Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Carbon Bonnet

VVProtocolVV

Got myself a seibon carbon bonnet, but need some info before i go and install it. I notice theres no holes in the carbon bonnet for the lugs, so my question is this :-

1) Can i use any drill bit to drill a hole into the carbon bonnet?

2) Do i even need to have the sound damping material thats on the OEM bonnet?

3) Can i use normal car wax on carbon materials?

mmm...i think thats it for now..(got the gear, but no idea...lol)

if u use a normal drill bit it will splinter....... we used to have a work a reamer style drill bit and that left perfectly clean holes in composites.

If u cant get hold of drill bits for composites then i would drill the holes in stages working upto the size required and using a high speed.

I drilled through carbon no problem at all with a normal drill bit, just make sure it's a good sharp bit and take it easy. Normal car wax is fine to use on carbon but depending on what wax you use (I use Meguires nxt) you won't get the best shine possible, best product I have found is Autoglym super resin polish :)

Got myself a seibon carbon bonnet, but need some info before i go and install it. I notice theres no holes in the carbon bonnet for the lugs, so my question is this :-

1) Can i use any drill bit to drill a hole into the carbon bonnet?

2) Do i even need to have the sound damping material thats on the OEM bonnet?

3) Can i use normal car wax on carbon materials?

mmm...i think thats it for now..(got the gear, but no idea...lol)

1) if it is brand new and sharp yes but if you are not confident, Rob's advice is wiser. :P

2) it's up to you, if you want to fit it, you will have to drill holes to fit the clips

3) yes, it has a standard clear coat on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the CF bonnet last week, took me about an hour and a half. Most of the time was spent filing the jet washer holes as they were way too smal to fit the OEM ones, but apart from that everything fitted pretty neatly. I left out the sound damping material and the plastic seal at the front. Just got the struts from Prolex in record time, so gonna install them this weekend...bet it bloody rains again!! Will post pictures, but probably get diss'ed by Wozza for spoiling a perfectly nice platinum colour lexus with carbon hood LOL.

Got some pictures of the car at last, but weather wasn't the best, very cold and cloudy. At least i got to wash and wax my car b4 it started to rain. Also got the white alloys on this weekend which is a bonus.

sideview.jpg

sideview01.jpg

sideview02.jpg

sideview03.jpg

sideview04.jpg

Offside has gone up slightly after installing the struts, but i can live with it.

offside.jpg

Nearside has slightly more of a gap than the nearside (mostly by the front windscreen end). Not checked yet but maybe i can adjust the bonnet catch slightly to the nearside (if there is any adjustment of any sort).

nearside.jpg

Bonnet with the struts.

struts.jpg

I really like the flat chrome valve, which i discovered by accident a few weeks back while searching air valves to go with white alloys.

valve.jpg

The bonnet actually takes some getting used to and in the images it doesn't do it any justice as in real life you can see the carbon material shining rather than it looking like i sprayed the bonnet black, or is being primed. Its also the first time i used maguires liquid wax. Smells really fruity and much better finish than the turtle wax i used before, but the next step is to use dodo juice. In all im very happy with the mods and i've already got a TS style front lip on order, which i won't put on until i gather together all the side skirts and rear bumper. I have yet replaced the wheel caps, which is also white.

Yeah, not many people like white wheels on a platinum lexus. Think it looks extra odd as i have no body kit and like you said its very bright contrast compared to platinum colour, but i'll keep the white wheels as winter wheels and maybe change back to standard colour later on down the line or even buy a new set of alloys in maybe 18" or 19".

Have you got any more details on the valves? I like those a lot B)

Yeah they're Richbrook Flush Fit wheel valves, got them from eBay. Just checked on there, but theres none about. But heres a link to an example.

HERE

Cheers, might have to invest in some of those before the next tyre changes are due.

Have you got any more details on the valves? I like those a lot B)

Yeah they're Richbrook Flush Fit wheel valves, got them from eBay. Just checked on there, but theres none about. But heres a link to an example.

HERE

hi, bonnet looks great B)

remember to put a small amount of copper grease on your dust caps otherwise they may corode and wont be able to get air to your tyre :)

not sure about the wheels :blush: may look better after a couple of months when they've weathered,sorry :winky: :)

think the washer jets need to be c/coded to match bonnet

Loving the bonnet mate, I'm always a fan of the weave :)

Wheels are to your taste and what makes it your car, regardless as to whether or not I or anyone gets wood over it lol.

Nice effort though mate - which bonnet struts did you get in the end?

All the best,

Jamie

Got the ones from Prolex, think they're made by FIGS. You just have to be careful when its about to close as the struts have no way of keeping the weight of the bonnet and can slam at the last 30cm or so (which it has done..twice) lol.

Looks great m8 I even like the wheels sort off, maybe, I'm thinking it's looking rally style when it's done. I'm not a huge fan of the C/F I like the cars colour to match but I must admit it looks really good & I need to get some bonnet struts as well...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links