Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all Diesel owners,

My Diesel is doing an average MPG of 31.6 Lexus as i'm sure you are aware claim their cars do 44.8 average MPG.

I am now in a dispute with Lexus and i am asking for my money back, It would really help my case if all you Diesel owners could post a reply to this topic telling me what your average MPG is, so i can tell them that its all Diesels that are doing it and not just mine cause they keep telling me that it will get better with age but they wont say what it will get better to.

Thanks

ps i will let you all know how it goes and who knows maybe you can get some sort of compensation from your dealers??

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you had the replacement 5th injector and ECU upgrade done? How old is your car and how many miles have you done under what conditions ( motorway . town etc. )

As a matter of interest I get slightly better than that on the two IS250 auto. cars I have owned.

Have you had the replacement 5th injector and ECU upgrade done? How old is your car and how many miles have you done under what conditions ( motorway . town etc. )

As a matter of interest I get slightly better than that on the two IS250 auto. cars I have owned.

Its a brand new car only 1200 miles on the clock now, its had ecu upgrade and driving conditions are mixed i'd say about 40% motorway and 60% urban

One things for sure - the govt tests are on a rolling road, so there is no wind or 4 wheel road resistence. The power delivery of the IS220d is so sudden and sharp that you end up on full Turbo boost more often then not....that's where it hurts you! You cannot rush the car at all - drive it gently and you will see the figures rise in most cases. If not, the Mods need doing...

As Steve is asking, please post the age of the car, how long you've had it, how many miles done etc.

Prior to ECU/5th Injector work, car averaged 26-28 in town only, and 42 on Motorway runs and mid 30's in mixed driving

Since the mods, the car will average 28-32 (yes the window is that big) in town driving only, 45-48 on Motorway runs and approx 40mpg mixed. Car is on 15500 miles...

Its a brand new car only 1200 miles on the clock now, its had ecu upgrade and driving conditions are mixed i'd say about 40% motorway and 60% urban

actually, i'd like to tell the same as others saying - when you are driving actively and "sharp" - the consumption can be twice worse than you are driving "carefully" - this is real life and no any magic...

for example - you can drive at second gear 30mph and your car will be really fast-responsive (like a "sport" mode in auto gearboxes), but you can drive 30mph on the 3rd gear (like a "normal" or "economic" mode) - and is will be not so "reactive" but much less diesel-hungry...

Anyway, it is a really good idea to check your 5th injector even on the new car... Personally i think that this is a manufacturing problem and they are (lexus) still fixing it only in services

actually, i'd like to tell the same as others saying - when you are driving actively and "sharp" - the consumption can be twice worse than you are driving "carefully" - this is real life and no any magic...

for example - you can drive at second gear 30mph and your car will be really fast-responsive (like a "sport" mode in auto gearboxes), but you can drive 30mph on the 3rd gear (like a "normal" or "economic" mode) - and is will be not so "reactive" but much less diesel-hungry...

Anyway, it is a really good idea to check your 5th injector even on the new car... Personally i think that this is a manufacturing problem and they are (lexus) still fixing it only in services

12000 mile 90%urben 10%m way had the ecu change dont know about 5th injector 26-27 mpg but i do run at just under 2k revs (thinking of hummer next to reduce the fuel bill)Had all the other faults but when reported they have all been sorted so maybe this will next month at the service.Still a better car than the usual bmw/merc/audi .love it

mine is on 8,000 miles, nearly 3 months old, told it has had all the latest mods on it pre-delivery in September 2007.

30% town, 70% motorway, 37mpg if I'm REALLY lucky - can get it up to 40mpg on the way home as I go down some steep hills, let it coast soon shoots up but REALLY boring to drive like that.......

If just around town, no more than 31-32mpg at very best.

Did complain about the mpg a month ago to dealer and was told there was nothing wrong and it does get better with age. Lexus Bristol said they had had loads of customers complain the same and in all instances they (i.e. Lex Bristol) could take the car out and get way over 40+mpg.......

I'm not 100% sure that the tank average is all that accurate, going to start recording details myself - I can't understand how you can cruise for miles (say 50 miles+) at steady spead where the instant MPG is hovering around 40+mpg to get the tank average up but as soon as you have to go up a hill or accelerate in the slightest, the tank average plumits - in my very simple maths, if you are cruising for 50 miles at 40mpg and then 0.5miles at, say, 30mpg, it should not make such a big difference as it does to the than average over the 50.5 miles total. Or am just being thick?!

Despite all this, love the car despite the ever bigger hole in my pocket!

Need to get the 'cracking' noises sorted though, getting worse at the moment, before was just one after about 5 mins or so in a morning, no getting them on a regular basis

mine is 6.4 Litres per 100km from new, thats 44mpg on the button. car has done 35000 or 20000 miles and was reg jan 06. my driving is mixed but only once every couple weeks does a journey go over half an hour. while i'm a fairly easy going driver i find that now if i do drive it on it makes v.little difference to economy, this was not always the case. i noticed the biggest difference when i bought deisel from unfranchised dealers, i've tested this a couple of times and in all instances economy dropped, sometimes by as much as 20%! while this may not be the case, their are issues in the republic of ireland with regard to laundered dodgey agrigculture deisel. on the Lexus claims side, i noticed that in the new adds for the 220 in time magazine they have reduced their claims to 38mpg! I subscribe to this magazine and i don't know if its the exact same as the one thats available in the newsagents. from a value point of view i just got the 20000 mile service done in a toyota garage and all done (wipers, fuel & oil filters, all fluids ...etc...) for 174 euro, i spoke to a guy in Lexus and was told that this would not affect my warrenty and that this is the same as the work they would have carried out

I have had my 220d for two months now and covered 1500 miles I am currently averaging 42mpg it was slightly higher before the cold weather we have had of late. For the first 500 miles it was returning about 38 mpg but has risen as the miles clock up. In the main my driving to work is on country roads passing through a number of small villages which takes me about 30 mins. The style of driving I adopt is that of the criteria set by The Institute of Advanced Motorists, which is to be in the correct gear for the speed of the vehicle and to make good progress within the speed limits.

I love the car and look forward to each time I drive it, having a few discussions with the dealer at present on my contract mileage allowance but that is another story.

Merv

Don't think you'll get very far, as they don't know what to do about it!

4 mods later

all jets replaced

1 breakdown

Car now runs like a bag of sh**, turbo only comes in at 2500rpm in 1st (which will eventually cause an acident)

55000miles av 32.2!! :tsktsk:

Now coming up to 30,000 klms...Jan 07...overall average mixed driving NO MODS 6.0 litres per 100klm or 47.1 mpg

The manufacturers figure, as Jamboo points out, was on a rolling road more than likely in 5th gear at 56mph...therefore read into it what you like.

Other important points made by others... gear choice must be correct and watch out for the consumption to go mad if the turbo is kicking in due to being in incorrect gear or driving at 80 mph.

A point was made that driving around at 60 mph the figure can be achieved...that speaks volumes....(but deemed to be boring????)

15k miles 80% urban 20% motorway , and between 27 to 30mpg ,

i ran an e280 merc auto with no miles on the clock for a few months a while ago (did 8k miles in it from new) and doing the same daily mixed driving got 35mpg and up toward 40 with more motorway work.

last week i used a Vw toran tdi for the week same driving ,averaged 47mpg.

prior to the lexus i ran a seat cupra tdi and drove it like i stole it and never did it dip below 40mpg ....... even flat out in germany. in fact on a track day in it i still manage 30+ mpg.

the lexus is appalling , i have apparently had all the mods and as its a lease car and nothing i can do i have just given up worrying.

a collegue has the same car up in scotland ..... never sees a trafic que ever and his barely scratches 35mpg.

in fact my fuel card company can tell us what the car has averaged on every single fill up if lexus want the data. but i really don't belive they have a clue or tbh care.

Had mine for about 6 months now (IS220d Sport). My daily commute is 50% motorway and 50% country roads. The best I have ever seen (and this was driving like an OAP - no offence intended) was 39mpg average. This week, after a 170 mile motorway trip on Sunday, when I didnt go over 80 mph, it did 35mpg. My last car was a Mondeo ST TDCi. For a car that supposedly has 20bhp less, it felt extremely fast compared to the IS but even when I drove it hard it never ever went below 40mpg.

Now coming up to 30,000 klms...Jan 07...overall average mixed driving NO MODS 6.0 litres per 100klm or 47.1 mpg

The manufacturers figure, as Jamboo points out, was on a rolling road more than likely in 5th gear at 56mph...therefore read into it what you like.

Other important points made by others... gear choice must be correct and watch out for the consumption to go mad if the turbo is kicking in due to being in incorrect gear or driving at 80 mph.

A point was made that driving around at 60 mph the figure can be achieved...that speaks volumes....(but deemed to be boring????)

What you seem to be missing is the German marks do not have to be driven like a nun to achieve 20-35% better results. For all of the IS's good points the diesal engine is certainly not one of them.

This whole topic in various threads seems to be made up of people complaining and others defending it with random offerings. Perhaps driving in carpet slippers should be tried!

What you seem to be missing is the German marks do not have to be driven like a nun to achieve 20-35% better results. For all of the IS's good points the diesal engine is certainly not one of them.

This whole topic in various threads seems to be made up of people complaining and others defending it with random offerings. Perhaps driving in carpet slippers should be tried!

The problem is that you can't buy a Lexus with a German diesel...

I'm still getting 45+ with 220d Sport, even when the conditions are really bad (it's a real winter up here). I have NEVER had the mileage drop below 41 MPG, not even temporarily. Now, I'm sure I could get 50+ from an Audi or a BMW with a diesel, but that's not enough to push me away from my Lexus. The economy isn't the best part of 220d, but if you modify your driving style, you can get tolerable mileage. That is on highway, at least. Urban driving is even more demanding because of the excess weight. So if your driving is mostly urban, look elsewhere.

Hi all Diesel owners,

My Diesel is doing an average MPG of 31.6 Lexus as i'm sure you are aware claim their cars do 44.8 average MPG.

I am now in a dispute with Lexus and i am asking for my money back, It would really help my case if all you Diesel owners could post a reply to this topic telling me what your average MPG is, so i can tell them that its all Diesels that are doing it and not just mine cause they keep telling me that it will get better with age but they wont say what it will get better to.

Thanks

ps i will let you all know how it goes and who knows maybe you can get some sort of compensation from your dealers??

I've got an IS220d with 15000 miles on the clock. I drive 50% motorwaay (M8) and 50% A and B roads. I've never had less than 44mpg, (unless I used supermarket fuel where it dipped to 34mpg on that one occassion). I fill up with Shell or BP standard diesel and get an average of 46mpg with the AC on constantly or 47.5mpg with it off.

I don't drive like an old man or a racing driver and I'm more than happy with performance etc. I've had the ECU mod done (which made no difference) and my injector hasn't been changed.

I'm delighted with teh car

Hi all Diesel owners,

Thanks

Mine went in to Lexus Chester with drastic fuel returns...32mpg on motorway and best was 39mpg over the month...

When it was returned the next day they said everything was fine with the car and no faults found...driving home got 46-49mpg and continue to do so!!!

From 410miles a tank to 550miles a tank...Also 6th feels better and now at 65mph change rather than 75-80mph.

Changed Injectors or flashed and re mapped ecu...who knows???! But definitely did something to it!

HAPPY

Wife drive ours most of the time driving is 90% town & 10% Motorway, getting around 37and that her still driving it like her old TT.

One problem that has surfaced is the idle decides to shoot up when the temp gauge hits the quarter mark, on initial start up fine, sits at 900rpm then out of the blue engine decides to run at 1200rpm, best way to describe is like an automatic choke stuck on, similar to a Cavalier I owned 20 years ago.

Going into Lexus Edinburgh tomorrow so will see what they come back with. Commented about only getting 37 on Urban and was told that the service managers car only gets 35 mpg.

Other items to be looked at are changing mirror to one that doesn't dance to the music, software upgrade to add auto locking, and they are also going to look at the handbrake as wife can only get it to hold by using both hands, if it is one notch off the top won't hold fully on hills.

Will be interesting to see what they can fix.

Wife drive ours most of the time driving is 90% town & 10% Motorway, getting around 37and that her still driving it like her old TT.

Wow - it must all be down hill then...??? :whistling:

If I could even get 32mpg consistently driving like a priest in town I'd be happy...and mine has had every upgrade and mod done...

50 miles of urban driving only, and my "needle" today is sat at 26mpg...

The erratic idle is normal too...if you switch the AC off, it does sometimes drop back to 900. Diesels don't normally have a Choke of any description as far as I know.

Dropped the car off, have been told they are getting a lot of reports regarding the idling problem Lexus HQ are aware of the problem and working on a fix, asked if this will be another software upgrade and was told probably.... They did comment the same as Jamboo about the air-con but as it's hardly used can't be that..

They are going to call when car ready, told them as I have RX Hybrid call me next week... :)