Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed Awareness Workshop

A.J

I had to go on one, just before I got the supercharger fitted... I was doing 34 in a 30. Much better than taking the points, it was only 3 hours and they supplied free coffee :whistling:

You have to sit a computer based multiple choice evaluation (although it's impossible to get a sense of speed and distance in the videos in it!!!) and then have to sit through an "interactive" presentation where he asks opinions on what he's talking about. All pretty dull really... I just spent most of the time thinking about getting the supercharger on!!! As you can see it had a great effect on me...

I think depending on where you go depends on what the course entails. I know the courses around Hertfordshire you will spend some time in a classroom learning about why you shouldn't speed and then you will spend some time driving with an ADI (Approved Driving Instructor) so you can at least find out how to reduce the chances of you speeding. I've always been of the opinion that it doesn't matter what you drive, it will only go as fast as you push that accelerator pedal so there really isn't an excuse if your caught speeding. :tomato: Saying that, if the speed enforcement camera's were used properly, I'm sure there would be less speeding fines given out.

S'funny... I just got a N.I.P. in the post this morning :tsktsk:

Leaflet with it says the cameras are well visible, as are their mobile units.. (which this must have been)

I saw absolutely nothing.. but at the time and date stated, I was quite possibly on that particular road..

41 in a 30...... as if... I've been a good boy I have.... summat's not right about this..

Going to have a look on pepipoo.com see what can be done.

John.. not a happy bunny. :angry:

You are entitled to copies of the evidence such as photos etc, details of where the van was sited, who was operating it, their certification and, details of the equipment used and when it was last calibrated.

You may as well get value for money for your £60! :whistling:

Speed awareness courses are designed to do exactly what they say on the tin, to make you aware of the dangers of excess speed. From my advanced driving and instructing experience the quality of the courses seem to vary - some of them are basically just a doss, and some of them show you 3 hours of horrific video footage of people driving like spanners and the consequences. I've lectured at this kind of thing and had mixed responses - the ones where we show gruesome stuff tends to have a profound effect.

Keith :)

looks like iv got a fun afternoon to look forward to...but its good that theyre offering this option - as the thought of points was :tsktsk:

Einstein- im surprised that theyre only offering evidence if you go to court, i would challenge that and try and get as much info and proof it was you before taking further steps - especially since you have some doubt....

I was sent a link to a website I had to put a reference number into and all of the evidence was on there (photo's, speed gun calibration certificate etc).

I too didn't see anything at the time and didn't know anything about it until the letter dropped through the door.

No gruesome photo's on mine but some example accident scenes and explanations as to why excessive speed was a contributing factor.

You ARE ABSOLUTELY entitled to ALL evidence regardless of whether or not you decide to take it to court. You have to remember that the Speeding Fines system relies on self incrimination - you are guilty until proven innocent. Demand the evidence and if it was you and you are guilty so be it. If not go to court, waste their time and have it overturned.

I too haev been on these courses when they first came out in Lancashire back in 20001, was held at the Burnley Football stadium. Was only doing 34 ina 30 :tsktsk: camera was hidden byover grown hedge and only manged to get the reg and bit of the car :crybaby: ..

Was the best option compared to points and telling insurance for 3 years. :whistling:

Was a all day course and yes video, lecture then teamed up with instructors to go out and take a driving test to see if we learned anything :shutit: :crybaby: :tsktsk: . It was sitting a driving test allover again, but was assured he was only looking out for awareness of the speed limits of the roads and danger awareness eyc..

it does work and if yu can stand the lectures hopefully it will payoff and avoid anymore points etc..

Good luck

Dibs

I was wondering, if they are so effective at reducing speed, why do they only offer them to people after they have been caught for speeding, or are they available to anyone?

I would have thought if they include speed awareness and danger awareness there are quite a few people on the roads who could benefit from it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Looks like im guna av 2 go on 1 of these :tsktsk:

Just short of £90 gr8 crimbo prezzi :whistling:

iv just been done for 85 in a 50 on some ****ty dual carrage way in weston

hope i get a small fine and some work shop like this

Very doubtful, its only for a couple of miles over.

Your looking at 3 points at least but its over 1 and a half times the limit, you could even get 6.

Stav

Very doubtful, its only for a couple of miles over.

Your looking at 3 points at least but its over 1 and a half times the limit, you could even get 6.

Stav

deffo be 6+ :(

just lost 6 last aug foookin lucky that was now im back to 0 for a bit

You aren't entitled to evidence until you have plead to contest the fixed penalty notice. (or plead guilty obviously).

You must make a plea before you have the absolute right to see any evidence against you. As with any other offence, not just motoring - you can't have a look at their evidence first and then decide how you want to plea!

You can't make a change of plea with a fixed penalty either as the option is withdrawn as soon as you contest it as not guilty. The change of plea would be heard in court and not looked upon favourably.

The self incrimination privilege works for yourself and any evidence YOU know of, not the other way around. It doesn't entitle you to see any evidence before a plea.

"...the rule is that no one is bound to answer any question if the answer thereto would have a tendency to expose the deponent to any criminal charge, penalty or forfeiture in which he or she would be reasonably likely to be preferred or sued for."

You can keep quiet, would it won't entitle you to evidence they have.

You ARE ABSOLUTELY entitled to ALL evidence regardless of whether or not you decide to take it to court. You have to remember that the Speeding Fines system relies on self incrimination - you are guilty until proven innocent. Demand the evidence and if it was you and you are guilty so be it. If not go to court, waste their time and have it overturned.

The system relies on "self incrimination" in that it relies on most people taking the easy route - admit guilt, slap on wrist and fine. The system simply could not cope if everyone went to court and requested evidence to available to them. This would mean upwards of 2 million cases per year clogging up the court system....

a couple of examples below (and we wonder why motorists get mad!!??) of how the system is heavily weighted against motorists and how innocent until proven guilty no longer applies...

1) The NIP is said to be served when it has been posted using ordinary post, it is still valid even if it gets lost in the post. The burden of proof is on the potential defendant to prove that neither he nor the registered keeper received the notice and the prosecution only need to prove that the notice was posted.

2) From Motorcycle news may 2007 - Police say: 'Confess, or you don't get speeding evidence'

Speeding suspects are being told they must admit it was them before police will say how fast they are accused of going.

Speeding notices say only that a bike was photographed exceeding the speed limit. To get more information suspects are told they must first confess to being the rider at the time. Police say the speed is then provided along with a £60 fixed penalty fine and three points. Riders can refuse the penalty and challenge the speeding charge in court but are warned they risk more points and a bigger fine if found guilty. Photographs issued also have details of speed removed.

Police claim the speed cannot be revealed under data protection legislation. The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), the government organisation which promotes access to information, has called the explanation an excuse. An ICO spokeswoman said: “It’s one of these cases we do find happens reasonably frequently where people use data protection as an excuse.”

In other words, we think you are guilty, just admit it and make life easier (for us) and even then we won't provide the evidence used against you.

Iv Just Booked Mine waited the 14 days they give u :tsktsk:

& iv booked it the day b4 i passed my test 17-02-88 do it on the 16th 20years clean :whistling:

Think they like 2 scare u :tomato:

My letter said £87.50 & 6 hours :unsure:

But when i booked it was £61 & 2 n 1/2 hours :question:

Luckily they do it where i live so dont need 2 travel :driving:

mine was £95 and 2/1/2 hrs

...the course was pretty much just sitting in front of a computer an clicking on video clips to assess hazzards - i thought that part was a bit obscure as without being in a car it wasnt very obvious when to start breaking, as you only get a one dimesional perspective!!- it was followed by a lecture about the effects of accidents (no gruesome pics).

...i still gave positive remarks in the feedback - as it does remind you of the basics and i was pleased they offered the alternative.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links