Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yes! I've just bought a brand new Lexus, No! i didn't read the forums first (I won't do that again). Yes mine is the Diesel and Yes mine is pants on MPG i'm doing about 31.6mpg

I've noticed that in the mornings on first start up mine will rev at 1200rpm and it will keep this up for about half an hour of the journey. This, i believe, is the reason for the high or its contributing to the high mpg as while i'm sat in the morning rush hour traffic, my car is reving at 1200rpm all the way to work. Once the engine is warm it stops doing it, and for the drivers who are over 35 (but under 40 :winky: ) its like the car has a choke???

Its been into Lexus who say that its normal? and that all their cars do it? and that they can't find a fault with the car or can explain to me why its so rubbish on mpg. They put the latest ecu programming in it but why it needs that i don't know cause its a 57 plate car? but anyway its still doing it and the mpg is still :tsktsk:

So i'm looking for more amunition from you guys/girls so i can go back to my local dealer and say 'look cheese breath its not mormal' as i have spoken to everyone else and their cars don't do it.

Think i'm kinda hoping its just mine but just in case its not i would be gratefull for your input.

Thanks

Yes! I've just bought a brand new Lexus, No! i didn't read the forums first (I won't do that again). Yes mine is the Diesel and Yes mine is pants on MPG i'm doing about 31.6mpg

I've noticed that in the mornings on first start up mine will rev at 1200rpm and it will keep this up for about half an hour of the journey. This, i believe, is the reason for the high or its contributing to the high mpg as while i'm sat in the morning rush hour traffic, my car is reving at 1200rpm all the way to work. Once the engine is warm it stops doing it, and for the drivers who are over 35 (but under 40 :winky: ) its like the car has a choke???

Its been into Lexus who say that its normal? and that all their cars do it? and that they can't find a fault with the car or can explain to me why its so rubbish on mpg. They put the latest ecu programming in it but why it needs that i don't know cause its a 57 plate car? but anyway its still doing it and the mpg is still :tsktsk:

So i'm looking for more amunition from you guys/girls so i can go back to my local dealer and say 'look cheese breath its not mormal' as i have spoken to everyone else and their cars don't do it.

Think i'm kinda hoping its just mine but just in case its not i would be gratefull for your input.

Thanks

If you're stood in traffic idling at 1200 revs switch OFF the fan for internal air circulation the revs drop by a substantial amount. Reset to ON as soon as you get going again...not ideal but it does work!

Basically Lexus is right saying that it's normal. I'm sure it has some effect on the mileage, but most likely it's not significant. Idling in general takes so little fuel that even if it took twice as much with 1200 RPM, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Thanks

Welcome galuk1,

Loads of info on the forum already, (yes it is a pity you didn't read it beforehand) try and get yourself a bit of spare time, like half a day, and trawl through all the relevent threads going way back. When youv'e done that you should have more ammunition at your disposal than George Bush.

I can tell you only from my experience that idling certainly does put up the usage on the computer...mine is incremented for klm in UK you're probably in miles therefore you would not notice it as much...1 klm being 5/8 of a mile would take almost twice as long to change the digit. What really does the big damage is the revs to get going again ...then stopping...repeat...repeat...this GULPS fuel BIG TIME.

Thanks

Mine is the same. Idles at 1200rpm until fully warmed up and yes if you turn the fan off it reduces back down to 800rpm not ideal and on these cold mornings you a more likely to need you fan on to keep the screen clear. Mine is a 57 plate too. It has been back to the supplying dealer for a few issues one being the high revs. They are telling me it is normal too. I have also phoned 2 other lexus dealers who say the same, its normal! They also did a bit of tinkering with the ECU. They also changed the rear view mirror which is now vibration free.

I must admit I am getting around 40 mpg but taking it easy to attain that. i would really like to open it up but being a private motorist and doing around 400 miles a week it would get expensive!

lexus sais that these high rpms are because of emissions... low idling cold engine doesn't burn everything as it should burn, so they increased the idle rpms...thats their words.