Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Greatest Prank Call Ever

Chris.S

I don't think I have ever been the victim (that one is damn good) of a crank call but all I can say is the next time I am contacted by a conservatory company about buying a conservatory, then I am going to have them round for an estimate. Should be interesting as I live in a first floor flat.

I don't think I have ever been the victim (that one is damn good) of a crank call but all I can say is the next time I am contacted by a conservatory company about buying a conservatory, then I am going to have them round for an estimate. Should be interesting as I live in a first floor flat.

I just tell them that i don't have any windows......I bricked them all up.

No. really. just don't. Cos then they'll have you on the database and call you every week for the next five years.

We had our windows done when we moved in and stupidly Staybrite gave me a quote. This idiot came round and tried to tell me that UPVC isn't plastic. Now I worked in plastic for a long time so I asked what UPVC stood for, apparently its unpasturised poly vinyl chloride, rather than unplasticised pvc, but then he said because its unplasticised its not a plastic . ****. So then he wittered on while Mrs P and I looked at our watches, and intimated we needed to go somewhere.

Then la piece de resistance, he says that there is a gas in between the panes of glass. What gas? I said. Erm I erm don't know he goes. So as Mrs P stifles a giggle I say "Is it Hydrogen?" "Yes" he says, "hydrogen thats it", "So hydrogen is an inert gas is it" "yes" he says. "Funny I was taught hydrogen was explosive and thats what they filled the Hindenberg with, and that went up in a fireball killing everyone on board" "The what?" he says. At his point Mrs P is laughing out loud and I am ushering the idiot out the door. Oh and when they did quote it was £10,000 more expensive than the next expensive quote.

Unfortunately he got the last laugh cos I now get a call every week from them asking if I want new windows. For teh last 18 months I have just been putting the phone down but they did catch me on a bad day once and I threatened to come to their office and spray paint my name and number on their wall so as not to call it, if they didn't take me off their database, which of course they didn't.

Cold calling double glazing, don't even tempt them. :tsktsk:

I love the conservatory people, as I also live on the first floor.

They get all cross to have wasted their time. Shame :winky:

:offtopic: I deal with cold callers this way.

First I stop them after they introduce themselves and ask again for a name and contact number address etc.

Then I ask them where they got this number from.

The I politely point out that the owner of this number is under a Witness protection programme

this number is Ex-Directory and how did they come by it ? I then state that this matter is now

being passed to New Scotland Yard & Interpol as all calls to this number are recorded and traced.

(I do not state that I am a Police Officer in any way but merely imply some major officaldom with tone etc)

They tend to want to hang up pretty quickly.