Sign in to follow this  
Steve_D

Your Mpg Dial, How Does It Work?

I recently reset the ECU (2 fuses), now I think my MPG dial has changed with regards to how it functions, hopefully some of you guys will recall or have a check of yours next time your on the road.

At for example 40mph when I release the accelerator the needle goes to 80mpg.

When idling stationary the needle is at 0 (zero).

Pulling up to traffic lights, at about 10mph the needle slowly goes to 0 then pulling away it stays at 0 until about 10 mph then it re-activates.

Are yours the same!!

Thanks in advance :winky:

Thats the sort of behaviour I'd expect from an MPG dial in any car....what was it doing before?

Ditto, all seems right there.

When you release the Accelerator when your moving of course your mpg's gonna go up cause your moving and using very little petrol,

Stav

Thats the sort of behaviour I'd expect from an MPG dial in any car....what was it doing before?

I'm pretty sure that stationery idling the needle went to 80mpg, same when at traffic lights etc.

No it would go to zero, cause your engine is running and using petrol but your not moving so if you sat there for ages you'd use a gallon of fuel for no miles!

i.e. 0 mpg!

Stav

how can you be doing 80miles per gallon when stationary?! sounds like its working fine now but maybe wasnt before!

80 mpg idling makes sense to me rather than zero but i'm no lexus expert

why does it make sense?

If you just leave your car ticking over and stationry till its used a full gallon, how many miles have you done?

the answer: 0, zero, squat, none.

So your MPG would be?

Thats right; 0 miles per gallon!

why does it make sense?

If you just leave your car ticking over and stationry till its used a full gallon, how many miles have you done?

the answer: 0, zero, squat, none.

So your MPG would be?

Thats right; 0 miles per gallon!

OK you got me there!

No it would go to zero, cause your engine is running and using petrol but your not moving so if you sat there for ages you'd use a gallon of fuel for no miles!

i.e. 0 mpg!

Stav

at the moment,

my needle always reads towards 0mpg

.. :whistling:

doesnt matter if iam doing 30pmh or 50 :D

I'm pretty sure that stationery idling the needle went to 80mpg, same when at traffic lights etc.

As others have said it should read zero when idling but it probably reads 80mpg when stationary with the engine stopped (so long as the ignition is on). When the engine is stopped the maths becomes a division by zero (i.e. no gallons being used) so 80mpg is just as valid as 0mpg in this case.

it should still read 0mpg with the electrics on and the engine off tho