Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I would think the front are louder, but that's an uneducated guess.

I'm interested in this too Nitmoi. The car I am about to get has two Kumho K11's on the front (I saw your other thread), I'm not that keen on them but they are fairly new. The other two will probably be replaced and I aim to get Dunlop 270's.

The usual advice is I believe to put the new tyres on the rear but as the front Kumhos are quite new also it probably doesn't matter in this case? Therefore I am thinking of switching the Kumhos to the rear and put the new Dunlops on the front, on the theory that they will be a little quieter and I will get more benefit of that by having them up front where I would hear tyre noise more.

Anyone care to comment on whether that makes sense?

Just spoke to local Lexus dealer about new tyres for LS 430. He recommended the original Dunlop 270's, as already discussed on here (I decided not to get into the Japan/Germany thing).

I then asked whether he recommended front or rear from the noise point of view, as it presently has new Kumho's on the front. His advice was put the new Dunlops on the rear! Something about the car being designed for rear passenger comfort/noise.

I was surprised, and I must say I didn't follow his logic for why that would be so, but he's the expert so that's what I'm going to do.

Hi

The "put new tyres on the back" advise is based on the fact that if the tyres with the most grip, i.e. the new ones go on the back then the car will, at the limit of roadholding, start to understeer instead of oversteer.

Understeer is easier for the average person to handle as just backing off will usually correct the skid....

But most of our cars have traction control along with lots of other clever bits of electronics to stop us crashing so I don't suppose it really matters.

I've just put the two new ones on the front as it was these two tyres that were being changed. I'm still here, haven't crashed.... yet, and am happy with it.

Dare say someone has another idea on this but hey, wouldn't life be boring if we all agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete

Hi

The "put new tyres on the back" advise is based on the fact that if the tyres with the most grip, i.e. the new ones go on the back then the car will, at the limit of roadholding, start to understeer instead of oversteer.

Understeer is easier for the average person to handle as just backing off will usually correct the skid....

But most of our cars have traction control along with lots of other clever bits of electronics to stop us crashing so I don't suppose it really matters.

I've just put the two new ones on the front as it was these two tyres that were being changed. I'm still here, haven't crashed.... yet, and am happy with it.

Dare say someone has another idea on this but hey, wouldn't life be boring if we all agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete

Pete,

Agree wholeheartedly with your comments except the one about traction control and clever bits - I'm not too sure when TC was standard on an LS but mine certainly hasnt got it. I've never had a car with it and I'm not too sure whether I'd like the 'car taking over' - I've been driving too long! The only bit of clever stuff I've got is ABS!

Dave

Cruise ......... hmmmmm - Certainly like it on long empty motorways and on motorways with the caravan on the back, but otherwise its not much use - now I could (I think) get used to Adaptive cruise - all I need is the money for the car that goes round it :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

It's a fact that you hear more noise from the front. Here are 2 examples you will under stand. First try sitting at the front of an aeroplane it's very quiet but not at the back because you are sitting behind the source when at the back. Secondly if you are on the ground and a very low flying aircraft comes along you won't hear much till it's gone past. Here ends the science lesson.

Agree wholeheartedly with your comments except the one about traction control and clever bits - I'm not too sure when TC was standard on an LS but mine certainly hasnt got it. I've never had a car with it and I'm not too sure whether I'd like the 'car taking over' - I've been driving too long! The only bit of clever stuff I've got is ABS!

Dave

mines a 91 celsior and has the traction control and its a lot safer in the conditions we have at the moment with it on not turned off,dont mind sideways but not when there's a bus coming the other way. hehehehehe :shutit: