Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto Express Test Oct 2007 Is250 V Merc C200k

If anyone gets a minute have a look at it.

There is one comment in the piece," both of these saloons make better sense as diesels".

It's a turbocharged 1800cc against a 2.5 V6, got my thoughts, be interested in your's.

Correction: It's supercharged 4 cylinder 1800cc

The Lexus engine will be smoother, and the test states it's more refined, but from a performance perspective there ain't that much in it...Having driven the C Class 220CDi, I can tell you it's no real contest in my book.

The Merc engine is better...the technophobes can argue whether it's technologically more advanced or not, cleaner or not...but it does drive better...and is a marked improvement over the old C220CDi 150bhp engine which was tractor like....PS - should add that the C Class Diesel was an Auto....so not exactly apples and apples, but good enough test nonetheless...but it was matched really well to the box...

PS - I think they compared the 2 due to price, or to wallop the lexus....

The Lexus engine will be smoother, and the test states it's more refined, but from a performance perspective there ain't that much in it...Having driven the C Class 220CDi, I can tell you it's no real contest in my book.

The Merc engine is better...the technophobes can argue whether it's technologically more advanced or not, cleaner or not...but it does drive better...and is a marked improvement over the old C220CDi 150bhp engine which was tractor like....PS - should add that the C Class Diesel was an Auto....so not exactly apples and apples, but good enough test nonetheless...but it was matched really well to the box...

PS - I think they compared the 2 due to price, or to wallop the lexus....

Jamboo, you've got me confused, have you had a bad week? You say having driven the C220 CDi it's no real contest in your book, in favour of which one?

In the Auto Express test, perhaps farce would be a better word, the comparison is between an IS250 SE-L Auto and a Merc C200K Auto, a 2.5 litre V6 and a 1800cc supercharged 4 cylinder, engines with vastly different characteristics. I doubt the tester has driven the cars, he says "both of these saloons make most sense as diesels", the Merc maybe, but the Lexus? He goes on to say both are well equipped and the Merc is considerably cheaper, who's payroll is he on? The Merc in question does not have leather, heated seats, parking sensors, memory seats, a 6 cd changer, floor mats, HID, I-AFS etc, etc.. It has a billious coloured wood substitute compared to walnut in the Lexus.

This so called journalist is doing his readers no favours with blatant bias, Audi, Merc and BMW will be happy though, that's probably what's important to him. Like you say,"wallop the Lexus".

the comparison is between an IS250 SE-L Auto and a Merc C200K Auto, a 2.5 litre V6 and a 1800cc supercharged 4 cylinder, engines with vastly different characteristics.

my friend (currently drives 2007 740iL) had CLK 200k for a test drive and said, that this a great engine and its characteristics are very close to V6 - low rpm torque is massive thanks supercharger and in high revs the engine sounds like a V6. He was very surprised how good this "base" engine is and the consumption was very low.

He said there is nothing to change this engine for an 220cdi - so I agree with you that journo was "strange"

Jamboo, C200k is not the diesel engine, put petrol supercharged.

I know that! The point I'm making is that even a S/C Merc 1.8 engine is almost as quick now adays as a 2.5v6 from Lexus - that's what the Auto Express test states.

I tested the C220CDi and it was better overall than the IS220d, but it was an Auto, not a manual. t was bare inside though...plastic imitation leather!

I know that! The point I'm making is that even a S/C Merc 1.8 engine is almost as quick now adays as a 2.5v6 from Lexus - that's what the Auto Express test states.

I tested the C220CDi and it was better overall than the IS220d, but it was an Auto, not a manual. t was bare inside though...plastic imitation leather!

Have a bit of patience with me on this one Jamboo, I'm hoping to learn something.

If, as you say, the C200k 4 cylinder is so good what's the point of a C230, V6, 2.5 litre. In basic form it costs £2265 more. Surely the V6 version will be quieter, smoother and more sophisticated all round, it's half as big again with 2 extra cylinders. Lots of cars can match the performance figures of an IS 250 and the C230 but isn't it the way in which they achieve it that's the criteria.

that surprises me!

I drive now dad's e-klass 400cdi so I am comparing all the time and...merc is ofcourse more comfortable (airmatic rules...) but in some things the IS is better. (btw merc costs 2x IS...)

If, as you say, the C200k 4 cylinder is so good what's the point of a C230, V6, 2.5 litre. In basic form it costs £2265 more. Surely the V6 version will be quieter, smoother and more sophisticated all round, it's half as big again with 2 extra cylinders. Lots of cars can match the performance figures of an IS 250 and the C230 but isn't it the way in which they achieve it that's the criteria.

personally, I have never driven c230 nor c200k but when looking on the tech specs, there is no reason buying C230. Maybe the test drive would change things but as I wrote my friend's test drive...the 200k engine looks superb.

Have a bit of patience with me on this one Jamboo, I'm hoping to learn something.

Not tried V6 Petrol Merc C Class, so can't comment. I'm sure the Autoexpress one states that the Lexus 250 is very refined, it doesn't mention how rough the Merc 4 cylinder is.

I doubt the Merc 6 cylinders will be any better from an NVH perspective than any 6 cylinder Lexus engine.

personally, I have never driven c230 nor c200k but when looking on the tech specs, there is no reason buying C230. Maybe the test drive would change things but as I wrote my friend's test drive...the 200k engine looks superb.

I would certainly consider a 230. Call me old fashioned, but I think there's something to be said for having a larger engine running at a lower level of stress, over a smaller engine with forced induction. I'd expect it to last longer, and there is definitely less to go wrong.

you're right man, but on the other side, how long you want to keep the car?

Both engines will run with no problems at least 200.000kms... My experience is, that current cars have several problems with increasing mileage, but none has problems with engine. Reliability today is about the electrics and electronics.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links