Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

Thought I would share a recent experience with you, and whilst I know you cant lock the keys in the car...I did. :crybaby:

I was in Caernarfon some 300 miles from home, left the hotel opened up the lexus by duly touching the drivers door handle, then opened the rear door drivers side, hung up my suit jacket with keys in pocket and shut the door. A few minutes later I went back to the car and it was locked, :tsktsk: I dont know how cus I've tried it since and I cant make it do it..all I can guess is that my suit got squeezed between the door and rear seat and it accidently pressed the lock button... a complete fluke. Anyway thats just the start..

The RAC arrived and after about an hour and a half managed to get the bonnet open, after a further hour gave up looking for the blue and red wire (starts the ignition evidently) during this time lots of calls to RAC technical. After another two hours of trying every trick the chap knew he eventually gave up and said we would have to break the rear quarterlight.. 20 or so wacks with a lump hammer and punch....it wouldn't break. He advised me to break any other window would cause serious damage to door/inner panel so it would have to be recovered to a dealer. However where the car was in the garage meant it would need to be jacked up on dollies first then manouvered out before they could load it on a vehicle, its now about 14:00 in the afternoon and he informs me that they couldn't do it today.. :tsktsk:

I had a really important meeting the foolowing day in Banbury so I sent him on his way disgruntled :angry: since he had never ever failed before, I phoned the wife and got the spare set couriered to me (240 bloomin quid) they arrived at 10:00 (rain and accidents slowed down their arrival) so I eventiually left and got to my hotel at 02:30 in the morning. :duh:

So ...

as the Lexus confucius says

"Lexus Locking and Security is fool proof and ... only a fool would put his keys in his jacket pocket and hang it up!"

Hope you all found that amusing I do now but not at the time

Col

Can you actually sit inside the ca, press the button and lock the doors? I've never tried it...

Feel it for you though...this courier malarchy is a good business though

Yep if you sit in the car and press lock it does, its the only possible way it could of happened ie pressing the key inside the car. Supporting my theory is that when I tried pressing the black button on the doorhandle (hey I was trying everything) it beeped which suggests it knew the key was in the car.

There is however another possibility..... which is a bit scary, I am due to trade it in in the next few weeks for a new one... perhaps it knew and was trying to teach me a lesson :ohmy: perhaps I will walk everywhere for the next three weeks...

Col

Just a thought Col, did you actually open the drivers door?

In my Mondeo if you unlock the car and open any door inc boot bar the drivers door leave you key in the car after 3-4 mins the doors automatically lock. maybe this happens on the Lexus??

"Lexus Locking and Security is fool proof and ... only a fool would put his keys in his jacket pocket and hang it up!"

Hmmm, that really is food for thought. Particularly as leaving the key in my jacket and hanging it up is what I do on a daily basis. Thanks for the tip.

I have managed to lock the wife's key for my car when I locked it although I did have my key on me so I wasn't locked out. I just put it down to the radio waves in the local facinity. Pretty much the same problem as can happen when you cannot unlock the car and can't start it as it does not recognise that a key is present. Luckily I did read on this forum that holding the fob over the start button gets around it. :)

But thinking about it you need the fob on you outside the car to lock the car anyway don't you?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links