Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oem Hid's On Is300

Noel

Hi all,

i was about to order a HID Kit but read a few experts opinions regards aftermarket installation and was totally put off...

so then i had a look on eBay for secondhand OEM hid headlights and couldn't see any difference in the lens/reflector design between normal halogen low beam reflectors and "ebay" IS300 OEM hid headlights... now i realise the pictures on eBay can often be incorrect (one guy was showing the left & right, but it was only a picture of the left mirrored, toyota was spelt backwards...)

anyway if anyone has a picture of a REAL oem hid headlight it would help clear up if there is a real reflector difference and if not then the problem the "experts" mentioned about retrofitting wouldn't be a issue in this case...

thanks

Noel

I remember Scarface/Surgical Virus having tons of detailed pics of his IS300, I'm sure he must have a closeup of a headlight somewhere, might be worth sending him a PM......

I've actually looked into this in the past though, and the IS300 does not have a projector housing (like newer cars do). I'm not sure if it's identical, but the reflector looks very similar to the one on the IS200

I was for a while trying to find out whether if I found an set of IS300 headlamps would I be able to swap the reflector over with the ones in the 200 but couldn't be bothered with it in the end.

To be fair, HIDs in the standard reflectors is such a vast improvement over the standard headlamps that I've not been too concerned if they're not as good as they "possibly" could be with the correct reflector.

Hope that helps a bit :)

I've actually looked into this in the past though, and the IS300 does not have a projector housing (like newer cars do). I'm not sure if it's identical, but the reflector looks very similar to the one on the IS200

You're on my train of thought ;) as the IS300's i looked at on Auto-trader didn't seem to have any lens difference from afar, only real difference seems to be the orange bit... so in conclusion maybe the IS200 lens is pretty close to whats needed to make HID lights work as intended.... :whistling:

I think a lot of the "experts" opinions that i was reading were in relation to diffusers but some points were worth noting... ie, incorrect bulb placement generating a flood of light on the ground too close to the car causing your own pupil's to close meant you can't focus properly on objects down the road... kinda makes sense

ok i'll probably just go and buy a kit....and see :winky:

Just to add the 'you can't tell from the outside' bits - my GS430 has OEM HIDs fitted, and indeed you cannot tell the difference from the outside - till you switch them on, anyway.

When I was considering it, I was under the impression that they would have that funny glass sphere thing (well, it looks like half a sphere) like some cars do, but it seems not, and was wondering why all the 430s I looked at appeared to have standard headlights fitted. Interestingly, my bike has lights like that, but they are only ordinary halogen bulbs, even though they look like HIDs do.