Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Did I Buy: Bmw Or Lexus?

I haven't updated my website (www.harego.com) to give a full explanation but I will soon. But in a nutshell...

The IS250 is such a beautiful car and incredibly exclusive. The dealers are a world apart from BMW and I only had one extremely minor (I'm nitpicking because Lexus dealers are generally of very high standard) with one dealer. With BMW however it was the other way round, I only came across one dealer who was genuinely very good, though still not as good as Lexus.

The BMW has certain qualities that I like such as torquier engine, lower (I hope) running costs (not including depreciation). The Lexus however has so much exclusivity it's unbelieveable. One would think that car costs £100k since there are so few on the road, and despite many of you talking about rattles, I have more confidence in Lexus's reliability than BMW's. Some examples of prices are £23k will either get you a 2 year old IS250SE + auto/mm (cost new £31k) or a 2 year old BMW 330iSE + auto/nav (cost new £36k with options), so despite the BMW being vastly more powerful, it's shredded a lot more of it's value, and these incidentally, are dealer prices. Perhaps the private seller got a few thousand less in each case.

So why did I choose a BMW 325iSE + auto/nav? Firstly, it was the price. There was no way I could get an IS250SE + auto/mm for the price I was looking at; if I didn't want the mm then we have no problem. But with nav.. that's a different story as mm is an extremely desirable option. Secondly it was the dealer; he was a maturer person, polite, professional, and honest. Compare this to the other BMW dealers who had younger sales people who wanted to make a quick buck (reminds me of Audi).

I'm glad the Lexus is more expensive, because although I dont have one, I still want it to remain exclusive, and I will still admire it from a distance. There are some other things I liked better on the BMW such as ride and handling/ the sportier kickdown on the gearbox, larger boot and a little more space in the rear of the cabin. But all of these things would pale into insignificance if I were behind the wheel of the Lexus. But who knows, I may change my mind once I take delivery.

Good for all of you for having an IS, it's a truly splendid car. And many thanks for your help and views over the last few weeks. I'll continue to visit here as I'm still a Lexus fan, just without a Lexus. Many people say I'm a BMW-lover. It's not true. I just love good cars and BMW and Lexus make some of the best, they just have a different focus on the same subject.

EDIT:

It's 5:30am on the day after getting the BMW. And my thought remains as above: I still desire the Lexus and if I was willing to spend the extra money, that would have been my choice. But nothing will give me the same pleasure as the day when I got my 330Ci Sport Convertible. This got me thinking: before I bought the Convertible, it was the car I desired the most. Eventually, when I realized I had to buy a 4 door car, I started looking around, and the Lexus was the car I desired. But it was a little out of reach, so I had to buy the car that I had no desire to.

So if I need to convince anyone which car is better: I still think BMW is the better car (for my circumstances) but the Lexus is definitely the more desirable car, and that includes the treatment you get at the dealer.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links