Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

When I bought my LS430 a few months back from a non franchised dealer it had a pair of brand new front tyres of the Maxis make, these were very cheap looking and on checking with a tyre company were found to be the cheapest tyres you can get for it.

The dealer said he had also changed the front discs and pads as he could "hear" the brakes as you came to a halt, not screeching or anything just a thrumming noise...

Well the noise has been there every since, it sounded like a landrover on mud pattern crossplies, I suppose this was because the rest of the car is so quiet that this is all you could hear..

Well after reading on here about the Dunlop D8's that were fitted to the LS400 and a bit of googling, it transpires the car was originally fitted with Dunlop Sport 270 in 255/55/w17, and if I'd just thought to open the boot, there was a brand new never been used tyre...

So I ordered a Made in Japan Sport 270 from my local tyre dealer and it turned up a couple of days ago, it is identical to the original spare and when fitted has transformed the car, it is now even quieter, feels more supple over pot holes and the turn in is crisper, the tyre noise has gone totally...

The two rear tyres are Vredestein and have plenty of tread left, I can't hear any noise from them so will change them when they wear out

So if you have Maxis on your car or are offered some next time you need tyres please don't buy them they are VERY noisy....

It hurt a bit to throw away two tyres with loads of tread but it was worth it for the magic carpet type ride and at least it got me a new set of discs and pads!!!

Pete

AS one of the fans of Dunlops 'Originals' on this site, it's good to hear our words of experience/advice have been of help. Many folk seem put off by dealers trying to deflect you --'can't get THOSE now' etc....when it seems, with a little persistence you CAN!

It's worth it. In tthe same way as Citroen designed the DS around the Michelin 'assymetric' tyre, so the LS was designed with Dunlop as a PART of it.

how much for the tyres then ??? MOT's due and may need two. cheers ian

Dunlop Sport 270 in 255/55/17 W speed rated (up to 168mph) Made in Japan.

£130 all in fitted and balanced including old tyre disposal

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

how much for the tyres then ??? MOT's due and may need two. cheers ian

Dunlop Sport 270 in 255/55/17 W speed rated (up to 168mph) Made in Japan.

£130 all in fitted and balanced including old tyre disposal

Pete

If it helps Dunlop 270 255/55/17/W are available from www.blackcircles.com ( or google Blackcircle tyres) at £109.97 all in. Fitted locally to you ( no I do not work for them)

Really good link, thanks lexulexus. Do you happen to know if these are the Made In Japan ones?

I know Pete has been recommending the Japn ones over the Germany ones, but how much difference is there anyway?

Really good link, thanks lexulexus. Do you happen to know if these are the Made In Japan ones?

I know Pete has been recommending the Japn ones over the Germany ones, but how much difference is there anyway?

Hi

Apparently the Jap give a softer ride... this is pure hearsay i have no personal knoledge... what I was told when the garage ordered mine were that they only list one tyre of this type/size and it was the Made in Japan ones not others... there may be a presumtion going on here because I heard this info on only get Jap ones when the tyre in question was the Dunlop D8's as fitted to the LS400 so maybe they don't actually do a German sport 270!!!

Anyway done a good few miles with them now and they are good

BTW Blackcircles does not cover the whole country even if they say they do, when I enquired with them they just stated they couldn't do it.... no reason given, I guess they don't have a place up here in the back of beyond......

Pete

• 6 months later...
Pete

Just been researching old tyre posts and noticed this. Did you really get 255/55/R17 or was that just a typo?

Mine are 225/55/R17.

Chris

Chris

I sit corrected... just a typo, mine are 225/55/17's....

Pete

Hi Pete,

Interesting stuff, seens to be an awful lot of discussion about tyres on here.

The two rear tyres are Vredestein and have plenty of tread left, I can't hear any noise from them so will change them when they wear out

Out of interest which model are they? I've had consistently excellent performance from Vredestein on a variety of cars from big heavy diesels to a tuned RWD turbo coupé.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Pete,

Out of interest which model are they? I've had consistently excellent performance from Vredestein on a variety of cars from big heavy diesels to a tuned RWD turbo coupé.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi

Bit dark at the mo.... will have a look tomorrow...

Pete

Hi Pete,

Cheers,

Paul

Hi

They are "Vredestein super steel 595" 225/55/ZR17 97W. So they are W speed rated (168mph), correct for the car. Load rating of 97, also correct... but does anyone know what the "Z" before the "R" for radial means.... Oh and they have minimun tread left so will be going soon...

Pete

Hi

They are "Vredestein super steel 595" 225/55/ZR17 97W. So they are W speed rated (168mph), correct for the car. Load rating of 97, also correct... but does anyone know what the "Z" before the "R" for radial means.... Oh and they have minimun tread left so will be going soon...

Pete

Hi Pete,

Weird, I thought Super Steel was a Federal model and all the Vredesteins had "Trac" in their name :huh:

ZR without a speed rating indicates a model specific tyre for a high performance car (effectively homologated but without the homologation code some marques have).

With a speed rating then the Z is ignored (unless it's a Z rated tyre, 240kmh+). I've no idea why non-Z tyres sometimes include Z before R(adial), seems pointless, but I think you only find it on high-speed ratings (W+) so perhaps it's a tooling thing? :huh:

Cheers,

Paul

Hi

Pete

Hi Pete,

Weird, I thought Super Steel was a Federal model and all the Vredesteins had "Trac" in their name :huh:

ZR without a speed rating indicates a model specific tyre for a high performance car (effectively homologated but without the homologation code some marques have).

With a speed rating then the Z is ignored (unless it's a Z rated tyre, 240kmh+). I've no idea why non-Z tyres sometimes include Z before R(adial), seems pointless, but I think you only find it on high-speed ratings (W+) so perhaps it's a tooling thing? :huh:

Cheers,

Paul

Paul

Last October when I started this thread the tyre shop who looked at the tyres said the rears were Vredesteins... now I'm 6'6" so I don't get down to tyre height very often!!!! so I never noticed that they are in fact Federal tyres.... and when I think how many times I've washed them and never read the sidewall, then the other day when you asked what model they were I STILL didn't read or notice that they were Federals..... Sorry about the mixup.... anyway they are going soon

Pete

Hi

Pete

Hi Pete,

Cheers,

Paul

If I remember correctly the old system used to have SR e.g 165SR13 rating for up to 113 MPH then HR up to 130 MPH and then ZR for over 130 MPH

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links