Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Evening all (at least it is at the time of writing)

I wonder if I might ask a simple question. Has anybody out there tried to play a dual-sided disc in the Mark Levinson DVD player in their IS250?

The player hasn't recognised the SACD layer of those hybrid CD/SACD discs that I've tried, although DVD-A and dts-CD have played splendidly with tremendous results.

I was musing upon buying one or two dual discs, but I don't want to waste my money if they won't play in the car. Hell, it's the best sound system I've got!

Thanks in anticipation of your collected experience...

Evening all (at least it is at the time of writing)

I wonder if I might ask a simple question. Has anybody out there tried to play a dual-sided disc in the Mark Levinson DVD player in their IS250?

The player hasn't recognised the SACD layer of those hybrid CD/SACD discs that I've tried, although DVD-A and dts-CD have played splendidly with tremendous results.

I was musing upon buying one or two dual discs, but I don't want to waste my money if they won't play in the car. Hell, it's the best sound system I've got!

Thanks in anticipation of your collected experience...

Any reasonably modern (last 5 years) should be able to play dual layer DVDs no problem. Hybrid CD/SACD wouldn't play unless the drive is SACD compatible and carries the SACD logo (highly likely in any car IMHO).

Dual sided discs (very rare these days) should play, but of course you'll have to flip them over half way through (I can't imagine a car player would have two sets of lasers)

I'm pretty sure DVD-A and SACD are rival formats (similar to bluray and HDDVD) so because the ML system plays DVD-A, I doubt it also plays SACD......

I'd check the manual to be sure though :)

Not tried SACD yet but mine wouldn't play a dual layer disc (single sided, 8.5gb DVD) at all. Didn't want to know...

Oh dear, that's not good. Most DVDs I come across are dual layer.

I'm not being funny or anything, but why would anyone actually want to play DVDs in a car (on the screen in the front console)? Am I missing something? :unsure:

Not tried SACD yet but mine wouldn't play a dual layer disc (single sided, 8.5gb DVD) at all. Didn't want to know...

Oh dear, that's not good. Most DVDs I come across are dual layer.

I'm not being funny or anything, but why would anyone actually want to play DVDs in a car (on the screen in the front console)? Am I missing something? :unsure:

I've stuck a few music DVD-videos in while driving to work and back. You get the 5.1 surround sound, but no pictures. Good enough as a listening experience nonetheless. I haven't bothered trying to play any other DVD-video. The one DVD-A that I tried played splendidly and the MLS handles the high resolution 5.1 material very nicely indeed.

I've played a few DVD+RW with AAC-encoded audio on (is that right? All these standards puzzle me a little) and that was fine as well. Lots of albums (approx 17 unless I'm mistaken) in very acceptable quality.

As I mentioned earlier, I've played half a dozen hybrid CD/SACD and they played as CDs. The manual is a little cagey and says that SACD might not play. Well the hybrids certainly don't, but I've got no non-hybrid SACDs so I wouldn't know if it's the presence of the CD layer that prevents the SACD layer playing.

As for DVD-A and SACD being competing standards, yes, it's quite true, but there are plenty of players out now that will happily play both. I've only recently picked up a Pioneer DV600AV, which upscales DVD-video to 1080p and plays DVD-A and SACD too, as well as dts-CD. Not bad for £130, but I digress...

I suspect that most dual discs (that's one side CD and the other DVD, rather than dual layer, one-sided DVDs or double sided DVDS) don't have DVD-audio encoding on the DVD side,which should be OK as far as I can tell from the manual, which only goes as far as saying the DVD-A material won't be played from CD/DVD dual discs. I believe that the discs I'm thinking of buying have dts and dolby 5.1 tracks, but no DVD-A as such. But if anyone has first-hand experience of these blighters I'd be interested to know.

I may have said that earlier!

Finally, I THINK I've played dual layer DVDs without any bother, but I'm not sure so I may go and give it a try just for the hell of it.

Cheers...