Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ipod Control Solution For Oem Stereo Is200/300 Finally Found

I have a big problem with the email of INDASHPC ( inquiry@indashpc.org & info@gromaudio.com ). I always get an "mail failure delivery" when I send them an email. Am I the only one ?

I received after one week the GROM AUDIO kit (IPOD) for my Lexus IS200 12/1999 (m.y. 2000) with gps satnav, external amplifier and 8 speakers.

But the GROM AUDIO kit doesn't work. So I contact INDASHPC :

I received the GROM AUDIO kit on the 02 january 2008. I installed it immadiatly. Connectors are the good one. They fit perfectly on

my radio. Unfortunately, the radio did not reconize the kit and then the ipod (classic 5th gen 30Gb). I looked in the installation guide the chapter "3.6 troubleshooting". So, I check all connectors. They were well connected. I disconnected them and connected them new. But my radio did not still reconize the GROM AUDIO kit. Can you help me to resolve this (big) problem ASAP ? Sincerely, Marc

I received an answer very quickly (I contact the technical support by the website of INDASHPC) :

Hi Marc,

I think we have compatibility issues with 13902 units,

We're looking for such unit for tests,

I will let you know next week when we have a solution,

Thank you,

Dmitry/

i too have the same problem mate, and had the same response from Dmitry @ GromAudio, i guess its a case of waiting and seeing.

the only thing i can think that i may try is try a different ipod, i too have the 30GB ipod video. think im going to try at the weekend with my sister new nano and see if it makes a difference

Off the top of my head i think that mine is the 13902 headunit and ive also got the ipod video......it must be a faulty unit

I don't think that your headunit is the 13902 one. I think that the "13902" is the headunit with satnav and external amplifier.

A long time ago, but since the thread has reappeared checked the other day for another member and yes mine is the 13902

Sorry to resurrect an old threat but I like this product very much would like to buy it.

I have read the thread from the beginning but I still a couple of questions:

1. Where do I find the model number of my radio ( I have the bottom CD loader, car is a V Reg)On the front of the unit above the display, see post above, mine is the bottom loading 13902 player and it works fine

2. I also have Sat-Nav which I predict will make things a bit difficoult. Will this work still after installing grom From what i remember sonnet had a sat nav and it worked ok (check the begining of this thread)

3. I am planning to buy a 4th Gen iPod which I am sure it will work but does it work with an iPhone (I can get this free as my contract is up for renewal) I think it would although not 100% sure, drop grom an email, they are very helpful!

Thanks in advance

Nik

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking to buy one for my 1999 IS 200 with 13902 headuint. My CDs were stuck with ERR3 on the display, and now I have taken the changer apart and removed the CDs.

Has anyone got the GROM adapter to work after removing the CDs on a 13902 headunit?

Hi, Ive just posted the below on the installation guide. May be useful in this sticky as I have installed the TOYI cable which may be the resolution to the Iphone 3G charging problem. I know the thread has only mentioned the TOY cable but I saw the TOYI one and chanced my luck. It works fine and has a more recent compatibility list for the new ipods.

"Hi all, Fitted the Grom unit in under 40mins and does as it says on the tin. Hardest part of the install was disconnecting the TRC plug which was fiddly. (the heated seats plugs came out easily).

Just be aware on an LE there is a cover just in front of the dash tray that hides two screws that secure the tray and fans to the dash. Remove these screws and pull the tray assembly free. No need to remove tray etc.

FYI, I purchased the TOYI version and it works a treat. I have a Ipod touch. I think this cable is also compatible with Iphone etc.

Piece of cake I say.

Thanks to all posters on this subject.

Oh, decided to give it a wash aswell as had time spare as the Grom fit didnt take long...just finished buffing the finish and it started raining :crybaby: "

Looking to buy one for my 1999 IS 200 with 13902 headuint. My CDs were stuck with ERR3 on the display, and now I have taken the changer apart and removed the CDs.

Has anyone got the GROM adapter to work after removing the CDs on a 13902 headunit?

I ordered an adapter from Carputer Shop on eBay for my 13902 headunit, and it works great! It says TOY1 on my cable. Maybe there is an older GROM verision that has problems with the 13902 headunit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've just ordered one of these GROM units- just waiting for it to arrive now, cant wait. My head unit is the old type (bottom loading) and was changed out by the dealer just before I bought the car 3 weeks ago. The cd-changer works fine and hasn't given me any trouble just yet. The radio doesnt seem to have any bit of reception at all... well I parked the car next to the transmitting beacon of a local station and it was just barely understandable. I have the original aerial, but could it not be hooked up to the new stereo? I'm going to take the unit out when the GROM bit comes, is there something I should be looking for??

Thanks a mil

• 6 months later...

I purchased one of these Grom Audio units and it was absolutely awful. Customer support was totally lacking and after promise after promise it would work, it never did. My IS200 never recognised anything was attached and all I got was a very expensive iPod car charger out of it. They gave me two boxes which both did nothing, and they are sitting in my bedroom gathering dust - I will probably eBay them or sell them with my IS200 in case someone else wants to try banging their head against a wall to try and get it working. Promises of refunds, product fixes/updates, email after email - they blamed my Satnav (which I told them about), my CD headunit, my car internal wiring; nothing was achieved apart from sinking a lot of time I'd rather have back.

At the other end of the scale, a Harman/Kardon Drive and Play worked perfectly first time (over direct-FM line-in).

I'm pretty sure I do, yes. But before you say anything I did tell them this numerous time before and after I paid money for the item and they never once said it was incompatible. I told them my car was an IS200 SE Navigator they said it was guaranteed to work, I was told it was the wrong chip and I needed an updated unit, never once did they admit it was just not compatible - they did offer a refund but it was going to cost me about half the price of the unit to return it and I didn't trust they would say they received it back so I'd lose even more money. I can't remember if I filed with Mastercard against them in the end or not.

Reading this thread it appears there was some compatibility issue but then, they shouldn't launch something and claim it's compatible or sell things under false pretences.

I'm pretty sure I do, yes. But before you say anything I did tell them this numerous time before and after I paid money for the item and they never once said it was incompatible. I told them my car was an IS200 SE Navigator they said it was guaranteed to work, I was told it was the wrong chip and I needed an updated unit, never once did they admit it was just not compatible - they did offer a refund but it was going to cost me about half the price of the unit to return it and I didn't trust they would say they received it back so I'd lose even more money. I can't remember if I filed with Mastercard against them in the end or not.

Reading this thread it appears there was some compatibility issue but then, they shouldn't launch something and claim it's compatible or sell things under false pretences.

The weird thing about the 13902 headunit is that on some people's cars it worked and on others it didn't. It was always a total gamble and no one could work out why! Either way you'd be able to sell those units easy on here, I'm sure I've already recently heard of two people wanting them so you'll be able to pass them on easy :)

Ah, that's not so bad then! I will gather up all the pieces for it, if anyone wants to buy mine please PM me - I have two control units (one apparently has an updated chip - that I couldn't see...) and a full set of the other bits, like the harnesses. Whoever took them off me could have the whole lot including both units (in case that wasn't clear, there aren't two full sets on offer). Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Dear Sonnet,

My car is an IS200 reg51. Do you think these Ipod thing will work for my car please?

Please advice. My car DC player is dead for 3 yrs now and haven't managed to replace it.

This is my email address please contact me and feel free to forwards me the inf.

phidung007@yahoo.com

Many thanks

• 8 months later...

Well, it's good to be back on here after initially joining 10 years ago :-)

I have a GROM adaptor for sale as my beloved IS200 has finally been sold on....

It has the TOY1 harness and aux inputs - will work with a wide range of players/iPods etc, but just hasn't got control or charge of one. PM me if you're interested in it, I'd rather it go to a good home....