodyshop. They quoted £200 + VAT but said that it would not be noticable after they had done it. They would also take the door handle off etc and do it properly. For the sake of £40 and the peace of mind that it would be done professionally in a sprayshop rather than on my drive I opted for the professionals.

I dropped the car off tis morning so the Lex should be back as new when I pick it up. :)

do u know who the authorised lex bodyshop was? got a few stonechips on my bonnet..not many..might just do it myself coz its not down to the metal..also Dayglows what do u think of the final job?

do u know who the authorised lex bodyshop was? got a few stonechips on my bonnet..not many..might just do it myself coz its not down to the metal..also Dayglows what do u think of the final job?

Hi mate. I had the car done at Fish Brothers general bodyshop in Swindon. They own quite a few dealerships of quite a few different marques and their bodyshop is approved by all of them. The job is first class I have to say. You cannot tell (even close up) that it has been sprayed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links