Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I don't know if this has a separate thread (please point me in right direction if it has).

In the lexus IS250 digi-brochure (ie the pdf file downloaded from the lexus gb website) it states, and i quote, "the system can play mp3 and WMA files from a CD or DVD".

but elsewhere it says only DVD-A can be used for audio.

before I burn a DVD with mp3, wma or in aac format can I ask those of you who have tried to let me know what worked and what didn't and also what mark IS250/220d you have.

thanks

okay, answered my own question with a trial DVD.... looking on the net if it interests anyone there is a free DVD-A software at the following site:

Adobeman's DVDA GUI: http://home.comcast.net/~adobeman/DVDAGUI/

it is supposed to create DVD-a from MP3 files. This should then work on the MLS. pretty basic format and don't think there will be much in the way of menu systems.

might give it a go this pm... will let you know

Was testing this yesterday... Burnt a CD with Nero which is the default on my work laptop and it worked fine, tags and all... Did the same with a DVD but it didnt work so definately interested to see how your test pan out! :whistling:

yeh i tried DVD with mp3's and did not work on MLS. Kit let me know how you get on as would be great to have a 4GB dvd with mp3s.

the software (as any dvd-a) converts the mp3's to wav files then makes files similar to that on a video dvd (the folders video_ts and audio_ts). this being the case it seems that 4gb of audio is only going to be around 80-90 tracks.

i have made the file images but have not burnt the dvd yet.

given those figures and typical mp3 files being <7mb it makes more sense to burn mp3 cd's (700mb discs)

It's all quite frankly a waste of effort from my experience.

Using Roxio I created and successfully played a DVD Jukebox disc. It's fine, but the Nanny's destroy all the fun. You can't easily choose different tracks or navigate the menu's when moving 'cos the screen goes blank (like watching a DVD on the move), and if you switch the car off it goes back to the menu. A complete waste of time.

You defo can't play a DVD crammed with MP3's on the version I have - not sure if the 07 MY cars can...

You have to remember that a DVD A disc is essentially a DVD, with just the audio file and no pictures, so I reckon the Nanny's in the system will still play havoc, though the "Tune File" knob should be able to take you from track to track...

The New C Class has a 4GB HDD in the dash, and the MB dealer told me yesterday that he thinks (!) the Merc Comand system can play MP3's on a DVD (They're still tryig to flog me a Merc!!). The latter is what the Lexus should have been able to do. Why they did this I'll never know.

PS - MP3's on CD's works fine - recorded at 320bps the quality is pretty OK too

Yep Merc's COMAND does play MP3s off a DVD (our 2 year old car does it) but there's only a single slot, so it's effectively the same as the Lexus 6CD changer full of MP3 CDs........I agree though, not sure why it doesn't play MP3s on DVD!

I'd think twice about buying a Merc though, when we got the CLS, it was supposed to be one of the new "properly built" mercs, but 2 years on, it's had its first 2 mechanical failures - one is the cornering light function (which is pretty useless anyway) and the other is the ESP, which in my book is pretty important! Coupled with that, it's been in and out of the dealers now three times as they keep thinking the part has arrived, and then once the car gets there realise that it hasn't yet and sending it back!

Sorry about the slight rant, but we're seriously thinking about swapping it for a Lexus as soon as the warranty period ends!

So CD's with MP3's are definately the way to go then...

Anyone have any experience with the Tom system on ProLex that overrides the system so you can use fully when on the move?

Would have thought that would be the solution combined with the MP3 CD's...

Yep Merc's COMAND does play MP3s off a DVD (our 2 year old car does it) but there's only a single slot, so it's effectively the same as the Lexus 6CD changer full of MP3 CDs........I agree though, not sure why it doesn't play MP3s on DVD!

I'd think twice about buying a Merc though, when we got the CLS, it was supposed to be one of the new "properly built" mercs, but 2 years on, it's had its first 2 mechanical failures - one is the cornering light function (which is pretty useless anyway) and the other is the ESP, which in my book is pretty important! Coupled with that, it's been in and out of the dealers now three times as they keep thinking the part has arrived, and then once the car gets there realise that it hasn't yet and sending it back!

Sorry about the slight rant, but we're seriously thinking about swapping it for a Lexus as soon as the warranty period ends!

The new C Class has a 6DVD changer, and a 4gb HDD, so that's upto 55gb of storage/MP3's/Movies (I assumed the DVD changer can play Dual Layer disks in my calculation).

I don't know whether it's software or hardware (!) that won't allow MP3's to be played in the MLS via DVD's, but it is a bit of a flaw.

:offtopic:

I too wouldn't buy a Merc in the current climate. They need a whole generation of cars that are like they bused to be. They've started improving again, but it'll take a while yet before people get teh confidence back. I think that new C Class is very well made, but the whole experience needs to improve and time will tell.

So CD's with MP3's are definately the way to go then...

Anyone have any experience with the Tom system on ProLex that overrides the system so you can use fully when on the move?

Would have thought that would be the solution combined with the MP3 CD's...

I just plug my iPod in. I've only used the in-build CD player once I think

i guess there is always the aux port and ipod (or other mp3 player) option... shame that doesn't get controlled via the touch screen.

I received a card from my dealer telling me the iPod kit (as per Toyota) is available for the IS now. With that fitted the iPod is controllable via the standard controls.

The new C Class has a 6DVD changer, and a 4gb HDD, so that's upto 55gb of storage/MP3's/Movies (I assumed the DVD changer can play Dual Layer disks in my calculation).

I don't know whether it's software or hardware (!) that won't allow MP3's to be played in the MLS via DVD's, but it is a bit of a flaw.

:offtopic:

I too wouldn't buy a Merc in the current climate. They need a whole generation of cars that are like they bused to be. They've started improving again, but it'll take a while yet before people get teh confidence back. I think that new C Class is very well made, but the whole experience needs to improve and time will tell.

unfortunately the c-class 6dvd changer isnt standard. its only optional extra.

I heard back from Lexus and I don't think they understand the mp3 dvd issue, here is the reply I got:

"Thank you for contacting Lexus GB.

I can confirm to you that the MP3 files stored on a DVD disc will be able to play in the Mark Levinson audio system. However you will need to make sure that the DVD disc that the MP3 files will be stored on, has the official DVD Audio mark.

The following DVD disc formats may not be playable in the DVD system:

DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM. Please refer to the category DVD compatibility in the Lexus vehicle owners manual.

If I can be of any further assistance, then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Sean Lester

Lexus Customer Account Manager

Phone: 0845 278 8888

Email: lexusinfo@lexuscontactcentre.co.uk

Webster: www.lexus.co.uk"

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links