Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lpg Conversion.

ps If any one's interested in the spare wheel bracket for the boot let me no and I will post some pici's on here (my rx is with spare origanaly underneath).

Hi Steve,

I'm thinking of getting a RX300 and converting to LPG, can you post your pics of your wheel bracket in the boot?

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Does having the LPG system fitted put the RX in a lower emissions band ?

Alan

You get a whole £10 discount for alternative fuels - I have read LPG is supposed to reduce the 'carbons' by 20% so you would think there would be a better discount.....

My mates currently getting his X5 converted to LPG at somewhere in heanor so I'm going to see if they are anygood then possibly have it done to mine.

Does having the LPG system fitted put the RX in a lower emissions band ?

Alan

You get a whole £10 discount for alternative fuels - I have read LPG is supposed to reduce the 'carbons' by 20% so you would think there would be a better discount.....

My mates currently getting his X5 converted to LPG at somewhere in heanor so I'm going to see if they are anygood then possibly have it done to mine.

bump

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I used to work for an approved LPGA installer a couple of years ago when "between jobs"

Just converted my own LS430 to LPG see this thread

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=49175

I would not consider any other system available at the moment other than the PRINS VSI it is beautifully made, very easy to set up, stays set up and in tune and comes with a 24mth warrantee. The OMVL is the next best but they don't stay in tune and the quality of the parts is much cheaper.

The 300 engine will suffer from valve seat recession if you do not fit a Flash Lube kit. You can also get insurance against valve recession to ease your mind.

I have not put this on to advertise conversions and I will not do one for someone else but if you have any questions I will answer if I can.

Mine has just done over 1000miles since conversion and is running well

There are no kits currently available that will make your fuel computer work and show LPG MPG, the computers work by measuring fuel used via petrol injector opening times, these are in milliseconds. It then does a simple calculation against distance travelled. When on LPG it is still measuring opening times on petrol, the ecu still thinks the car is on petrol so the display shows petrol MPG. The signal to the injectors leaves the ecu after “speaking” to the fuel computer, it is then “robbed” by the LPG emulators and transferred to the LPG injectors via the LPG ECU, after upping the opening time by about 20%. So as you can see it cannot give you LPG MPG (that is a very basic description)

LPG MPG is about 20% less than petrol MPG due to its lower calorific value, I get 23mpg on petrol and 19mpg on LPG.

Go for the conversion you will not be sorry

Pete

Hmm, some very useful snippets there. I am still "on the cusp" of having a conversion......locally here in Essex it is very hard to get discounts from installers.......most are hovering around £2000-2200......using anything from Prins/BRC/Egas/Micromise

The best deal so far I have found uses BRC.....I understood this manufacturer to be pretty much on a par with Prins and very well respected......what say you Pete?

Its good to have some "inside" knowledge that can trusted.

Best regards David

Hmm, some very useful snippets there. I am still "on the cusp" of having a conversion......locally here in Essex it is very hard to get discounts from installers.......most are hovering around £2000-2200......using anything from Prins/BRC/Egas/Micromise

The best deal so far I have found uses BRC.....I understood this manufacturer to be pretty much on a par with Prins and very well respected......what say you Pete?

Its good to have some "inside" knowledge that can trusted.

Best regards David

David

I really don't like to be specific about other systems, all I will say is that I would not fit anything other than Prins to a top end car such as Lexus, the quality of the kit and the peace of mind is worth the extra, when I worked for the installer we had about three "repairs" a week comming in and maybe two services, I worked for about 18mths and only ever had to service Prins, all the repairs were on other makes.

Pete

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I thought I would share my experience of the LPG system, I have a II 2003 RX300 which I converted to LPG 2 years ago, and have covered some 30,000 miles since. I installed what is deemed the top of the range PRINS VSI system and in my opinion I would not fit anything else, the system is universally accepted to be the best of the best and I do not think anything else is good enough for a top of the range car.

I have had no problems at all, Lexus will not cover on warranty and issue that is due to the LPG conversion so basically engine problems that they have to prove has been caused by the LPG system. I did get this in writing from Lexus as I too was jumpy to start with.

Certain Lexus dealers get a bit jumpy come service time, but that is the exception and normally down to a level of ignorance.

The tank replaces the spare wheel so does not alter the interior of the car at all. I have had the system fitted and the engine cover is still in place, there is a sligh modification for the gas injectors but nothing else, the engine bay is still nice and tidy.

I had the filler cap fitted in the plastic trim by the rear wheels, as it is exactly the same colour and is therefore is not at all noticable.

As always a personal decision, but no regrets from me, exspecially when filling up at 55p a litre.

On the tax question, the chancellor has declared that any change in fuel duty for LPG will have a 3 year warning, therefore you have at lest 3 years of worry free LPG motoring which will more than cover the cost for most users.

For me it is a no brainer, and when I buy a car I always have one eye on the coversion capabillity as I hate diesel cars "Sorry just my personal opinion"

Any questions let me know and I will help if I can.

Regards,

Greg.

Hi everyone,some very useful info on this thread.Iam thinking of converting my 04 RX300 to LPG.

Would recommend that you get this done somewhere local for any support required afterwards.

My local approved garage is recommending a system that injects petrol into the tank for lubrication.

Therefore no need for flash lube.But would probably add this for extra protection.

The system is called Maclaren xcelerate,and has been on the market for few months.

All the components on this system are prins ie injectors etc.

Any chance someone can pm me with some info on this system and advice.

thanks

Hi,

I thought I would share my experience of the LPG system, I have a II 2003 RX300 which I converted to LPG 2 years ago, and have covered some 30,000 miles since. I installed what is deemed the top of the range PRINS VSI system and in my opinion I would not fit anything else, the system is universally accepted to be the best of the best and I do not think anything else is good enough for a top of the range car.

Regards,

Greg.

Hi Greg, thanks for taking the time to share you experiance with LPG. Hope is still all well. I'm seriously considering converting my 04 rx300. Where did you get your conversion done?

Rgds

K

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly I'd like to say hi to all members, as I'm new in here.

Having just bought an RX300 SE MK1 2003, I reckon I'll be in and out of here quite a bit, gleaning all types of info I can, and hopefully adding a few bits and bobs of knowledge if I'm able to also!

Bought the car Friday, absolutely smashing to drive, much better than my last car, a 2000 Omega 2.5td auto Elite estate, which somebody nicely wrote off for me 2 weeks ago.

After trolling through many reviews and forums concerning the RX300, being spoilt previously with the economics of the previous car being a diesel, I've come to the conclusion, that I'll be much better off converting to LPG.

I was warned tho by Lexus main dealer at Exeter, that if I went for the RX300 MK2 I wouldn't be able to convert to LPG, after numerous enquiries with LPG convertion garages, the feedback I got back was that it was totally o.k to convert mk2's, but it was a ball-ache converting because of the spare wheel being underneath the car, as opposed to the mk1 where the spare wheel is located inside, at the back where spare wheels are usually stored.

So next month I'm booked into OZON LPG INSTALLATIONS in Plymouth, who'll do the conversion for £1400 all in, very reputable too as they were featured on the local news, concerning the recent increase in LPG conversions.

The only grey area with the LPG convertion, is whether or not to go for the Flashlube or not? as some say go for it, and some say not to bother, I'd like to hear of any feedback on that before I go ahead and add it on.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi, i own a rx300 series 2, and interested in having it converted to lpg, what size tank have some of yourselves have had fitted to the underside of the wheel well and dimensions if you no???

thanks

[/quot hi am just fitting a conversion to my 05 mk2 model i have just managed to fit a 73ltr stako toroidal tank where underslung spare wheel was with 20mm clearance front to rear diff and 20mm clear to rear to the witter detachable towbar which i have fitted. hope this helps i dont think you will get a larger tank in. have finished all tank area pipe work and vent. ihave just started the front end kit fitting will post how i am getting on cheers dave :

Hi all,

I've had my RX300 for about 9 months now, 2000 "X" reg, 34000 miles when I bought it, 45,000 miles now. I'm thinking about going for a LPG conversion as the last time time that I filled it up it cost me £69 !

If you've had a LPG conversion, please advise of the pro's cons and what to look out for.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Fraser Smith

Edinburgh

Hi Fraser,

Had the wifes rx converted about a year ago at a cost of £2300.The car ran great with no difference in performance/then approx 3 months ago the engine

managment light came on.Bank 1 and 2 running to lean and after getting the gas system checked took the car to Lexus in Edinburgh to check the fault only

to be told it was the gas system at fault and relieved me of £160 in the procces.As i write this the engine is in pieces with the cause being a cracked exhaust

valve on number 6.Have to add that the car does 40 thou miles a year.do not know if running gas caused this or not but a mechanic friend says he has never

seen anything like it in 30 years of being a mechanic.When the gas conversion was done thought it was great and was told the engine runs hotter therfore

more efficient and cleaner.maybe if the car was run on super unleaded for a tank then switched onto gas and vice versa the story might be different.

Dont mean to be negative but until i find out the cause i would say be very wary of the conversion.Also was not impressed with lexus edinburgh who kept me

waiting for 3 hours just to tell me what else was wrong with the car but the fault that i wanted to find.

regards,

malky

• 2 weeks later...

.As i write this the engine is in pieces with the cause being a cracked exhaust

valve on number 6.

Just out of interest Malky, were you running the Flashlube system with your LPG conversion?

valve on number 6.

Just out of interest Malky, were you running the Flashlube system with your LPG conversion?

Exactly what I was wondering....having done a lot of research while contemplating having mine converted I was told by some it was a good idea but my choice to have flashlube!, some that it was not needed at all and a couple that it was ESSENTIAL on that particular engine! :crybaby:

Best regards David

• 1 year later...

valve on number 6.

Exactly what I was wondering....having done a lot of research while contemplating having mine converted I was told by some it was a good idea but my choice to have flashlube!, some that it was not needed at all and a couple that it was ESSENTIAL on that particular engine! :crybaby:

Best regards David

H all,

New to th forum and looking to convert my 2004 rx300 se-l to LPG :)

I Just looking into kits to diy - Prins / BRC seem to be regarded the best but hard to get DIY - has anyone here converted using AGIS / Bigas or OMVL would be very interested to hear you experiences and would love to see some pics.

I have converted my previous car using a bigas kit which was faultless for 4 years, just wondering how things had moved on....

Thanks,

• 2 months later...
Hi all,

I've had my RX300 for about 9 months now, 2000 "X" reg, 34000 miles when I bought it, 45,000 miles now. I'm thinking about going for a LPG conversion as the last time time that I filled it up it cost me £69 !

If you've had a LPG conversion, please advise of the pro's cons and what to look out for.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Fraser Smith

Edinburgh

Hi i have an RX2001 77000 miles which was converted for me last year on purchase of the vehicle, it has a flash lube system which the mechanic recommends after converting many different models not just Lexus, i have just had it serviced after 8000 miles & all he did was change the fuel filter & plug it into the diagnostic to make sure all was o.k. cost me £60.

The conversion system is a multi point OMVL Dream XXI N Sequential gas injection System. installed by :- LPG Autos Stretton Garage Brentwood Staffs ST19 9LN.

I could not run the RX without LPG as the petrol fuel consumption of 20mpg is obscene, but only paying 47p per ltr more or less doubles that to 40mpg verse the petrol cost, i also feel very green as i now pay less tax ( you must inform DVLA ) less emissions.

As the car starts on petrol you will use some over a 12 month period, i have put in £145, i dread to think how much i would have spent without the LPG.

I have been very happy with the car and tow a very large touring caravan with no effort.