Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clutch On Its Way Out?

jay m

Alright folks, need to clarify something before i go wild with the old plastic.

I can be driving along, and for example in 3rd doing about 40mph. If i hold it there then plant the foot the revs climb quick but doesn't quite feel rite. Pretty sure the clutch is slipping.

My next question is should i try and get my hands on a slightly better clutch or just go for the standard lexus one? Having the s/c etc it would be putting a lot more stress on it than it would be designed to cope with, which could be why it has started to go. Not to mention the rolling road a week ago wouldn't have helped matters any :whistling:

Are there any makes/brands to avoid, my only bad experience with after-market clutches are black diamod ones, i had a friend who went through 3 in 8 months, was only a 106 gti too lol.

Any advice much appreciated, also would it be worth while changing the fly wheel while im at it, i was recomended to get a lightened one like the jun one but is it actually worth the extra cash for the gains? Woud make sense to get it done while it was all apart i guess.

cheers

jay

Alright folks, need to clarify something before i go wild with the old plastic.

I can be driving along, and for example in 3rd doing about 40mph. If i hold it there then plant the foot the revs climb quick but doesn't quite feel rite. Pretty sure the clutch is slipping.

My next question is should i try and get my hands on a slightly better clutch or just go for the standard lexus one? Having the s/c etc it would be putting a lot more stress on it than it would be designed to cope with, which could be why it has started to go. Not to mention the rolling road a week ago wouldn't have helped matters any :whistling:

Are there any makes/brands to avoid, my only bad experience with after-market clutches are black diamod ones, i had a friend who went through 3 in 8 months, was only a 106 gti too lol.

Any advice much appreciated, also would it be worth while changing the fly wheel while im at it, i was recomended to get a lightened one like the jun one but is it actually worth the extra cash for the gains? Woud make sense to get it done while it was all apart i guess.

cheers

jay

My clutch has got 100,000 miles on it and about 1000-2000 with the turbo and its doing fine (not sure how). Yemgi is still on standard clutch as well and putting out a fair amount of bhp.

Unless your going to go for more power (over 200 @ rear wheels) i dont think its worth it. Mine and yemgis are putting about 190 @ wheels and there doing fine and they've both got a shed load miles on them.

I think the trick is to have the clutch full depressed before putting on the power sam @ TDi said its pretty hard to shred a clutch when it fully engaged its just the slipping (getting revs and engine at same speed) that kills it, i always bleep my throttle on down changes to help the gear change.

Flywheel would be a nice idea i really want to get one, if changing that do it all at once to save on labour. Also not sure on changing of flywheels with standard and different clutches i suppose not many people know, as not to many fly wheels been changed to lightened ones as far as i know.

Hope this helps :D

Cheers for the responce mate, about having the clutch fully depressed before i put on the power, this is what i have been doin. When i was out earlier i changed into 3rd slowed down a bit went about 50 yards then went for it, once the revs reach about 3500 it beegins to slip and power delivery isn't as smooth as it used to be.

I realise its unlikely that i have shredded it but when i first installed the s/c i susspected there was somting up. Think ive done about 15k with the charger on now. It was something i was planning on doin sometime in the future when i had figured out how i was goin to get more power out, so i guess i would be changing it anyway.

As for the flywheel i think if i was goin to get the cutch done it would be daft not to make the most of the situation and get it done at the same time lol.

You would be better off in 4th or 5th to tell if the clutch is slipping. Do the same as you were before and plant it, if the revs rise up and your speed doesn't, then the clutch is definetely on the way out. You want to offer the most resistance to the rev increase through the transmission, 5th will do this more than 3rd will.

Mine was doing the exact same as this, however it was slipping so much that it was obvious the clutch was gone. Started slipping in every gear and there was so much power loss that it had to be changed asap.

Me and a mate done the job ourselves and to say it was a :tsktsk: is an understatement. Took quite a bit of the day to do and wasn't helped by the rain.

I fitted an Exedy clutch kit, although my car is relatively standard i fitted one anyway.

A clutch kit form the dealer is around the £200 mark, the Exedy version was £240!!! Made sense to me to pay the little extra and get the Exedy one. Comes with everything needed to fit clutch plate, cover and release bearing.

I have a few PDF files on how to change the clutch if you are going to do the job yourself.

Jason :P

That would be great duded, just to give me an idea on how big a job it is. Ive done everything else on the car so i would be good to help keep the garage bills away.

i found this on e-bay, exedy clutch

Is that the same thing as you fitted jason? There is always the organic one from pro-lex but it is a good bit more expensive. As for the flywheel has anyone else bought the JUN one?

That would be great duded, just to give me an idea on how big a job it is. Ive done everything else on the car so i would be good to help keep the garage bills away.

i found this on e-bay, exedy clutch

Is that the same thing as you fitted jason? There is always the organic one from pro-lex but it is a good bit more expensive. As for the flywheel has anyone else bought the JUN one?

Thats the same clutch and guy i bought mine from Jay.

I was going to get the JUN lightweight flywheel as well but there is no point on my standard is200. Have you tried Greenline http://www.greenline.jp the JUN flywheel is very cheap but not sure about postage???

if you pm me your email address i will get the pdf's to you!

Once the clutch starts to slip...

its only a matter of time before it slips and slips and the car becomes indrivable.

If you have a SC or a turbo on the car, it will casue alot of extra pressure on the clutch.

"plant'inG" the foot down.. doesnt do the clutch any favours, especially when its stock.

Too be honest if you have the standard clutch.. gently apply the gas and alittle more.. then plant your foot.

flywheel = quicker throttle response = maybe some HP ;)

So for the record how do i test this for myself, i am such a noob when it comes to these things my car has done 101k miles so i expect its another thing I'll prob have to sort before I get rid of the car...

So for the record how do i test this for myself, i am such a noob when it comes to these things my car has done 101k miles so i expect its another thing I'll prob have to sort before I get rid of the car...

I belive the clutch test is

done in 2nd gear...

get biting point. without using gas, let the clutch go..

(car should stall straight away).

If it decides to leap forward and struggle.. Bad clutch.

• 1 year later...
Mine was doing the exact same as this, however it was slipping so much that it was obvious the clutch was gone. Started slipping in every gear and there was so much power loss that it had to be changed asap.

Me and a mate done the job ourselves and to say it was a :tsktsk: is an understatement. Took quite a bit of the day to do and wasn't helped by the rain.

I fitted an Exedy clutch kit, although my car is relatively standard i fitted one anyway.

A clutch kit form the dealer is around the £200 mark, the Exedy version was £240!!! Made sense to me to pay the little extra and get the Exedy one. Comes with everything needed to fit clutch plate, cover and release bearing.

I have a few PDF files on how to change the clutch if you are going to do the job yourself.

hi jason i have a is 200 which iam about to do the clutch on some hints would be appreciated, if you you dont mind.

my email address is : frazandsaima@yahoo.co.uk cheers

Think the clutch on mine is going. Been like it for the last 12 months or so, but given the milage I now do it seems unlikely it will get changed anytime soon.

Jay, whats the bite point like on the clutch? Is it quite high or is their very little travel on releasing the clutch before it bites?

i got to the point i could tap the clutch to change gear LOL

and when they put the new one in first thing i did was stall :( LOL was not used to having a biting clutch, was used to just dumping it and waitin 3min for the car to move hahaha

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links