Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Knocking - Dealer Says Normal!?

I took my RX300 to the dealer for some work before the warranty runs out. One item I asked them to fix is engine knocking. I don't know if it is from valves or injectors or something else. When we step on the gas, the engine knocks/rattles pretty loudly. When I let off the gas and step on it again, the rattling sometimes goes away temporarily. The dealer said this is normal. I'm not sure I believe it because it didn't make this noise until about 9 months ago. Does anyone have a similar problem/solution/advice?

Thanks - Jake

Sounds a bit suspect to me mate, escpecially with it comin to the end of its warranty <_< If you get no joy from this dealer, go to a different one.

I would love to see that guys face Mat if he was asked to demonstrate it on a new one :lol:

errr......it......er.........oh ******:D

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. I JUST BOUGHT MY RX300 IN FEBRUARY.

IT REALLY STARTED MAKING A TAPPING OR TICKING NOISE ABOUT 2 WEEKS

AGO. I JUST CAME FROM MY 1,000 SERVICE AT THE DEALER AND THEY TOLD

ME IT WAS A TYPICAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THE RX300. THEY SAID IT HAS TO DO

WITH THE INJECTORS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. MY TICKING NOISE COMES

FROM THE ENGINE ON THE PASSENGER SIDE. MY 99 RX300 NEVER MADE THIS NOISE.

THEY SAID THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO ABOUT IT. ANYONE OUT THERE WITH HELP ON THIS ONE?

I've never owned an RX300 but had one for a weekend as a courtesy car - I certainly never noticed any untoward engine knocking sounds. Sounds like a very weak excuse, you should definitely go back to the dealers and use Wildrnes' argument!

Come along to Gaydon on the 23rd - it would be great to have some RX300's !

Come along to Gaydon on the 23rd - it would be great to have some RX300's !

Claire

think crazyfore is in the US - I quoted Matt W's argument at him on those forums earlier.

:blush:

More than welcome to turn up though crazyfore - Claire might even put you up for the night, she's awful kind about offering strangers the spare room :lol:

(sorry Claire - couldn't resist :P _

• 3 months later...

I have a 98 ES300 with 82,000 miles on it. Everything about the car is perfect except for that damn "tat tat tat" sound coming from the engine. The first time I took it in for that problem. I was told that there was no abnormal sound coming from the engine. I thought maybe it was me. After hearing the engines from several other lexus vehicles including 2 other 98 ES300s I concluded that the dealership was the one who was wrong. I wrote a letter to Lexus who eventually had the dealer call me back. After a second look he told me that the car had a slight valve tap noise comming from the engine. Well no sh*t...when I came in here the first time it had the same damn noise. The only difference is that he now tells me it's gonna cost about $1,000 to have the valves adusted. Go figure !!! Well all I can say is good luck ! Keep us posted...I'm probably gonna spend the money because I love this car and I intend to keep it until it turns to dust.

:zee:

My RX300 had similar noise since about 6 mo. and the 30K mile service was recently done. The dealer could not 'reproduce' the noise, and it didn't make the noise while cold, so nothing was done. However a different dealer , now in warmer conditions accompanied me for a drive and was able to confirm the noise. Guess what?? They have chosen to replace the whole engine. As it is less than 4 yr. it is covered under warranty. I hope this fixes the problem. Well as you can tell, the dealer who says it is 'normal' dosen't know what he is talking about. Try a different dealer.

I have the same thing with my gs300 slightly ticky around 3000rpm but when taken above this noise go,s i always thought it was the injectors but am now starting to wonder .it is under warrenty still so might get it checked out

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links