Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hid Conversion Kit Enquiry

Ryan Fong

Just check the connections are secure....

If all is well, and the problem still exists, you may have one faulty ballast/ignitor unit, which should be replaced under warranty.

John

Cheers John,

But the problem only occurred once so far, and works perfect for the rest of the time.

Is there any possibility that the power (electricity) is not enough ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, the driver's side headlight sometimes doesn't light up, needs to turn off and on again to make both sides light up.

mine does it sometime when there is humidity in the air. The only way I found to solve it is what you do: switch off then on again.

Cheers yemqi,

So does that mean the humidity cause the bad contact between the plugs? If it is, that's also a quality problem of the kit, innit?

Is there any possibility that the power (electricity) is not enough ?

Hence the question of a poor connection....

Yes, quite likely that low voltage will cause this, and could be from poor Battery connections, or bad earths.. also the condition of your Battery will contribute to this...

Although the HID's are rated at 35 Watts, the startup current is higher.. possibly much higher..

Again, I would check the Battery terminals, and earth straps.. and as it's only happened the once, I wouldn't say the lights are faulty.

i have same problem with drivers side not lighting sometimes,it is not the kit or poor earth with mine ...but poor Battery which will be replaced at some point.

instructions with kit states if this problem occurs it is most likely to be the Battery which should bo 70 amp...after research on this site i found that o.e.m Battery is 45 amp.

hpoe that helps john

Thanks Einstein & John,

I agree that the problem only has been occurred once and it couldnt be a fault ballast.

I am still waiting the seller to send me a battery wiring harness which enables to power the kit direct from the car's battery. Is it helpful to solve this problem?

to be honest ryan..i have used the wiring harness & problem still exists,less frequently since i took harness back off

as einstein says i think there is not enought curreny on start up,which in my case after flicking light switch on/off a few times with engine running..drivers side then lights up

i was told by lexus at recent 50k service that Battery was not as good as it should be,so will defo upgrade to 70 amp Battery shortly & hopefully that will cure problem

john :)

Seems odd to me, I'm not sure about Battery powers, but I had my HID kit with the OEM Battery from new, and now with a Bosch asiasilver Battery, and I've not had any problems with either.

It does sound like there must be a problem with the HID kit rather than the car.........

My kit arrived today, but with one bad bulb :(

i installed everything else though out of eagerness, and i have one side with a HID bulb and one without.

The ballast locations i struggled slightly with, but found decent mount points, with no double sided tape needed, will show it to anyone turning up at the TDi Meet.

I also put in some 501w LED bulbs replacing the yellow sidelights, looks much better, i also have 3 spare sets with bright white light, and 4 amber sets ill take with me tmrw.

Seems odd to me, I'm not sure about battery powers, but I had my HID kit with the OEM battery from new, and now with a Bosch asiasilver battery, and I've not had any problems with either.

It does sound like there must be a problem with the HID kit rather than the car.........

i know m8,its annoying

like i said ive used wiring harness,checked its properly earthed & problem still exists on first putting on lights after starting car then fine after flicking switch a few times with equal light pattern & no flickering of light from drivers side

came to conclussion it must be Battery after what lexus said & fact h.i.d instructions state it may be Battery which should be 70 amph...apoligies if im waffling

how much did you pay for bosch asiasilver & what amp is it m8(hope you dont mind me asking).

cheers john

how much did you pay for bosch asiasilver & what amp is it m8(hope you dont mind me asking).

Just had a look under the bonnet, and the Battery is 60Ah.

Can't actually remember how much it cost, think it was £50-60, got it from Allparts (they're really helpful, great prices and have everything in stock). If you're thinking of changing the Battery, this is definitely the one to go for :)

Can't actually remember how much it cost, think it was £50-60, got it from Allparts (they're really helpful, great prices and have everything in stock). If you're thinking of changing the Battery, this is definitely the one to go for :)

tnx for that..will add new Battery to shopping list

john

• 2 weeks later...

very impressed with the HIDS-Direct kit - ordered friday arrived this morning.

Took me about 40 minutes to fit - mainly due to the passenger side being an arse to get the loom wire to have enough length to connect to the ballast. Very happy in that the connectors were wired up the right way as well so that saved me fart arsing about with the pins. The only headache I had was gently cutting the tape of the loom to get the extra inches i needed ! Ballasts are stuck on with very heavy duty double sided pads - they're not going anywhere.

Waiting till it gets dark now to go and see how good they look in real use !

Is it possible to have Halo side lights, HID mains and HID fogs? (main light cluster and lower bumper fogs)

I think you would be better off with HID Dipped, HID Fogs, Halo Main Beam, LED Sidelights.

The reason being with Main Beam gets used a lot as a flasher, but this will cause (so I am told)

undue wear on the bulbs, and wont be particularly effective as they take a second or two to fire

up, and by that time your have (pardon the expression) finished flashing.

Fogs & Dipped beam get switched on, then tend to stay on for much longer periods than

Main Beam.

Hope that makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I would really like to get a set of these in my Lex but I just want to get a couple things straight. I called HIDS4U today and they told me I would have to drill a hole in the headlight bulb cover?! I thought the bulbs fitted directly into the headlight. These are the ones im interested in (eBay Item number: 170142284048) what attracted me to them most is the slim ballast box for fitting into the passenger side, would appreciate if I get a bit of feedback as to whether they would be good or am I as well to go for the cheaper £40 ones from Hong Kong!