Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Irish Vrt (vehicle Registration Tax) Rate

This is mainly for Irish guys on here but I'm sure the rest of you are interested.

We had our Budget for next year announced last night. The minister has decided to change out existing VRT tax system from an engine size system to an emissions based system. Here are the new rates that will apply from 1st July next year.

A 0 - 120g 14%

B 121 - 140g 16%

C 141 - 155g 20%

D 156 - 170g 24%

E 171 - 190 g 28%

F 191 - 225g 32%

G 226g and over 36%

For your information. Under the current system the Is250 either manual or auto is liable to 30% VRT on the "open market price" as they call it here. when the new system comes in the Auto will go up to 32% VRT and the Manual to 36% VRT. The IS220 will be 24% but the Sport version will be 32% where both are currently 30%.

And if you look at the new LS the 460 will pay 36% and the 600H only 32% and again to now the 460 was 30% and the 600H was 16% (Hybrid discount)

So in a country where we are already ridden like donkeys by the tax on our cars the prices are about to go up.

Oh joy.

One of the reasons I sold up in Balbriggan and moved to near Newry 18 months ago.I saved €14,700 VRT and a couple of grand on VAT on my new IS250 EXEC MM AUTO.The VRT was £38 here!!!!!.Fed up getting ripped of in Eire and as i work in Dundalk it made perfect sense.

It is obvious Berties crowd still want to shaft you some more.I think everybody there shoud fit a set of handle bars to their shoulders to make it easier(joke) :unsure:

One of the reasons I sold up in Balbriggan and moved to near Newry 18 months ago.I saved €14,700 VRT and a couple of grand on VAT on my new IS250 EXEC MM AUTO.The VRT was £38 here!!!!!.Fed up getting ripped of in Eire and as i work in Dundalk it made perfect sense.

It is obvious Berties crowd still want to shaft you some more.I think everybody there shoud fit a set of handle bars to their shoulders to make it easier(joke) :unsure:

It just seems insane. What it basically means is that if you buy a large engined high emmission car in June next year you will be paying €1490 road tax for the life of the car and 30% VRT. However if you buy the same car in July you will pay €2000 road tax for the life of the car and 36% VRT. What is that going to do to the resale value of cars.

All this will do is keep the older higher emmissions cars on the road for a lot longer.

Idiots :tsktsk:

It just seems insane. What it basically means is that if you buy a large engined high emmission car in June next year you will be paying €1490 road tax for the life of the car and 30% VRT. However if you buy the same car in July you will pay €2000 road tax for the life of the car and 36% VRT. What is that going to do to the resale value of cars.

All this will do is keep the older higher emmissions cars on the road for a lot longer.

Idiots :tsktsk:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

Finally i've got a reason to be happy I bought the diesel

Although it limits my ability to trade up to say a year old 450h next time around as I will take a hit on the resale value because the price of a new 220d will drop about €8000 next july with an obvious corresponding drop in the price I will get for mine. Looks like another 220d for me providing they (Lexus) fix the boot otherwise its a 320d

Mind you I cant see it being legal to charge two different road tax prices for the same car just because they were bought a couple of months apart. I can see someone going to court to challenge this bias.

Annual Motor tax rates will be graduated as one moves up the CO2 bands, as follows:

Band A, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of under 120grams per kilometre - motor tax rate of €100.

Band B, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 121 and 140 grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €150.

Band C, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 141 and 155grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €290.

Band D, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 156 and 170 grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €430.

Band E, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 171 and 190grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €600.

Band F, which corresponds to CO2 emissions of between 191 and 225 grams per kilometre – motor tax rate of €1,000.

Band G, the top band – motor tax rate of €2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per kilometre.

this means that the 220d will be taxed at 430 euro and the auto 250 will be taxed at a grand, manual 250 with emmissions of 231 looks like being hit for 2 grand, ouch....! I was waiting for the budget to see what to do about a new car expecting to order a new 220 easterish, now i'll wait for delivery 1st july as annual road tax will drop from 820 euro to 430 (750 to be increased by 10% in budget)

Looks like the IS250 Auto will be less expensive than the IS250 Manual!

As much as it pains me to have to pay extra tax, I think this was the right thing to do. We can't all keep pumping out massive amounts of CO2. Hopefully other countries will follow suit, and this will force the car manufacturers to speed up the move to alternative fuels.

Maybe next time around we'll have a hybrid IS250H, or maybe in a few years a hydrogen IS250H2!

Colm

As much as it pains me to have to pay extra tax, I think this was the right thing to do. We can't all keep pumping out massive amounts of CO2.

I agree to an extent, but it bugs me that I, doing 4000-5000 miles a year in total, have to pay the same tax as those doing 10 times that.

As much as it pains me to have to pay extra tax, I think this was the right thing to do. We can't all keep pumping out massive amounts of CO2.

I agree to an extent, but it bugs me that I, doing 4000-5000 miles a year in total, have to pay the same tax as those doing 10 times that.

What an idiot I am. There was me thinking that the road tax for my car would go down. Not so my friends.road tax on our 220d's is going up 9.5% to about €827 per year for the life of the car or until we get rid of it to some other fool who thinks he is becoming more environmentally friendly by getting a second hand diesel and gets hit with the feb 2008 car tax bill.

I dont really want to believe that we have a minister for green things who is so plainly stupid that he does not see the inequity of this tax. This is also going to kill diesel sales for the first 6 months of 2008 because only an idiot will buy one before July 2008, so he is actually at cross purposes with his stated aims . Ive a good mind to buy a 2nd hand S Class which I should be able to get at a good price now and keep it for 15 years gassing all and sundry who come near me.

Its enough to make you cry in your corn flakes ,I cant wait for the local elections.

Barry,

You're correct about it destroying sales of diesels in the first half of 2008. However, I suspect the issue is that they won't have the info on file about your cars CO2 output, and therefore can't automatically issue motor tax bills under the new system. They could of course look up the details for each one, but I suspect that's too much work for them.

There is another way of looking at it though. You purchased your car expecting to pay appx €800 per year in road tax. Now that's going up by 9.5%. You would of course have expected that your road tax would go up by inflation each year, which is currently running at just over 4%. So if you bought your car in the first half of 2007, you would expect to have to pay an extra 4% in 2008 (but you won't, because it will not come in until after you renew your tax), and you would expect to pay another 4% in 2009. So you'll only end up paying 1.5% more than you would have reasonably expected to pay when you purchased your car.

If you bought your car in the first half of 2006, then you'll actually be paying LESS than you would have reaonably expected in 2009, as you'd have an extra year of inflation! :tomato:

In other words, you got the deal that you signed up to. If you want to change the deal, then change your car after 1 July next!

Anyone who thinks an IS220 is an environmently friendly car is mislead. It may be significantly better than it's petrol brother, but it is not envirormently friendly. As much as I love my IS250, I think the government are right to be encouraging us not to drive them in their current format. I really wish Lexus had brought out a hybrid IS. I certainly would have bought it.

Colm

Barry,

You're correct about it destroying sales of diesels in the first half of 2008. However, I suspect the issue is that they won't have the info on file about your cars CO2 output, and therefore can't automatically issue motor tax bills under the new system. They could of course look up the details for each one, but I suspect that's too much work for them.

There is another way of looking at it though. You purchased your car expecting to pay appx €800 per year in road tax. Now that's going up by 9.5%. You would of course have expected that your road tax would go up by inflation each year, which is currently running at just over 4%. So if you bought your car in the first half of 2007, you would expect to have to pay an extra 4% in 2008 (but you won't, because it will not come in until after you renew your tax), and you would expect to pay another 4% in 2009. So you'll only end up paying 1.5% more than you would have reasonably expected to pay when you purchased your car.

If you bought your car in the first half of 2006, then you'll actually be paying LESS than you would have reaonably expected in 2009, as you'd have an extra year of inflation! :tomato:

In other words, you got the deal that you signed up to. If you want to change the deal, then change your car after 1 July next!

Anyone who thinks an IS220 is an environmently friendly car is mislead. It may be significantly better than it's petrol brother, but it is not envirormently friendly. As much as I love my IS250, I think the government are right to be encouraging us not to drive them in their current format. I really wish Lexus had brought out a hybrid IS. I certainly would have bought it.

Colm

I know I got the deal I signed up for, I just wish that for once I could be surprised by some good news.

I think what annoys me is that in July I could be sitting at lights next to another car with exactly the same emmissions and paying twice the road tax that he is (does this give me right of way?). Meanwhile I will be surrounded by 05.06 and 07 4x4s that are churning out more emmissions but who are paying less road tax and will do so for the forseeable future. What started as a good idea has now become half-assed. You would think it was devised by a chimp.

No car is environmentally friendly so I'm not even going to try to win that argument.