Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a car, the ones on my list are the Lexus IS220d SE-L, Lexus IS250 SE-L, or a BMW 320d SE.

I've been reading the forums and the more i read the more concerned i get, there seems to be lots of problems with the new IS.

Starting Problems

Rattles

Poor Gearing

Road Noise

Don't get me wrong, I love Jap cars, our whole family drives Toyota's at the moment, Yaris, Corolla, Avensis and Celica. The problem I find with all of them is road noise, which I cannot bear. I've been doing 3 hours trips in my Celica...and the pain it causing my ears has made me sell it. We always bought Jap cause of reliablity, but seems like the IS needs lots of visits to dealer for repairs. Can you let me have some honest opinions on your cars, would you by diesel or petrol ? Would you even buy the IS having owned it now.

I've always had my mind sent on the Lexus, I think they look stunning. But reading reviews and forums has put doubts in my head, which is why the I'm considering the 320d now.

I've booked a couple of test drives for this week, BMW tomorrow, Lexus Thursday....I need a comfortable car, quiet, reasonable to maintain(service,fuel,tax,etc)...performance and handling would be nice, but not top of my list.

I've been thinking about this for weeks. Please help

Some here might not agree with this but ...

The 3 and IS are two different cars. The 3 is definitely more driver orientated with engines (and gear boxes) to match. It is an eager driver's car that will challenge you. The IS on the other hand is a very competant cruiser, with focus on quality and comfort. You get more for your money in the IS and arguably better Support too. Depends on what you're after and how much you want to enjoy the 'driving experience'.

Agree with ihpj - they're like chalk and cheese yet compete for the same "demographic".

An "issue" with any forum is that (those with) polar extremes will always post the most. In my case, I'm extremely happy with my car, no problems whatsoever, still delighted to drive it every day and don't regret getting the Lexus over BMW, Merc or Audi.

You've done the right thing getting the test drives, just make sure they are long enough to give you a full opinion.

However, from your comments on comfort and quiet, with reasonable maintenance then maybe the Lex is for you. If it's a purchase (rather than company car) then I think the general concensus would be 250 Auto if you can stretch to it, it does the same mpg as the diesel anyway! If not poss, then the experience of the three you've highlighted will be different so it'll be interesting to see what you decide.

Rich.

Thanks for the advice so far....well i took the 320d out today. It was a horrible brown colour, in SE trim and to be honest...not that impressed. From a prestige marque, i was expecting to feel special...the salesman and dealership were top class...but i thought the car was too basic. I sat in it thinking my wife's Avensis feels more upmarket....it could have been a Vectra with a different badge. I have to admit, the engine is fantasic....quiet, lots of pull, but the car was noiser than I would have expected with road and wind noise...I could be sensitive to this, as that was one of the things I wanted to concertrate on whilst on the test drive. Driving experience is hard to gage, it handles well..but no better than my Celica. I was expecting to be a great car, since all the press rave on about it...but feel somewhat let down as it didn;t make me feel special. I really like the engine though...it was about 30min drive, motorway and country roads....oh well...Lexus next...hope i like it.

Well, just back from the Lexus test drive , and in short very very disappointed with how the car drove. The service was top class, as was the look of the car (interior, exterior,layout etc). Problem started as soon as I drove it. The engine is noisy...much noiser that the BMW, the gear change felt clumsy and very cluncky, at times i felt like i was driving a truck, and the gearing is really bad...I really didn't know which gear to use, it was all over the place. I was hoping and convincing myself i would love this car...but the drive was so disappointing, i was really gutted. I was expecting a really refined car, as this is what you expect from a Lexus.....but the press is right..it's not that good. I'm considering a petrol version now, but fuel economy is a concern with the miles a rack during the year..... :( Back to the drawing board.

Well, just back from the Lexus test drive , and in short very very disappointed with how the car drove. The service was top class, as was the look of the car (interior, exterior,layout etc). Problem started as soon as I drove it. The engine is noisy...much noiser that the BMW, the gear change felt clumsy and very cluncky, at times i felt like i was driving a truck, and the gearing is really bad...I really didn't know which gear to use, it was all over the place. I was hoping and convincing myself i would love this car...but the drive was so disappointing, i was really gutted. I was expecting a really refined car, as this is what you expect from a Lexus.....but the press is right..it's not that good. I'm considering a petrol version now, but fuel economy is a concern with the miles a rack during the year..... :( Back to the drawing board.

I know and understand exactly where you are coming from, like you I too was disappointed with the test drive of the Lexus. Nevertheless I bought one a 220d SE (after spending many hours researching this site) and I have had it now for four weeks and can honestly say that I love it. Yes the gearing is strange but I am used to that now and know how to use it to good effect, the car generally is very good. Fuel economy at first was in the mid 30s but it is now returning 44mpg after only 500 miles on the clock but I am still driving quite gentle. As for the dealership thay were excellent (Newcastle).

I still get excited every time I get into the car for a drive.

Having thought about it tonight , i am thinking by reading this site and so many reviews which highlight the 220d's problems, during the test drive I may have been concentrating on these issues rather than actually driving the car. Plus I drive a Celica at the moment, and the gear change, handling is very precise and sharp being a sports couple....and Lexus more a comfy cruiser. Maybe I should arrange a longer drive.....in both the beemer and the Lexus. I don't have another other cars in my wanted list :( , well not in my budget anyways.

have the pleasure in owning both the IS250 -sel auto and a new BMW 320 d coupe sport auto.

Not alot in it -both very good cars in every way - agree with you on the Lexus oil burner and manual gearbox (not the best on the block)- think the lexus has the edge on the beama auto box and leather seats - BMW pro sat nav is very good - you can use all the toys on the move or use the voice activation - as for looks the Lexus wins hands down - if only Lexus had a good auto oil burner with good mpg -anyway would have to toss a coin if I had to make the choice - both well engineerered and styled cars - go for a good used IS auto if you can ????? and are not to worried about mpg

cheers

Swager

just a ?..what reg is220d did u drive? I've driven 06's and 56's while my is200 was in for services. and the gear ratios on it i must say were not good at all. Drove a is220d 57 plate the other day and i must say it has improved a whole lot and isnt that bad actually. i believe there was a ecu update for this? ive got a is250 se-l and it does drive nice. before buying this, i was stuck between a bmw 3 series or 5 series. and like you said the interior looks so basic it looked like a 1990's car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links