Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is F - Reviews

I never really pay too much attention to US reviews as they seem to look at cars differently to us over here........but cheers for the links as they do provide some interesting facts :)

One question, that's actually now the second time I've read about the gearbox without understanding what it means.......

It keeps being mentioned that in manual mode, after first gear the torque converter is locked up - does that mean it is changing gear as a normal sequential manual would (like SMG for example)?

I never really pay too much attention to US reviews as they seem to look at cars differently to us over here........but cheers for the links as they do provide some interesting facts :)

One question, that's actually now the second time I've read about the gearbox without understanding what it means.......

It keeps being mentioned that in manual mode, after first gear the torque converter is locked up - does that mean it is changing gear as a normal sequential manual would (like SMG for example)?

To be honest i don't understand the torque converter myself, maybe someone else on the forum might know?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/fi.../lexus_isf.html

first drive from autoexpress too, a british point of view

Yes I've read this one, I'm a bit confused because on this review they say it's very impressive on the track but they have not driven it on the road, but they have given the impression it's not going to be good on the road?

what people are suggesting is that,Lexus may have designed this car for the track and afterwards attempted to adapt it to the road,as opposed to be being a more road orientated car.So its better on a track than a road.

Wow! SO now it's 411bhp...or is t 423, or is it 402? No one seems to know...

The price is clearly incorrect, but $64000 in the USA could be right....(AutoX may have just applied the $ to £ conversion??). I reckon it'll be £45-48k...

How can they give it *** out of 5 stars and not even have driven it properly? One day we'll actually get a totally unbiased view here in the UK!!

Either way, I still think that RS4 just steals it from a looks perspective...

To be honest i don't understand the torque converter myself, maybe someone else on the forum might know?

Hey Guys

Just for the sake of the confused! A torque converted is in effect a fluid based clutch that sits on front of an auto box, In the case of the IS-f those clever Lexus boys have created a box that mechanically locks up creating a solid link between the fly wheel and the tranny, the result is that you dont get that horrible whine off the engine as it spins away for a second or so as it tries to get enough fluid into it to cause its internal turbine to turn the transmission and thus the wheels, if any of you have driven a BMW auto or Merc auto you'll appreciate the total lack of fun a normal auto takes out of driving anything what a decent amount of power in it. The new 8-speed in the IS-f is supposedly that good that its smoother than a DSG, and let me tell you thats a pretty sweet gearbox for racing along.

• 1 month later...
Another review from USA.....

IS-F Review

Not a bad write up, and they sum up the negatives pretty well:

'Short-travel suspension rides like aftermarket job; zippy exterior designed by a little kid; electric power steering still doesn't communicate feeling.'