Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does anyone know if you can tell when your car was actually built from the vin number? My question is prompted by the service bulletins on another post, I cant seem to match my number anywhere near the vin numbers shown.

My car was registered end of May 07 but there is no 7 in the vin number at all, it has a couple of 5 in it does this mean it was actually built in 05 sometime?

Perhaps I am being a bit paranoid but I would not like to think my car is really 2 years old.

Al

Does anyone know if you can tell when your car was actually built from the vin number? My question is prompted by the service bulletins on another post, I cant seem to match my number anywhere near the vin numbers shown.

My car was registered end of May 07 but there is no 7 in the vin number at all, it has a couple of 5 in it does this mean it was actually built in 05 sometime?

Perhaps I am being a bit paranoid but I would not like to think my car is really 2 years old.

Al

No reason why it shouldn't be, although you'll know if it was built in 2005 if your boot and fuel flap switches are one above the other instead of side by side...they're not illuminated either.

Al

No reason why it shouldn't be, although you'll know if it was built in 2005 if your boot and fuel flap switches are one above the other instead of side by side...they're not illuminated either.

Hi Tango, the boot and fuel flap switches are side by side, I also dont so far seem to have the common rattles apart from the glove box lid on rough roads.

I really would be unhappy to find the car was already up to 2 years old when it was sold to me as a 3 month old ex demo.I do realise it had to be shipped over etc. but would have thought it was 3-4 months old at the most when it was registered.

Hi Tango, the boot and fuel flap switches are side by side, I also dont so far seem to have the common rattles apart from the glove box lid on rough roads.

I really would be unhappy to find the car was already up to 2 years old when it was sold to me as a 3 month old ex demo.I do realise it had to be shipped over etc. but would have thought it was 3-4 months old at the most when it was registered.

I guess your 10th VIN number is a 6 then? The next number in sequence should be a 5 (Tahara assembly plant) or a 2 (TMK assembly plant). The last six digits will determine whether yours had the production line rattle fix if they are later in the sequence for that plant as compared to the relevant Technical Service Bulletin I posted earlier. Would imagine yours was built late 2006.

Not having a rattle isn't indicative...mine's a 2005 and hasn't suffered from rattles, squeaks, wobbling rear view mirrors, glove box rattles or petrol flaps opening when you close the boot (so far).

I guess your 10th VIN number is a 6 then? The next number in sequence should be a 5 (Tahara assembly plant) or a 2 (TMK assembly plant). The last six digits will determine whether yours had the production line rattle fix if they are later in the sequence for that plant as compared to the relevant Technical Service Bulletin I posted earlier. Would imagine yours was built late 2006.

Not having a rattle isn't indicative...mine's a 2005 and hasn't suffered from rattles, squeaks, wobbling rear view mirrors, glove box rattles or petrol flaps opening when you close the boot (so far).

Hi Tango

The tenth VIN is in fact a 0, the 11th is a 5. If I dont count the J at the front the 10th becomes a 5 and the 11th becomes a 0. Any ideas? it looks more and more likely it was built in 05.

Al

Hi Tango

The tenth VIN is in fact a 0, the 11th is a 5. If I dont count the J at the front the 10th becomes a 5 and the 11th becomes a 0. Any ideas? it looks more and more likely it was built in 05.

Al

"Hi Al

My car is a month old today and the 10th vin is 0 and the 11th is 5 like yours. I hope/presume mine is a 2007 model

cheers"

Hi Gra56, my main reason for concern is if all the mods etc have been incorporated in the build. If the car is really 2 years old they probably haven't been.

It still seems like it is "new" and when I eventually sell it is still an 07 car.

Al

Hi Tango

Al

"Hi Al

My car is a month old today and the 10th vin is 0 and the 11th is 5 like yours. I hope/presume mine is a 2007 model

cheers"

Al,

There doesn't appear to be a reliable site for decoding the Lexus VIN's. ISO 3779 says the 10th should be the code for year of manufacture, but in the case of Lexus it obviously isn't as my car is definitely a 2005 but my 10th is a 0 and the 11th a 5 as is yours and Gra56's. My VIN is (left off the last 6 digits) JTHBK262005xxxxxx.

Chris Shipley can probably put your mind at rest, but you may have to PM him as the decode is obviously a well kept Toyota secret.

Al,

There doesn't appear to be a reliable site for decoding the Lexus VIN's. ISO 3779 says the 10th should be the code for year of manufacture, but in the case of Lexus it obviously isn't as my car is definitely a 2005 but my 10th is a 0 and the 11th a 5 as is yours and Gra56's. My VIN is (left off the last 6 digits) JTHBK262005xxxxxx.

Chris Shipley can probably put your mind at rest, but you may have to PM him as the decode is obviously a well kept Toyota secret.

Just to add to this. My car was registered in Jan 07, so I expect it'll have been built sometime in the second half of 2006. Looking at the VIN the 10th character is 0 and the 11th is 2. So mine is : JTHBB262902xxxxxx. Like Tango I've not suffered the niggles reported by other posters. I'm wondering whether the VIN could point to a particular production batch for those that are suffering problems.

Is the chassis number easy to find on the car? I'm at work at the moment so haven't got the reg doc here.

Tango, My Vin is JTHBK 262505xxxxxx.

Al.

should be on the passenger door pillar, pm it me whaen you have it or the full reg number and i will look it up for you

My 10th digit is also a 0, but underneath (from the door pillar plaque) is has year of manufacture as April 2007.

That's far too simple Bluey, I took my VIN off the sales receipt...

...nobody mention the rugby :shutit: :lol:

Al

the build date for the chassis number you provided me is :-

November 2005

But you need to take into account that it takes approx 90days for the vehicle to be shipped to the UK from Japan.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links