Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spare Key 'gone To Sleep'?

Hi - I wanted to use my spare key and it doesnt work - the light on the unit lights up but neither the proximity nor the unlock/lock work - the car just does not respond. It is not interference from the daily key cos that was well out of range.

I plan to call the dealer but I just wondered if there is something I don't know and it has somehow gone to sleep?

It could be that it has never worked but I am sure the dealer went through them both at handover and it would seem odd that they overlooked it.

My daily one works fine.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Hi - I wanted to use my spare key and it doesnt work - the light on the unit lights up but neither the proximity nor the unlock/lock work - the car just does not respond. It is not interference from the daily key cos that was well out of range.

I plan to call the dealer but I just wondered if there is something I don't know and it has somehow gone to sleep?

It could be that it has never worked but I am sure the dealer went through them both at handover and it would seem odd that they overlooked it.

My daily one works fine.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I've got the same problem, and don't understand it as it's the spare that's stopped working, not the one I use regularly. you'd think if it was a Battery issue the one you use most would be the first to expire.

It's a month short of it's annual service so I'll make sure they change both batteries...perhaps they only changed the one last time :whistling:

Funny you should mention this today. I had a problem on Saturday with my keys. I left them on the mantlepiece (both my daily one and the spare, which is on the wife's key ring) and when I went out to the car to go to the match, it wouldn't work. Neither would the wife's. I went around to the boot and that opened fine. So I walked around the car holding the key quite close and eventually it opened. Then, it wasn't being detected when I got into the drivers seat, so I did as the instructions said and held it close to the start button and hey presto!!!! it started (the little light on the key flashed when I held it close).

So why am I telling you all this? ... cos it occured to me later that I'd left my mobile phone on top of the keys and had received a text message whilst it was there. So perhaps this has caused the problem, or perhaps it was some other random electronic interference. Anyways, it's been fine since.

Thanks all - I was passing the dealer yesterday and called in. The remote is duff - they changed the Battery and re-tuned it but nothing so they have ordered a new one - I call back in Friday to get it and have it tuned.

Does seem odd - the service guy said he had never seen it before and said his techie had not either - I know they often say that but i believe him.

After 21mnths. my main key failed but the spare was fine:I had the batteries replaced in the dead unit & it has worked fine ever since.

Tel

Ps/Always carry both when I visit Europe of-course.

Tel

So why am I telling you all this? ... cos it occured to me later that I'd left my mobile phone on top of the keys and had received a text message whilst it was there. So perhaps this has caused the problem, or perhaps it was some other random electronic interference. Anyways, it's been fine since.

I leave my keys in my pocket next to my (2) mobile phones all the time and not had this sort of problem before.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links