Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air/water Bubbling Noise On Start Up

Hi guys n gals?

When starting up my 99 is200 sport on these cool mornings I get a weird bubbling noise like water running in behind the dashboard. I think it might be the system needing bled or its something to do with the air con.

Any one else had this prob? Any ideas how to stop it?

Its basically like having a steering wheel attached to my scrotum - its driving me' nuts!

cheers

Marco

Hi guys n gals?

When starting up my 99 is200 sport on these cool mornings I get a weird bubbling noise like water running in behind the dashboard. I think it might be the system needing bled or its something to do with the air con.

Any one else had this prob? Any ideas how to stop it?

Its basically like having a steering wheel attached to my scrotum - its driving me' nuts!

cheers

Marco

i get a gurgling when i wake up after a hot curry :whistling:

This how you remove airlock from a cooling system: (taken from Honest John's Agony column:)

If the coolant is being blown out of the expansion tank cap, your problem might be nothing more than an air lock. If that's the case (no guarantees, but it's worth a try) set the heater to maximum, remove the expansion tank cap and run the engine up to temperature, very carefully squeezing the top and bottom hoses as you do so (and being ultra-careful not to get your hands or clothing caught in any moving parts). This sometimes blows the air lock out.

slightly different as a coolant system has 2 routes. Reason you run it til hot is so that the thermostat opens sending the coolant round the main system. Usually this then releases air locks and will push air round to a bleed point.

Dunno about air con system and what happens there, not in massive detail anyway. guess refridgerant is circulated round system with air then cooled and blow over it or something - like a fridge sort of with a blower attached!!?

I had this guys and it was a low water level in the expansion bottle behind the radiator? if you look at the fluid level on the back of the bottle at the front of the engine (it looks like a white strip on the back of the bottle wih low and max on it its probably very low?

If you remove the black cap on top of the expansion bottle top it up to the max line with water but before you do this start your engine and follow the remove airlock post above (heater on etc),

Mine hasn't done it since as my water level was very low and needed a good top up WORTH A LOOK.? :)

My money is on an airlock in the heater matrix / cooling system.. The aircon system should have absolutely NO air in it at all, only refrigerant and lubricant.. I have heard a/c s that whistle (No it wouldn't do requests) or a more common noise from the ac is a pronounced hissing noise which indicates that refrigerant gas (as opposed to refrigerant liquid) is being passed through the expansion valve which suggests that the system is low on refrigerant.

A simple way to eliminate where the noise is coming from would be to switch off the air con system and see if the noise stops.

I bet Aztecbandit1 is right, and it's not an airlock at all. I suspect that if you check the cooling expansion bottle, it will be on minimum or lower. Add some water and it will all go away...

I had exactly the same thing on my GS, but once I realised it was just a smidge low on water, it was a free and easy fix. Never heard the noise again.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys i just opened a new topic under engine + transmision (sub heading Engine failure), this is exactly what happened to my car when i think about it. i could hear bubbling/ air like sound from behind dash, which generally became obvious when pulling away from stand still (traffic junction etc). I had the system bleed and re filled at local garage properly and all is running fine now. :P But would get done asap as i ignored it and ended up having her over eat on me and not start. have a read of the topic. good luck matt

• 2 weeks later...