Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hid Help

PiratePete

Ok so i've just been out to do a 'test firing' of the HID kit I bought on eBay last week. I've connected it up as per the wiring diagram so it looks like this:

dscn1182zx1.jpg

It looks right to me as there really isn't any other way to do it, and it matches the instructions.

The only area of ambiguity was the connector which fits into the ballast, on the connector itself there were no positive and negative marked, however it had one of those little ramp clips so i assumed the plastic connector clip slid up the little ramp to hold the connector in. Now that I have run out of light it has occurred to me you can fit it the other way round, BUT the plastic connector latch would have to fit over a square metal latch which isn't so easily fitted and may in fact be there to stop you fitting it this way round. For that reason I am reluctant to try it. The pic below shows the connector the right way round I believe.

dscn1183vi5.jpg

The only other thing I can think of is that was it because i only tried it on the passenger headlamp, as the drivers side is pretty hard to get into, it may affect the ballast charging. I tried both units and neither lit making me think it was something I have done rather than a fault with the ballast(s)

This is even before I may have to remove the bumper from the car to fit the ballast, whcih quite frankly scares the crap out of me. (Funny how I will take a multi million pound line apart but I am scared to work on the Lex). Pic below shows the area around the drivers side.

dscn1180jx5.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My kit had the connector wires (that go to your car loom) wired up the wrong way round. I just poped the pins out using small screwdriver to release them and swapped them over. All was good after that. Leave everything as it is going to the ballast, just swap the pins round on the kit connector that goes to your cars loom. You can temporarily fit the connector to the loom the wrong way round to check, but it wont stay on properly 'cos of the latch, but it does mean you can test it before swapping the pins around.

oh. but i had it so that the black wire went to the negative marked on the car loom, and the red wire to the positive on the loom.

It looked correct to me, but are you saying that although it may look correct, it isn't and i need to swap it round?

also, how easy is it to remove the bumper, how much time will i need, and what tools will i need?

finally how can i legally stop my dughter from crying whenever she comes near me? ok maybe the last question isn't Lex related :)

I'm ok on the passenger side but don't have any room for the ballast fitting on the drivers side. I could just remove the stuff and chuck it but it may not be wise ;)

dscn1180ij0.jpg

So I reckon I need to remove the headlamps and fit it underneath somewhere, and from what I have researched I think you need to remove the bumper to remove the headlights or am I wrong?

Why do you need to remove the bumper for fitting?

When i had HID's i placed the ballast on the inner wing and it worked fine.

Ditto, just some double sided tape and stick it to the side of the suspension turrent.

Stav

even with all that stuff in the way. I couldn't see a place for it, but I was losing lights so I'll check again in the morning. I don't fancy having to remove the headlamps to be honest, not until I get new ones with ok lenses and I fit angel eyes anyway.

Fair enough guys thanks. I'll check it out in the morning, and let you know how I got on.

Strange how I used to make the damn things but never bothered with how to fit them :)

Another weird thing I noticed is that the bulb appears to be hard wired to the cable, Does this mean that it can't be replaced or could I just get a connector for a 9006 HID bulb from a breakers yard and fit that so I could fit, say a set of 6500k bulbs 'For Best'?

Another weird thing I noticed is that the bulb appears to be hard wired to the cable, Does this mean that it can't be replaced or could I just get a connector for a 9006 HID bulb from a breakers yard and fit that so I could fit, say a set of 6500k bulbs 'For Best'?

I guess you could, or just buy the 6500K bulbs for "HID Kits", they come with the wires on and the relevent socket.

Right got back on it this morning, you were correct (of course) as soon as I connected it up the other way the worked fine, luckily the connector is designed in such a way that I could turn it round ok without having to faff around removing terminals.

Passenger side went on fine, the drivers side was a bit more of a faff as I could get the bulb in but I was damned if I could turn the damn thing into position. Luckily Mrs P came to the rescue with her thinner hands and managed to do the final fit. Cable tied everything away neat and tidy, with the ballast in the position Stav recommended and its all good. Just used a bit of CILLIT BANG (sorry you have to type it the way its said in the advert) to degrease and clean the area for the adhesive pad.

Just a shame about the lenses being on there way out, but I have a plan for that ;)

I was gonna take some pics but I didn't have a charged Battery for the camera , and am a bit tight for time now so didn't get a chance.

Thanks for the advice guys, just can't wait to see them at night now

• 3 weeks later...

I bought that cheap kit from eBay cpl weeks ago, i noticed same problem with that wiring thing. First i though that kit wasn't working, but then i just though that what a heck lets try it other way :). Also i seem to have little problem with light pattern, it isn't same shaped as it was with halogen bulbs. Maybe i have to figure out if i need to modify bulb a little so the light source would be in same place as it was with normal bulbs. Both those little covers inside headlight are still placed correctly. Does anyone else have this problem or did i do something wrong?

Tommi

• 2 weeks later...

I'd rate HID lights as one of the top 3 mods you can do. They make such a huge difference and look really cool! Glad they're sorted and much kudos for convincing Mrs P on their 'safety benefits'. Unfortunatly Mrs Coyote (well, Miss) doesn't see it quite the same way!

Keith :)