Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking to buy an IS200 sport

Hi,

I found the club and thougt who better to ask than you lot...

I went for my first look at the car at my local show room (Reading in Berkshire).... I fell for it straight away!

Had come straight from an Honda garage viewing the Civic Type R and to be honest i wasnt impressed. (I think im growing out of that phase now!)

I finish University in 2 months and am looking to get one straight away, unfortunately my budget wont stretch to a brand new example so will be looking for a used one with a budget of around 15-16K

What are my chances of finding a good example for that cash? Also if someone could list for me points to look out for on used cars that would be great (or point me to a previous thread)

Also sites for tuners would be helpful as its gonna need to be faster....

[Edited on 18-3-2002 by UK_IS200]

Hi UK_IS200

Depends on mileage - you'll need to get a pretty high mileage one to get a Sport for 15-16k. I bought my S for 16.5k last september - it's a 2000 V-reg and had just 18k miles on when I bought it. I guess you could get an SE with 30-40k miles for that. Try the lexus web-site - they have a uk wide database of used vehicles that you can search by price etc.

The cars come with the remainder of their 3 year warranty and they check them over before they sell them second hand so there are few worries. There are few common problems - there's a thread here somewhere listing them and the dealers are really good at fixing them under warranty. I had a wheel alignment prob and had 4 shocks replaced, plus wheel alignment done, plus car washed, plus 3ltr RX courtesy car - all under warranty. Apart from that just make sure you check over the paintwork for scratches, stone-chips etc.

BTW I'm in Reading too - the dealers there are truly excellent. Which salesman did you talk to? David dealt with my purchase and was very helpful. When I went in again after a few months he said "Hello Chris" - impressive!

Hi!

I spoke to David Loyes, he was realy helpful.

I get alot of problems with dealers cos of my age (22) they dont tend to take me seriously but there was no question of that. (Unlike the Honda dealership on the Bath Road! I left in disgust.)

Id love to buy one from a dealership but was hoping to go private and get a bit more for my money.....

Are there many issues with high milers?

have you thought about Importing an Altezza? I can put you intouch with a good Import dealer in Cantebury who will find you something real nice or may have an Altezza already in the country. Fully loaded and will be in top notch condition.

Yes - it was David Loyes that I dealt with too.

When I've been into the dealers I've been dressed casual with my kids climbing over the seats and playing with the water cooler and I still get treated like I'm a valued customer even though I don't feel like I fit the luxury make image. The customer service is on a completely different planet to Vauxhall - I had 3 cavaliers before.

The attitude he showed when i went in was most impressive. Now im the first to admit im probably not the average potential lexus owner (22 yrs old, 6'2 Prop Forward! lol) but i was treated curtiously and take seriously.

I was unsure if the 200 would be the car for me but the running costs and insurance really swung me!

Ive contemplated importing a car before, and its something im prepared to do, as i mentioned i want the most car for my money that i can get!

All details greatly received!

You could go private and save a few quid, but make sure you get a thorough AA or RAC inspection carried out before parting with your cash. Remember - It's a Lexus so it's not going to be cheap to fix if it turns out to be a dud. If you don't do the above, then at least get a HPI check on any recorded history.

I would steer you towards a lexus dealer for a good used example. It's worth just looking at the used car search facility on Lexus.co.uk to get a feel for what is on offer. Non metallics are always cheaper as are those without Sat Nav.

I toyed with the idea of getting a used one, import, or buy from Trade Sales. In the end I felt better to spend a few thousand more and buy a new one from the Lexus dealership - but that's just me!

Good Luck

goto this site

www.neweraimports.com

Miguel is a rreal good dealer and has a good eye for a good car... he will find you wahat your looking for at a real good price!!!

enquire and see how cheap he can get Altezzas for!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links