Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Honest Opinions From Is250 Auto Owners Please

All the negative comments about the IS are causing me to have doubts about purchasing one. It seems most complaints come from the diesel owners. For the last 20 years I've had mainly Audi's and have hardly ever had much to complain about. I always thought I would probably buy another and it was only when I started the process that dealer issues became a problem, this caused me to look elsewhere and ultimately fancying something different.

I couldn't put up with constantly having to go back to the dealer ( for one thing, they're not just down the road) like many 220d owners seem to, mirror vibrations, dashboards in and out etc etc etc, would be interesting to know how many miles they do between visits.

Lately on the forum have seen complaints from IS250 owners about creaks and rattles similar to their diesel counterparts, I was hoping that by getting the petrol version the smoothness of the engine compared to the diesel would alleviate most of the vibration related issues.

Most contributors to the forum seem to be diesel owners so would appreciate comments from IS 250 drivers on their owning experience.

All the negative comments about the IS are causing me to have doubts about purchasing one. It seems most complaints come from the diesel owners. For the last 20 years I've had mainly Audi's and have hardly ever had much to complain about. I always thought I would probably buy another and it was only when I started the process that dealer issues became a problem, this caused me to look elsewhere and ultimately fancying something different.

I couldn't put up with constantly having to go back to the dealer ( for one thing, they're not just down the road) like many 220d owners seem to, mirror vibrations, dashboards in and out etc etc etc, would be interesting to know how many miles they do between visits.

Lately on the forum have seen complaints from IS250 owners about creaks and rattles similar to their diesel counterparts, I was hoping that by getting the petrol version the smoothness of the engine compared to the diesel would alleviate most of the vibration related issues.

Most contributors to the forum seem to be diesel owners so would appreciate comments from IS 250 drivers on their owning experience.

Hi Exiled. I have an IS250 SE Manual with MM and I have had quite a few issues. I have had 3 drivers seats, 3 dashboards, 2 door cards, a new sat nav system, a new seat belt adjuster, a new gearstick surround, a new gearbox gate selector, 4 new alloys and a new instrument cluster so my IS has been back and forth to the dealers like a yoyo but it does look brand new inside. That being said I am one of the unlucky ones. There are plenty of IS250's out there that do not have any creaks and rattles and there are those that do. The creaks and rattles are on both diesels and petrol versions but you could buy one that is silent. There doesn't seem to be any logic to whther you will get a noisy one or a silent one. I do have to say however that taking a Lexus back to the dealer is no where near as painful as taking any other marque back. I have come to the conclusin that you will get problems with all cars. It then goes down to how you are treated by the dealer and at Lexus you are treated like a human being, not a statisic.

The vast majority of New IS owners are thrilled with their cars & the envy of most motorists:the 2nd generation IS is a significant improvement over the Mk 1

in smoothness , refinement & economy.

Dear Jamboo's car was /is a Lemon, that defies logic, given numerous repairs by Lexus.

Tel

IS 250 SE-L MM Auto - We love it! Having owned to many cars over the last 7 years, it's lovely to have one that works as it should and is a lovely place to be sitting for all occasions.

We had a minor rattle on the passenger side, popped in to be sorted. It was sorted, as was the unreported rear view mirror which rattled. The motor was cleaned and ready on time. Something that could never be said about POrsche and Jag!.

I have no problem in recommending the IS 250 with Auto box. Just spec a set of 18's to finish off the look and enjoy.

M

Sorry I'm not an IS250 owner but just thought I'd add my 2p's worth...

Creaks and rattles - one slight creak when cold on a bumpy road, soon stops so never bothered to get it sorted out.

Mirror - ok, prob cause gear ratios different in sport so doesnt labour at 70mph

ECU - reprogrammed before I bought the car at 3 months / 4500 miles

5th injector - no problems

fuel consumption - not great but if I'm careful I can get up to 45mpg long distance which is not bad from the sport

I don't think you should be too far worried about Lexus build quality issues. There are indeed some examples where they just don't seem to have got it quite right (the ubiquitous 'Friday Afternoon Car') - but in the main, I think you will be pleasantly surprised...and if you do have to take it back, your Dealer experience should be nothing short of sterling. Don't over analyse or worry too much - sample a few, buy the one you're happy with.

I have had mine for 13 months. Relatively low mileage (8000) during which it has averaged just over 30 m.p.g. (more if you could believe the trip computer). No rattles or other problems. Has been into the dealer only for its annual service.

My only complaint about it concerns the satnav, which is good on motorways, but crap on cross-country routes.

Had my 250 SE for 12 months now. Not a single rattle or creek, only been to the dealer for usual service. I had an is300 for 3 years before it and the is250 is miles better. Definatly go for the MM, worth every penny.

Ive averaged 34.5 on the computer over 12 months

For the record, mine has been in for rattles and other things a few times - but I know there are one or 2 other owners with more issues. Just pick up the last What Car? mag (Nov '07 edition) - someone named Adrian Pearce (could be a forum member...!!!) had his car replaced by Lexus due to the EGR/5th Injector issue. Every 8000 miles, the car would limp...

And Lexus couldn't assure him it wouldn't do it again...and don't look where I think the dash is lower...

Now that's what I call real problems and real customer service opportunity... You should remember that his car (220d) was on a lease contract and they upped it to SE'L too - and would have Lexus have done anything if he hadn't gone to What car? Well it does state at the footer of the third column that "I've reached a deal with Lex bla bla thanks to What Car?...." car to be replaced...so Mag pressure does help, and good luck to him. Had his car been privately owned, he would have had t shell out more/PEX no doubt...

My issues aren't major, just disappointing - and despite several near fallouts with my dealer, they remain focused and very thorough. The car is still not 100%, but is now like Javadudes - the occasional rattle which seems to go (and that annoying buzz from the drivers vent...oooh and the Satnav creaks)...

I'm not that fussed anymore. I just turn the MLS up...

I do know what to expect from Lexus - the Cust Service is without doubt the best you will get at Dealer level (though I'm still not 100% convinced of LGB's resolve in this space), and I would consider another Lexus - especially if it was my own cash. I would rather spend my own money on a Lexus than any other car at the moment:

Rarity

VFM

Customer Service all score 100%

Car quality- mine is 100% mechanically and 75% other

Drive - petrol Auto is 100% and the diesel 60% (an Auto oiler would scoot it to 100% too)

So I know you wanted 250 Auto comments, but I can't resist... :unsure::whistling:

If I was you, I wouldn't buy a new one - I'd buy an Ex-Demo - one you can test drive for a weekend. Try the usual cold morning starts, listen carefully for every noise...you'll be fine!!

I'm an IS250 manual (not auto) owner. I had some minor rattles on it. Got them fixed by the dealer. To be honest, the car is very quiet (much quieter than the diesel version). It it wasn't so quiet, I don't think I'd ever have noticed the rattles. Anyway, they were sorted without fuss by the dealer. I've since developed another one, but haven't got around to taking it back yet. Again, it's only a minor complaint.

No other problems to date (18K km). What amazes me about the car is other peoples reactions to it. I've never had so many strangers compliment me on a car before. Whenever someone gets inside for the first time, they always, without fail, remark on how nice it is.

I certainly have no regrets about going Lexus. I considered the BWM 320I. When I test drove it, I considered it under powered. Having got used to the Lexus, I know I made the right decision. If I go away for a weekend (flying), I can't wait to get home to drive it again.

I've had two occasions to drive a diesel IS, and thought it a totally different car. I didn't like it at all. The petrol is a much more refined car than the diesel version in my view.

im an IS200 owner but have been given an IS250 on two occasions as curtousy (sorry for the spelling) cars and never had a problem with either.

Both cars drove extemely smoothly and i wouldnt change any aspect of them! I covered a run from leeds to manchester (120 miles round trip) as well as showing some toe rag up in his Saxo. I know its not all about speed especially as it seems to be the luxury's that are causing problems.

My best suggestion would be to drive (try and find) a car that on paper was an equal to the 250, try that and im sure you would prefer the 250!

IS 250 SE-L MM Auto - We love it! Having owned to many cars over the last 7 years, it's lovely to have one that works as it should and is a lovely place to be sitting for all occasions.

We had a minor rattle on the passenger side, popped in to be sorted. It was sorted, as was the unreported rear view mirror which rattled. The motor was cleaned and ready on time. Something that could never be said about POrsche and Jag!.

I have no problem in recommending the IS 250 with Auto box. Just spec a set of 18's to finish off the look and enjoy.

M

where on the passenger side was the rattle?

M

where on the passenger side was the rattle?

Hey fella!

It was located where the passenger seat belt is located. No exacting area, but the guys at lexus packed it out and it is sorted now.

I've had mine for nearly 3 months now and I'm very pleased.It's nice car smooth car to drive.I think I may have a slight rattle in the front dash somewhere which has only appeared it the last month and seems to be temp related (seems to be more pronounced when the outside temp is higher),I haven't heard it in the last 2weeks but it has been cooler!.

I have noticed that sometimes when the transmission is still not upto temp some of gear changes are noticable,is this normal? It only seems to be noticable on one section of road on my way home from work just after I start off but is never there when I start off from home to work in the morning.Road noise on the lower profile tyres is noticable and perhaps a bit higher than I would have expected but it's not too bad.

The paint is not that bad as long as you're careful when washing/waxing.

I have owned my 250SE Auto with MM from new for a couple of months now and I am still well and truly smitten with it. This is now my 4th Lexus and I am unlikely to change badge, as I have consistently been impressed with both the cars and customer service.

Yes it does have a bit of a rattle from the dash from time to time, especially when cold but its so intermittent that its really not worth worrying about. Its a joy to drive and has all the quality and comfort you would expect from a Lexus model in this price range.

As with any new car there will always be a likelihood that there might be an odd niggle but you do need to look at what the majority of owners opinions are.

You would be very hard pressed to find a brand or model that is perfect in every way! We all know someone who has brought a BMW, Audi, Jag, Porsche etc etc who had a problem one time or another whether unique to one car or across the model range.

Lexus are consistently appearing at the top of customer satisfaction surveys. Across this forum generally the majority are also satisfied (reading between the lines)! Lets be honest people are more inclined to take the time and trouble to announce a problem and post a bad review on the internet than a good one.

I am very impressed with the IS250, it is a completely different car than its predecessor. I didn't even consider the diesel for a variety of reasons.

I have absolutely no regrets at all with my purchase. Just one tip though, if you do decide this is the model for you, do make sure that you add the MM kit.

I have one of the first IS250 MM Auto’s taking deliveries of it in December 2005. I have had no problems what so ever with it, not even any one the dreaded rattles.

Like someone said previously I have had a diesel version as a courtesy car a couple of times and it’s just not the same vehicle, very harsh and underpowered compared with the petrol, and of course it doesn’t have that beautifully smooth auto box either.

I am also impressed with the fuel consumption for a petrol version usually averaging about 38-40mpg on A roads in Devon & Cornwall.

My only minor gripe is that if you have the sound turned up to a reasonable level on the MM system it doesn’t cut it out to hear the Sat Nav clearly. It just cuts one speaker and outputs the speech through that. As I say a minor problem.

Basically I love it.

forum comments should never steer a decision, afterall forums are usually used for seeking troubleshooting advice.

Lexus will look after you.. as i say if it breaks in warranty i know Lexus will look after me.

I've owned my is 250 se auto from new at the end of May. I've done 4000 miles and not had a scrap of trouble with it. No rattles , squeaks or anything. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I love this car. Smooth as silk, fast, handles well, seats as comfortable as my armchair. looks fantastic !! What more can I say ?

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my 250sel auto since beginning Sept - did have a bit of a rattle when jolted over rumble strips but it is only now and then and might even be me being obsesssive.

I love the car - it is the best i have had and i have had several beemer/merc audi models - yet to experience my first service but i am certain it will be perfect.

I have noticed that sometimes when the transmission is still not upto temp some of gear changes are noticable,is this normal?

I can't speak for Lexus, but every automatic I've ever driven has always been a bit on the sluggish side when shifting up when cold, so yes, noticing the gear changes when cold is probably perfectly normal.

Just out of interest, does the IS250 automatic have a conventional torque converter based transmission, or is it something fancier, like the DSG system. Just curious, as it seems to have remarkable performance AND economy for an automatic.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links