Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Install The Gromaudio Ipod Adaptor In 1st Gen Is

firstly, thanks hando for the detailed instructions!

I've been trying to replace the aftermarket headunit in my 1999 Altezza RS200. Looking at the different dash configurations mine has a felt tray above the a/c system and and already has an audioleads facia in place.

Looking at this post by hando it looks straight forward but I just cant get the audioleads fascia to come free in any way. I have tried gently lifting the felt tray and cant see any way to remove it, trying each of the methods in this post.

The previous installer has installed the aftermarket stereo without the metal mounting sleeve that usually quick-releases out a stereo, so without removing the audioleads fascia I'm not going to make any progress.

Has anyone had experience with taking out the fascia with this type of dash configuration or have any further tips on taking out the felt pad as I'm guessing this is the crucial part of the problem. Any help would be appreciated!

The felt tray is held in with two press clips one either side. you have to give it a good prod to release them.........I put a paint scraper to between the dash top and the lint tray to stop the plastic getting marked, then pushed a thin blade screw driver between the scraper and the lint tray and pushed it up......the clips are about 20mm in from the side.......

It does take a bit of a push to release them..........hope this helps

firstly, thanks hando for the detailed instructions!

I've been trying to replace the aftermarket headunit in my 1999 Altezza RS200. Looking at the different dash configurations mine has a felt tray above the a/c system and and already has an audioleads facia in place.

Looking at this post by hando it looks straight forward but I just cant get the audioleads fascia to come free in any way. I have tried gently lifting the felt tray and cant see any way to remove it, trying each of the methods in this post.

The previous installer has installed the aftermarket stereo without the metal mounting sleeve that usually quick-releases out a stereo, so without removing the audioleads fascia I'm not going to make any progress.

Has anyone had experience with taking out the fascia with this type of dash configuration or have any further tips on taking out the felt pad as I'm guessing this is the crucial part of the problem. Any help would be appreciated!

The felt tray is held in with two press clips one either side. you have to give it a good prod to release them.........I put a paint scraper to between the dash top and the lint tray to stop the plastic getting marked, then pushed a thin blade screw driver between the scraper and the lint tray and pushed it up......the clips are about 20mm in from the side.......

It does take a bit of a push to release them..........hope this helps

OK I got it sorted so thought I'd put the info up in case anyone else needs help with this.

It turns out that the top of the console form just below the centre air vents up to behind the felt tray all pulls out from the clips.

To remove

Hold the felt tray/air vents with your fingers on the air vents and pull toward the back of the car firmly, the clips will release the the vents and felt pad will come away. Note this part comes out not upwards but straight backwards.

Once this part is removed there are obvious mounting bolts to remove the remaining parts. Removing the stereo was nothing to do with popping out the felt pad as I have seen mentioned, as the felt pad is screwed into the console.

• 4 weeks later...
OK I got it sorted so thought I'd put the info up in case anyone else needs help with this.

It turns out that the top of the console form just below the centre air vents up to behind the felt tray all pulls out from the clips.

To remove

Hold the felt tray/air vents with your fingers on the air vents and pull toward the back of the car firmly, the clips will release the the vents and felt pad will come away. Note this part comes out not upwards but straight backwards.

Once this part is removed there are obvious mounting bolts to remove the remaining parts. Removing the stereo was nothing to do with popping out the felt pad as I have seen mentioned, as the felt pad is screwed into the console.

Phew. Good job I bookmarked this thread and noticed this extra post. Just taken delivery of one of these adapters and will be installing it very soon.... not that I have an iPod yet :blush:

• 4 months later...

Some two weeks ago, I bought a gromaudio device off the GROMaudio eBay shop for my Lexus. It got delivered earlier this week and I installed it tonight. :whistling: Couldn't believe how easy it was. I took it very seriously and spent a lot of time looking how to remove the tray and buttoncovers (below radio). That's why it took me an hour and a half. The actual installation took less than an hour.

I have to say that Lexuses are built like a rock. Incredible how all bolts are turned in the exact same position and everything fits so tight. No difficulty taking the audio unit out nor putting it back in. Went like a dream... :hehe: of course mainly due to the very good manual described here. :D Thank you!

What puzzled me a bit is where to put the iPod adapter. :blink: It wouldn't fit in the space behind the radio. I finally put it behind the glovebox in a narrow space where a cable holds it in place. That seems like a suitable place without too much temperature differences. Now I have to see that it stays put and doesn't start to make noises.

Any suggestions welcome!

Nice one mate, I was a bit apprehensive when I did mine too, but found it pretty straightforward in the end thanks to the guides and also the help of the fantastic members on here :winky:

With regard to stopping any rattles, I used a bit of felt padding and lots of cable ties to stop things moving about - about 6 months on it all seems fine :)

• 1 year later...

Picking my Grom unit up tonight so will hopefully find an hour on the weekend to fit it. Will post any procedural updates or tips I come across.

Cheers for all the previous posts, pics and tips that have given me the confidence to crack on.

Ta

Hoops

Picking my Grom unit up tonight so will hopefully find an hour on the weekend to fit it. Will post any procedural updates or tips I come across.

Cheers for all the previous posts, pics and tips that have given me the confidence to crack on.

Ta

Hoops

Hi all, Fitted the Grom unit in under 40mins and does as it says on the tin. Hardest part of the install was disconnecting the TRC plug which was fiddly. (the heated seats plugs came out easily).

Just be aware on an LE there is a cover just in front of the dash tray that hides two screws that secure the tray and fans to the dash. Remove these screws and pull the tray assembly free. No need to remove tray etc.

FYI, I purchased the TOYI version and it works a treat. I have a Ipod touch. I think this cable is also compatible with Iphone etc.

Piece of cake I say.

Thansk to all posters on this subject.

Oh, decided to give it a wash aswell as had time spare as the Grom fit didnt take long...just finished buffing the finish and it started raining :crybaby:

• 3 weeks later...

Great guide! I hope I will be able to fit XCarLink into my car (ordered it from eBay - was a bit cheaper than Grom kit). Question for these, who have still got the bottom loading CD player - what models does it have written on the headunit? Did you manage to get the Grom unit to work with it?

P.S. Wouldn't it be enough space to try to plug the unit to the back of the stereo without moving it a bit forward (maybe that would save time on dismantling the top tray)? :) - it's impossible

Update: XCarLink works just as fine as Gromaudio adaptor. It also works with older bottom loading (model no. 13901) head unit. I have seen 13902 model for spares at my local electric worker and I didn't remember seeing an appropriate plug for external CD changer on it - that's probably the reason, why the adapters may not work on these units.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick question before I order a Grom adapter.

Is there any chance of squeeks or rattles appearing after installation?

The silence onboard is one of those things I really like about the IS200, I'd hate to mess that up by pulling out the dashboard.

[edit] Installed the adapter, works nicely. The Grom unit fits nicely between the radio and driver's side of the dashboard. Thanks for this guide!

Just a quick question before I order a Grom adapter.

Is there any chance of squeeks or rattles appearing after installation?

The silence onboard is one of those things I really like about the IS200, I'd hate to mess that up by pulling out the dashboard.

No not really - dash removal/re-assembly is very easy so there's no reason for anything to be put back "wrongly" : causing squeaks.

As long as you're careful where you put the grom unit and it is securely "snug" then there shouldn't be any rattles either.

Had mine in for two years now - no squeaks, no rattles and it's never missed a beat.

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks. First post, great forum.

I'm waiting on an XCarlink usb device being delivered. I was wondering if anyone knew what length the 'head unit to xcarlink cable' is?

Would it be long enough to stretch from the back of the HU to the glove box? If not, is there space behind the HU to fit it there? I've read the excellent guide on post 1, but this was the only thing that didn't appear clear to me.

Thanks in advance.

The grom cable isn't long enough to reach the glovebox, but not sure about the xcarlink one.

However if it's USB, could you just get an extension cable?

I might be wrong, but my understanding of it is that the USB cable is from the xcarlink to your media device. Is that correct?

I might be wrong, but my understanding of it is that the USB cable is from the xcarlink to your media device. Is that correct?

Good point, sorry wasn't thinking properly - although the worst case would be to leave the unit behind the headunit (there is room to the side) and run a USB cable to the glovebox, although this would block access to the SD slot

iirc mine was?!

Oh in that case nevermind, my aux one in any case was not long enough for me to be able to put the grom unit in the glovebox

Good point, sorry wasn't thinking properly - although the worst case would be to leave the unit behind the headunit (there is room to the side) and run a USB cable to the glovebox, although this would block access to the SD slot

That's what I was thinking. I'd like the unit in the glovebox so I could get access to the SD slot if needed. It's no big deal if it doesn't stretch, though, as long as it fits snugly beside the HU, that will be fine.

It should be here tomorrow so I guess it will just be trial and error until I find the best location for it.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Dear Hando,

I have been reading yr instruction to remove the CD panel. My IS200 is a 51Reg, its CD is long dead. I would like to fit an Ipod to it. My questions are: since i am really a novice with cars left alone with fiddling the CD panel. Is it easy to remove the CD unit/panel please? And what Ipod is compatible with my car please?

Your advice is very valuable to me.

Many thanks and please get back to me when you have time. My email is: phidung007@yahoo.com

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I just picked up a Grom unit (unsure of model - bought used from a member of another forum, but it has ports for iPhone/iPod, an Aux 3.5mm stereo jack and a USB port for flash drives). Came with the the harness, an iPod dock connector to DIN cable, and a female to male USB cable.

The Grom Unit

50faeef0.jpg

a1384a91.jpg

Fitting is super simple. Like the OP said, the headunit to Grom unit cable is not long enough to stretch to the glove box, but since mine is for iPod/USB/Aux, and not for SD/MMC card, there's no reason to have it in the glove box for regular access, so that wasn't a concern for me. If you did get one with a card slot that you want regular access too, the cable is long enough to drop down behind the head unit and seat/TRC buttons, to let the Grom box sit in the coin tray under the seat/TRC buttons.

Also like the OP, I chose to have my iPod cable exit under the seat TRC buttons, so I could leave my iPod in that coin tray; out of sight enough, but also easy to grab to select a track, unplug and remove, etc. I used a drill to cut a small notch in the back edge of the seat/TRC button unit so that when clipped back in, the iPod cable wouldn't be trapped tightly. You don't need to do this, but I thought it would be better so as not to trap the cable which may damage it, and since the notch I cut was on the back edge, it'd never be seen or felt.

As for mounting the Grom box itself, I was armed with cable ties and sticky pads, thinking I'd need to either tie it down or stick it to a flat surface behind the headunit so it didn't rattle around or swing free. Turns out, it's the absolute perfect size to sit on top of the AC controls behind the dash (under where the dash tray, or sat nav if you have it, and airvents are)

987C5388-9F40-4B3E-AE04-1D12DE8E3E7C-2353-000001F0BA44D6D5.jpg

1F0FC83B-2E24-4EE5-BDF4-F9899896F155-2353-000001F0BF4BD95C.jpg

I didn't stick it down or cable tie it - and you can move it with your finger, but it's not so loose it will slide around; it stays pretty much where it is. As a bonus to that, I reckon it'd be pretty easy to plug in an extra cable (since I didn't bother to run the USB cable or Aux cable) without having to pull everything apart again, but just taking off the dash tray/sat nav part.

With it all plugged in a working, this is how your iPod looks in "simple" mode (which means the iPod still has full control use on the click wheel, and the stereo controls are basically limited to skip forward or back)

DE1DA70C-803B-42DF-8538-4B3EDFD929C0-2353-000001F0B02E9603.jpg

In "advanced" mode (which means you can't use the click wheel on the iPod, and the headunit CD buttons control the playlists on the iPod, plus forward and back skip of course), the screen on the iPod changes to this;

3D430A85-56F3-4A19-BECC-1CC9AC00B949-2353-000001F0B5965233.jpg

More about the use of modes available here - http://gromaudio.com...ipd3_manual.pdf

All in all, it seems to be a great bit of kit. The iPod sounds great through it, no real difference than a CD would sound (obviously dependant on the bit rate quality of the music on your iPod of course; mines all pretty HQ). I did run into one small problem after installing mine. After I plugged it all in, and tested it with my Iphone and iPod Classic, and it was great - sound was clear and loud, the playlist controls on the headunit were all working fine etc. So I then plugged the USB cable in, as well as a stereo jack cable, repositioned the Grom unit (which sits perfectly on top of the AC unit, behind the dash), and ran all the cables down behind to come out under the heated seats and TRC buttons. Then wanted to restest just before I did all the screws back up. So I tried the Aux stereo jack cable, and it didn't sound great; quiet/low volume, muffled, too bassy. So I tried the iPod connector again, and it sounded the same! Nothing like as good as it did before. I tried turning the stereo on and off, killing the ignition power etc, and it still sounded bad, and none of the playlist controls were working either. Then I noticed when you turn the stereo back on, a little voice said "USB" - earlier I had noticed it said "iPod". So a quick look on Grom's site for the user manual for trouble shooting says;

3.1 Different MODES of GROM-USB (for CD changer emulation only!)

Please read this part entirely before attempting to change the modes. You will need to perform all the steps

below quickly with 1-2 seconds interval.

Depending on your GROM firmware version, GROM-USB can work in two or three modes: USB, AUX (EXT) or iPod.

Step I. When you need to switch between the MODES, first you will need to enter into the “MODE CHANGING” state on your car stereo. There are two possible scenarios:

Rev. 3.1.2 6

1. The stereo is already in the CD changer mode (GROM USB is activated). Press FM/AM -> wait 1-2 second -> press CD (DISC).

2. The stereo is in any other mode (FM, SAT, etc...): press CD (DISC) -> wait 1-2 second -> press FM/AM -> wait 1 second -> press CD (DISC).

Step II. You will hear the voice announcing the currently playing mode (USB, AUX or iPod). To switch to the next

mode, press Next Track button quickly (   ,   or respective button on your car stereo) while the voice prompt is

announcing. The next mode will be announced right after. If you need to select another mode, simply press Next Track button again and so on until you select the desired mode.

Note: If you do not hear the voice announcement, it means that you did not press quickly enough and the adapter is not in the “MODE CHANGING” state anymore. Please perform STEP I again.

Back out to the car, tried that, and got it to say "iPod" - plugged in and presto! All working great again!

I was going to get the xCarLink model, which is £85 shipped, but decided to chance this second hand Grom unit since it was £35 inc next day postage, and so far it's been great. When you kill the ignition, the iPod pauses and goes to sleep, and when you come back later and start the car, the iPod automatically begins playing (with no button presses needed) from where it was (just like a CD in the standard headunit or changer would). The only thing I can see that's missing is a play/pause button, which is because more or less no headunits have a play/pause button on them (which I've never understood - you either have to turn the headunit off, or switch source). But if you are in simple mode with the iPod, you can still use the play/pause button on the click wheel, so no big deal.

I'm tempted to get the Bluetooth adapter kit (GROM-BTX), which can be had for £48, but I just don't think I do enough miles/driving in the car to warrant buying it - for the rare occasions I need to take/make a call driving in the IS, the stock iPhone headphones will do I reckon...

Edit - one last thing I thought of. From what I can tell, the xCarLink unit monopolises the CD changer port on the back of the headunit. That's fine if you don't intend on having an external changer (CD or MD) plugged into it, but the From harness is a little bit clever, as it has a passthrough plug in it also; one plug on the harness goes into the CD changer port on the HU, and the other plug accepts the external changer plug, so you can have both plugged in and use either the external changer, or the Grom for your iPod. Not a concern for me, as a) I don't use CD's much if at all these days (everything is iPod/iTunes based) and B) I can't see me wanting more than the 6 available CD slots on the stock headunit anyway! But just thought it worth a mention

I've just hit that brick wall you've mentioned with the xcarlink unit. My IS200 SE has the external amp, and the data connection plugs into the AVC-LAN (cd changer) plug.

Therefore, if I plug my xcarlink in my stereo won't control the amplifier volume.

For that reason alone I'm not happy with the xcarlink unit. As I'm sure a high percentage of uk cars will have the external amplifier type stereo.

I'm either going to need a Y splitter or to modify my wiring.

As I mentioned in the other thread, that problem *might* be avoided with the wiring harness that comes with the Grom; it has a passthrough for the CD changer plug, allowing you to plug the Grom into the CD changer port, and an external changer into the passthrough plug, so that you can run both from the headunit. I don't know if it will allow external amp volume control, but iy could be worth an ask to Grom. If you can get hold of the female plug, you may be able to split the wiring of your xCarLink to feed back to the connector for passthrough, allowing both the xCarLink and the external amp to work - bit beyond me there though; I'm useless at wiring and electronics!