Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

One For The Stereo Guys?

Hiya :D

I've just brought a new sub box for my IS and wanted to know if any of you guys knew the approximate amount of time to run them in till i can turn up the levels as i dont want to blow them up? :whistling: I got the Fli twin active 12" designed by VIBE, Running two 12" subs 600watts RMS and 2000watts peak with a monoblock 500rms Fli amp which is matched for the subs and built in to the enclosure which has a 0-12db bass boost and a frequency of 50hz-250hz :) Which i think sounds very good for an off the shelf set up? Any ideas on the time to run them in or the best way to do it? i'e: low levels to start then slowly increase the levels as time goes on??

Cheers..

Chris... :D

You dont need to run them in they will change sound after a bit though. "Running in" just makes the rubber around the cone a little softer and easier for both you and the amp to move, they will probably get a bit louder over a bit of time and will sound a little different however, no official running in measures are needed for modern speakers

You dont need to run them in they will change sound after a bit though. "Running in" just makes the rubber around the cone a little softer and easier for both you and the amp to move, they will probably get a bit louder over a bit of time and will sound a little different however, no official running in measures are needed for modern speakers

Thanks matey it was just a precaution as when i had a set a few years back i was told to run them in and never did ending up with a ripped rubber surround so thought it was worth asking to see if they still needed it as today they seem a lot better made and the quality side has improved quite a bit :)

Leave the bass boost alone for a week or so under normal use matey and careful with the gains,

then start to push the subwoofer level up a bit and use the boost sparingly (always)

Thanks matey just didnt want to damage them as they do sound very good when i heard them at there demo day not too over the top but have an amazing kick :whistling: i'll set the gain up like it says in the book then turn it down a touch to make sure there safe?

Do you think a power cap would be of use on these Sir Wozza or should the standard Battery power cope with the load as i'm not adding much more for the time being? :winky:

There are those that like Power Caps, & those that really hate them and quote

all kind of reasons as to why they cause more problems than they solve.

(I like them but only very good ones not the cheap £30 ones off the bay)

I take a hint from the Sound - Off guys, they normally fit them, but have

uprated charging systems &/or uprated Batteries too.

In your case a small & easy test will see how the car is coping.

Park your car facing a garage door at night and see if by turning your stereo

up to near max comfortable level if your lights are dimming under load at

idle engine speed.

(do this after you have given things a week or so to run in)

This will give an indication of the load being more than the idle current produced.

A higher power (Ah) rated Battery helps here and can be a solution on it's own in smaller

installs but a Power Cap should help also.

Dependng on how your system expands will depend on the solution being

1. Upgraded Battery or

2. Std Battery & Power Cap

3. Second Battery (boot mounted) & Split Charging System

4. Combination of Power Cap & Second Battery (boot mounted) & Split Charging System

Let me know how you get on or if you need any other help matey, but if your system is

staying at it's current level a Power Cap should really be enough.

Sir Wozza

nah matey, I'm good but not that good :winky:

Just plain old Wozza will do :D

As for "Sir Wozza" nah matey, I'm good but not that good :winky:

Just plain old Wozza will do :D

I was just being polite matey :D

Thanks for your help i'll give it a week or so then see how the car copes with the system as there will be more to follow as you know modding just doesnt stop at the first bit you do :winky: Mind you might see the box when we go to the TDI dyno day and let me know what you think and maybe point me in the right direction :D

I just talk stuff that sounds plausible,

in reality I really know nothing :yahoo:

I know matey i was just being polite for a change :P :lol: But i'll give the load thing a go as it sounds a good way to test the application and to see if a cap is needed or not? And i've just put a higher ampage Battery on the car as the old 1 was dead and had quite a low ampage rating so should help a bit :winky:

I just talk stuff that sounds plausible,

in reality I really know nothing :yahoo:

I know somewhere that would give you a job talking like that :P

I didn't call him to plan that, he just kinda does it anyway :winky:

:offtopic:

does that mean i can get my sub box back then dear brother :alien:

Yes young brother I've also got a spare 1 now :P

I also have a used 12" sub box free if anyone wants one

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links