Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all, this is my first post – but I have been reading the forum lots and I wondered if you could help / advise me please.

I test drove, last Sat, the IS220d (base model) – had it all day from Lexus Coventry and was really impressed with it – the torque was unreal when you drop down a gear – and I understand fully the issue surrounding the 6th gear ratio when cruising on a motorway. It was so easy to drive and rather quiet on the road for a diesel. I was going to buy one but something happened on the very next day, Sunday, which put a spanner in the works.

Last Sunday I had an IS250 SE-L auto for the day, again from Lexus Coventry (who could not do enough for me) and was blown away by the refinement of the 6-speed auto box. The engine, although did not pull as quickly as dropping a gear in the diesel, was sublime. The smoothness of the gauto ear change and quietness of the engine made the drive superb. Yes all the toys on it were nice – but I am more interested in the engine.

I will probably do about 10,000 – 12,000 miles per year in whichever one I decide to get (yes will get one of them). I am going to get a used one with a few thousand miles on the clock but less than 12 months old and around the £22k mark.

For the sports I do, I have a big Volvo V70 auto petrol (the wife will have this one) – so the lexus would be a second car.

I will probably do about 50% motorway and 50% A/B roads and am now unsure whether to get the 220d Diesel or 250 Petrol. I would appreciate your time if, between us, I could come to a solid conclusion on which one to get as I am itching to get one of them.

Dave

Hi Dave

From past experience, I'd definitely go for the IS250 without question. If it's your own personal purchase (i.e. not a company car), then if I'm honest, don't even consider the diesel, you will not save that much on fuel.

Not saying I don't love my 220D, it is a great car, but I was under exactly the same impression as you after test drives - wasn't until 2 or 3 weeks into having the car on my drive that it starts to kick in that the 220D is not quite there at this moment in time. Coming from a 130bhp diesal, the power blew me away in the test drive as well and I probably didn't pay too much attention to the fuel consumption as I should have.....

The fuel economy simply does not add up and it is this you may not notice until you have the car - there are plenty of posts on this forum going into this in great detail. No matter how I drive my car, I simply cannot get a good MPG return. Yes I've only just done 8,000 miles in 3 months but I'd still expect way more than 38mpg I'm currently getting (and a high proportion is motorway cruising at 70mph).

Example is my previous car - 7 seater MPV, very heavy, 130bhp diesel. From new, regularly returned 45+mpg on a tank no matter how hard I drove it. Drive it like I do the Lexus now (very carefully, no quick acceleration etc) and you would get 50+mpg no problems. Same size tank in the Lexus as MPV - Lexus lucky if I get 470 miles, MPV 600+ everytime from new, mixed driving. I could even get a far better MPG return on the MPV with the great big roof box on and fully loaded!

Everyone says it will get better once you hit 10,000, 20,000 etc etc - time will tell

As said at the start, I do love my IS220D and do do a lot of miles (30,000 or more a year) so the diesal over time when compared to the petrol version will be more economical to me personally, just not as much of a saving as I first expected that's all

That's my 2 pennies worth anyway - whichever engine you go for you'll love it, they are GREAT cars, can't drive mine enough!

Thanks GJD - I appreciate your opinion. It will be a private car (not Company) and value your comments on the mpg - if the 250 auto only did 19mpg - no contest ! but it doesn't and even though I drove it quite hard (well hardish with only 700 miles on the clock - did not want to overdo it) the fuel needle did not move as much as I expected a V6 would (did about 70 miles). The IS250 is what, I believe, lexus is all about - the quiteness, the comfy interior etc. I know others have had problems, but who doesn't on a car - I always say if 80% of the owners have problems then there must be a serious problem. But I am erring on the side of that fab 6 speed auto !

ProLex-UK - thanks ! although I was tempted by the GS450h they have in the showroom in Coventry - but at £43k a little out of the price range. I have a big enough problem sorting out 2 cars in the IS range, let alone if I was too look at the GS range as well !! :-))))

Hi all, this is my first post – but I have been reading the forum lots and I wondered if you could help / advise me please.

I test drove, last Sat, the IS220d (base model) – had it all day from Lexus Coventry and was really impressed with it – the torque was unreal when you drop down a gear – and I understand fully the issue surrounding the 6th gear ratio when cruising on a motorway. It was so easy to drive and rather quiet on the road for a diesel. I was going to buy one but something happened on the very next day, Sunday, which put a spanner in the works.

Last Sunday I had an IS250 SE-L auto for the day, again from Lexus Coventry (who could not do enough for me) and was blown away by the refinement of the 6-speed auto box. The engine, although did not pull as quickly as dropping a gear in the diesel, was sublime. The smoothness of the gauto ear change and quietness of the engine made the drive superb. Yes all the toys on it were nice – but I am more interested in the engine.

I will probably do about 10,000 – 12,000 miles per year in whichever one I decide to get (yes will get one of them). I am going to get a used one with a few thousand miles on the clock but less than 12 months old and around the £22k mark.

For the sports I do, I have a big Volvo V70 auto petrol (the wife will have this one) – so the lexus would be a second car.

I will probably do about 50% motorway and 50% A/B roads and am now unsure whether to get the 220d Diesel or 250 Petrol. I would appreciate your time if, between us, I could come to a solid conclusion on which one to get as I am itching to get one of them.

Dave

Take a look at the Petrol or Diesel? thread.

I was initially interested in the 220d, but then drove the 250 auto. My mind was made up in an instant!

The 250 auto has an amazing engine and gearbox. It's even pretty economical for a v6 2.5 litre auto.

Thanks Dazed - somehow I missed that post! and after reading that and the comments here, I am going to go for the Vauxhall Astra 1.7 Diesel the "Y" reg one - the one that rattles the road...

Seriously though, thank you for all the comments - I have just emailed my dealer and asked him to find me an IS250 Auto SE with the Mark Levinson sound system as a minimum spec.. Lets see what he come up with within my budget..

I agree - the mpg on the V6 seems pretty economical...

I will let you all know once I have made that purchase !

Regards

Dave

IS350 !!

:offtopic:

erm there not exactly easy to come by are they........

the poster wasnt asking about alternative options...he was asking about 220 or 250

hang on,....why not the ISf.... :winky:

we know your getting an is350 dave.....

I can't really advise on which one of the two to get, however...............

IF you decide to go with the diesel, then you are able to remap the car for even more power which might make the diesel a better option?? The place I had my BMW done (and Gords BMW when he had one) can get you extra 35bhp and 65NM of torque!

So from 175bhp to 210bhp and from 400NM to 465NM.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...c=42551&hl=

IS350 !!

:offtopic:

erm there not exactly easy to come by are they........

the poster wasnt asking about alternative options...he was asking about 220 or 250

hang on,....why not the ISf.... :winky:

we know your getting an is350 dave.....

Not sure of your point Mat.

Fact is if someone wants one (IS350) it can be here in 8 weeks fully ESVA'd. This can be new or used.

I can also source IS-Fs from early 2008 :whistling:

my point was the discussion was about fuel economy between the 220 and 250, the 350 is a different league, and not really available in the Uk, with full European warrenty

Mat it is available as I have got one and get new ones or second hand ones FACT

Going on the data I have available the mpg from the 350 is not much worse bearing in mind you get 101 extra BHP

If people are not aware of the fact that its AVAILABLE they can't make a choice can they..........

On warranty can't see how that is a problem as I have one of the best companies underwriting the warranties I offer.

Had my diesel for 19 moths, from new. Vary shortly after I got it I realised I made a mistake...

The IS250 Auto SE with MM is too good...no contest!

Don't get me wrong, the 220d is not that bad, it just has too many little foibles...:

Fuel economy

6th Gear

No Auto option (which would make the oiler car very good, and if it was more economical like the 250 Auto is it would be excellent...)

narrow power delivery

Flat spotty (though most single Turbo diesels are)

Go get that 250 Auto, fill yer boots! Normal driving you will see 30+mpg regularly, driven gently some have gone into the 40's on a run. That's marginally worse than a 220d!

For city, that's not bad. A lot better than the 18mpg I get round town, and it's actually slightly quicker too...

Dave, is that a RHD IS350 you're getting - ie a Jap one rather than a US one?

yes it is.

check out my section for info on importing is350 and the IS-F

hi, dave.g.

i am also in a simialar postion to yourself, i have been kicking tyres for so long that i have got very sore toes....

i have driven the 220 d only last week for a few hours, after which i was left feeling somewhat empty,yes it is a very nice car but this diesel does not quiet do it for me. let me explain i used to drive a 2 yr. old A4TDI. which has an awesome engine by which i mean it pulls like a train,in any gear and feels like a missile,which the lex simply does not do..shame about the build quality and constant problems,hence me looking at lexus....

there a few threads on this forum which seem to suggest the diesel although good is not at the top of the class yet.and owners seem divided those who have the diesel seem to have wished for the petrol and vise versa.. pays your money takes your chance..the perfect car has not yet been built...i have made enough made choices in the past..

i do intend on trying the petrol in the near future,i did try it a while ago but we had the sales guy in with us (not quiet the same ).so a further test drive is on order...will keep you posted .

ps whilst in the 220 the rear view mirror was vibrating and we heard two very loud crack like noises coming from the middle dash area..this was a base 220 on an 07 plate 2.500 miles on the clock..

regards mickey.j.

Mickey J,

Try the IS250 auto petrol... I was blown away with the refinement - so much so I've bought an IS250 SE with MM... You will not be dissapointed with it. Mine arrived at the delaer today and I, hopefully, will pick it up towards the end of this week. Do not get me wrong, the diesel was fun to drive and watch the cars get left behind when you drop a gear, but if you read most of the threads everyone says go for IS250 auto and when you have driven it you will understand why.

Lexus Coventry worked their socks off to get me the right car at the right price !

Regards

Dave

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links