Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Recently noticed a slight drop of PS fluid level several times over the last few weeks and although I cannot see any leaks above or below I thought about the consequences if it is leaking over the alternator.

Managed to buy one on eBay for £20.00 and collected locally so next thing is a rebuild kit and recon this one and then swap them over on the car fitting a drip plate over the alternator at the same time.

Recently noticed a slight drop of PS fluid level several times over the last few weeks and although I cannot see any leaks above or below I thought about the consequences if it is leaking over the alternator.

Managed to buy one on ebay for £20.00 and collected locally so next thing is a rebuild kit and recon this one and then swap them over on the car fitting a drip plate over the alternator at the same time.

Noooooooooo!!! I don't believe it. I spoke to a guy on eBay telling me I could buy that pump for £20 and then he mailed me saying a local man had collected it. Better luck next time :( lol

I'll give you £30 ;) Nahh lol I have the same fault as you but believe the leak is from a hairline crack on the bottom of the pump off the Vacuum Valve.

Good Luck anyways :)

Hi,

Thanks ROYT I have printed that article off ( all 18 pages!).

Yes I confess it was me who collected the PS pump from Nottingham,a bargain I thought at £20.00.

BTW he does have a starter motor if anyone needs one at the same price.

The guy is building a kit car and is rear mounting the UCF-10 with a supercharger coupled to a 6 speed manual Porsche gearbox!!!!!!

OK here's the latest on the PS pump project.

Following the repair proceedure on Lexls I have now stripped the pump completely and degreased it all.

Due to lack of time I have not yet purchased the new "gasket kit",bearing and seal but hope to do so on Monday.

I will do some pictures on reassembly.

BTW did anyone see the Toyota Celsior on eBay it was a 1999 model with 23,000 miles on it and has now disappeared from the listings! Another one has appeared however a 1991 model which I am sure I have seen before somewhere.

Arrr it's Ian11! The times I must have seen that picture on the forum.

Anyway been back on eBay and the guy who sold me the PS pump also had a starter motor which he offered me for £20.00,but not needing one I declined.

But there again always useful to have a spare so I bought it for 99P as the only bidder :whistling:

Finally have a look at this LS400 on eBay described as "an easy repair" :unsure:

http://tinyurl.com/ypro7h

Steve,

Before you start rebuilding your PS pump there is an ERROR on the Lexls article.

I have rebuilt a few of these PS pumps now and can tell you that there is an additional 'O' ring not mentioned or shown on the Lexls program.

It will be included in the kit so may well have you puzzled, however it goes inside of one of the housings, and seals a shaft.

The original will be well flattened and blackened so will not be very easy to spot, but persevere because it must be changed, as the fluid has a hardening effect on these seals, making them very brittle, missing it and not changing it may undo all of your hard work.

Good luck,

Chris Vince

PS

I am still about, but driving a Nissan Navara now.

Boy, have these engines got BIG BIG problems they are very prone to throwing con rods through the block, I know of at least 50 that have self destructed in this way, in fact I bought mine very cheaply off eBay because of this very flaw.

I have worked out the cause and a remedy, basically the YD25DDTi engine uses aluminium/tin big end shells that have not been bonded to the steel backing, after approx 60K they are worn out and the lining starts to strip, the ends start knocking (though this is more of a light metalic tinkling noise easily confused with valve train wear, in fact some Nissan main dealers have even changed canshafts in a fruitless attempt to cure the noise), work hardening the con rod bolts till they give up and snap.

Nissans answer is to tighten up the auxilary belts as tight as piano strings, pretty pointless as all this does is to dampen the sounds!

I have sourced old fashioned Lead/Copper (now banned in the EU) big end shells from ACL in Australia, together with bolts that can take 2,000hp from the USA (the internet really is a wonderful tool), this will solve the problem, I have put all of this info on a sister site to this, the Nissan Navara OC, so hopefully saving many other owners the £6,500 cost of a replacement engine.

When I come back occasionally and read the problem LS owners have, although they may seem drama's to you, they are nothing compared to some of the c**p others manufacturers are producing and lumbering their owners with, but I can't take two spaniels for walkies in a LS!

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the info I still, due to work commitments, have not got the gasket kit yet but when I do will check as you suggest for the mystery seal.

Not sure yet as to whether or not change the bearing it has a tiny amount of play in it whilst on the shaft.

I may come back to you for more details if that's ok.

Thanks,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

It's very quiet on here at the moment.

I have at last managed to order the PS gasket set, the reservoir O ring and the main bearing for the pump rebuild and they will be at the dealers for Saturday ( again collected when I get the time!).

So a little progress this week.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links