Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Please On Painting Callipers

Just been out there painting the fronts, Hammerite smooth red. Colour etc fine, but I can't see what to do about where the clips are and the back of the pads show through ( clips are goldie colour, andd back of pads blue ).

There is these bits showing top and bottom, I didn't like to paint them in case they are meant to move etc. ) ... so it looks a bit naff at the moment ..... what have you guys done / what do you recommend please?

You can see what I mean on this picture posted elsewhere...

Front_Caliper.jpg

mine looks slightly different to this, but is similar.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smart! You didn't waste any time did you? Your car's 4 days old isn't it?

Your car looks great with the 18" wheels and the red calipers peeking through should look fantastic. You've tempted me to have a go :)

Nige

Cheers guys, yes car delivered Thursday. Doing the backs tomorrow and stickers front and rear Wednesday ( weather permitting ). I'm also going to spray a coat of high temperature clear coat over the stickers to keep them on and sealed.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow / Wednesday Steve.

Just waiting for the silicone wipers to arrive and the group buy on the PIAA bulbs to be finalised .... then there will be a bit more for me to do.

Cheers Steve, another job for tomorrow then  :D

Hey Steve!

I notice from your details you're based in the UK - so am I!!! :yahoo:

Fancy doing my calipers - great job you did on yours!!!! :lol::whistling::phone: :P :outforcount: :hehe:

Just kidding! Great job :)

Nige - no primer, straight on with 4 coats of hammerite smooth. Needed 3 brushes though, one inch, half inch and one the size of a kids paint brush for the fiddly bits .....

Kavey as I am "between contracts" at the moment I have plenty of time on my hands to do these little mods. Gotta get them done before I find some work :)

Just normal. It might stop them corroding too :) :)

Hmmm, think you're probably right there. Maybe best to paint the calipers asap when the car is new, before the infamous "Lexus Caliper Rot" sets in! :(

As promised a picture of the rear one .....

calliper_rear.jpg

On the corrosion front I have only painted the front half of the calliper ... so will be interesting to see over time if there is any corrosion ... and where.

Photos with stickers hopefully to follow tomorrow, weather permitting - it forecast sunshine today but rained whilst I was painting, doh !!

Didn't remove callipers at all. took wheels off ..... wipe down and started painting .... You will see from my previous post I have only painted the front , part of the reason is you can't get the back very well without removal of the callipers. But you can only see the front with the wheel on .... so job is fairly easy.

i'd really like to do this but am a bit scared about doing this myself :blink: Would my lexus dealer do it for me? Also, where do you get those silver lexus decals that i saw someone had? Are they expensive and do they come off easily?

I'm sure if you ask your local dealer, they'd probably oblige... for a fee ;) Looks like quite a straightforward job tho, why not give it a try? :)

You can find the stickers for the calipers here, and you can look at the various colours for smooth Hammerite on their website.

Dunk ..... watch this space for red and stickers .... clear cote is drying now on the rears. Stickers go on very well if you follow the instructions from LOC. Note I used the "household electrical tool" whilst removing the front paper as well, made it easier.

It's looking good.

Nice one, what colour stickers did you use? I am wondering if the red stickers are like black text with red background etc

I have seen what I think is the silver on silver calipers (silver background black text) in the LOC club Stickers link at the top and it looks nice, I can only imagine red on red with black text would look even nicer :D