Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Gearbox

Paul_IS220d

Hi guys,

I've had an IS220d Sport for about 3 months now. The car has done 16k miles but the gearbox is what I can only describe as 'horrible'. Ive come from a Mondeo ST TDCi which I really enjoyed driving. I absolutely love the look of the IS and definitely prefer it to the Mondeo but I just wish I could say the same for the driving experience. 1st to 2nd gear can only be described as a real 'effort' as sometimes it just doesnt want to go in. Also, I can physically feel the lumps and bumps when I'm changing up. Does everyone have the same opinion of the gearbox or is it just me? Your views would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Paul, the gearbox certainly isn't a 220d strong point - in fact Toyotas generally aren't renowned for their slick shifting. There've been quite a few posts previously about how it needs to 'have the edges knocked off it' and it probably will improve over time. I find changing down from 2nd to 1st is the worst - quite obstructive. Best not to rush it - the gentler you change, the better the response. Comparing it to an ST isn't a good move; its gearbox will definitely be sharper than a Lexus manual.

JFB

• 2 weeks later...

I'd give the gearbox a little bit of time to bed in, knock the corners off it... to be honest I found the gear box a little hard at first myself, 2nd was a real pain...but now i rearly if ever notice a problem with it... I think the fact the the box is slightly angled toward the driver takes a little getting use't to aswell... I don't think the box will ever make it as a racers choice though.

• 4 months later...

I've had my gearbox rebuilt twice and eventually replaced by test driving 4 other new cars and picking the best gearbox from one of them. Still not great - it's just a crap design - no questions asked. And I'm lucky - I've got the good version in the sport! Those with a normal diesel final ratio still have this and the useless sixth gear!

Car now at 27,000 odd miles and I think I'm used to it now. STill sometimes refuses point blank to go into first if I have slowed down at a junction and then stopped, handbrake on. Needs to roll backwards first evn after an engine restart, clutch in/out/in/out etc. Even the ropey gearbox on my Impreza was better.

Brian.

I have to agree that the gearbox isn't the smoothest thing... 1st gear is a bit awkward, no matter how you try to get accustomed to it. But I've found a way to get around this: the Sport version is quite capable of launching on 2nd gear. In fact, it feels almost as fast as on 1st, but way smoother! The normal version is, of course, a different thing altogether because the 2nd gear there is too long for launch.

• 2 months later...
Hi guys,

I've had an IS220d Sport for about 3 months now. The car has done 16k miles but the gearbox is what I can only describe as 'horrible'. Ive come from a Mondeo ST TDCi which I really enjoyed driving. I absolutely love the look of the IS and definitely prefer it to the Mondeo but I just wish I could say the same for the driving experience. 1st to 2nd gear can only be described as a real 'effort' as sometimes it just doesnt want to go in. Also, I can physically feel the lumps and bumps when I'm changing up. Does everyone have the same opinion of the gearbox or is it just me? Your views would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello, I have had this problem from new and my gearbox, has been adjusted twice, don't know how and Lexus have made modifications to the selectors twice. I'm now on about 33,000 miles and it probably won't get any better. It is better than it was but not good. 1st to 2nd is the worst and at times is very stiff and clunks in. I find that if I change gear slowly then it is mpostly better.

I have repeatedly had a go at Lexus for not offering an auto option on the deisel and about the quality of the gearbox. To be honest, this is the single thing that may stop me buying another Lexus.

My partner drives a new Seat and her gear change is fantastically smooth, as I constantly remind my dealer, so why can't the Lexus one perform as well.

• 9 months later...

Hi

I too have had my IS220d for 3 months - 28k miles. I agree with the other posts but my bigger concern is when I change from 3rd to 2nd, especially on a cold engine is sometimes slips out of 2nd. I am wondering about getting Lexus to have a look at it while its still in warranty. Anyone else haver that problem and how happy were Lexus to do gearbox work? :question:

Hi guys,

Sorry to inform you guys if you didn't already know the is220 is a terrible car with so many faults it's unbelivable.

I have some friends on the inside who feed me the info and "Lexus" the brand is having some problems with the 220 and the Rx series.

220 problems

Gearbox, injectors, steering pump, ECU, tyre wear issues bad trim and of course the famous problem of the brand alloys.

RX problems

Steering pump, batteries, some ECU's, bad trim and the alloys.

Don't understand why they let it get so bad :crying:

Some other issues that are not common knowledge yet.

Hi

I too have had my IS220d for 3 months - 28k miles. I agree with the other posts but my bigger concern is when I change from 3rd to 2nd, especially on a cold engine is sometimes slips out of 2nd. I am wondering about getting Lexus to have a look at it while its still in warranty. Anyone else haver that problem and how happy were Lexus to do gearbox work? :question:

I've had repairs done to my gearbox without any hassle or argument. A modified selector fork has been fitted to improve the change from 2nd to 3rd. It was "catching" and the new fork has improved it. This was done as a "satisfaction" issue under warranty. Unfortunately the re-assembly of the box seems not to have been done properly which caused further problems. The car is at the dealer at the moment and they are swapping the box for another one, without any argument. I just hope the replacement is not worse than what I had :o :rolleyes::excl: .

I think what it probably boils down to is which dealer you use, some will be pretty good about it, others will try & fob you off.

Get it seen to under warranty while you can. You ought not to have any problem with the dealer - when all is said & done the cost doesn't fall on them, Lexus pay them, but may be not as much as you would get charged outside warranty. Having said that, it might just be that Lexus are leaning on them to keep the

number of warranty repairs down - it might be costing them too much :hehe: .

Hi

I've had repairs done to my gearbox without any hassle or argument. A modified selector fork has been fitted to improve the change from 2nd to 3rd. It was "catching" and the new fork has improved it. This was done as a "satisfaction" issue under warranty. Unfortunately the re-assembly of the box seems not to have been done properly which caused further problems. The car is at the dealer at the moment and they are swapping the box for another one, without any argument. I just hope the replacement is not worse than what I had :o :rolleyes::excl: .

I think what it probably boils down to is which dealer you use, some will be pretty good about it, others will try & fob you off.

Get it seen to under warranty while you can. You ought not to have any problem with the dealer - when all is said & done the cost doesn't fall on them, Lexus pay them, but may be not as much as you would get charged outside warranty. Having said that, it might just be that Lexus are leaning on them to keep the

Collected my car from the dealer today. They tell me that the gearbox has been swapped nd it certainly seemed on the 45 mile run home to be better. 1st & 2nd gear were far easier to select and third also seems better. Time will, (of course), tell, particularly when starting up first thing on a cold morning.

BTW - I've never had a problem with it slipping out of 2nd.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Collected my car from the dealer today. They tell me that the gearbox has been swapped nd it certainly seemed on the 45 mile run home to be better. 1st & 2nd gear were far easier to select and third also seems better. Time will, (of course), tell, particularly when starting up first thing on a cold morning.

Hi

I have a is250, the gearbox is pretty rough to be honest, noisy and arkward, it has had the selctor mods and is going back in for internal replacements next week

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links