Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Medion Computers? Help Needed.

My computer is now over 5 years old and the British Computer Museum keeps trying to exhibit it as the oldest/slowest one in existence!

We're going to invest in an apple IMac soon, but for general/alternate use I can either suffer this one still further, or get tempted by current offer of a Medion MD 8828 in Aldi!

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_4445.htm

I like the concept because I always thought that eventually computers would end up being the entertainment centre/hub for the house. (Sci-fi reader since 60s!!)

This unit has Blu-ray, Digital TV tuner, 500gb hard-drive, wireless, 2048 mb SDram.

Seems that I could sit on sofa (now that I'll be home more) and wander the airwaves at the same time.With my vast music collection accessible etc!

Has anyone any experience of Medion stuff? A friend dismissed the idea saying " yeah, until they fail", but it does have a THREE year warranty.

As a computer illiterate, all comments from you young chaps welcome (apart from the age-ist digs!!) :unsure:

Chris i've been using my Medion laptop now for nearly 2 years and never had a problem with it and quite tempted by the one your on about as it looks a good package? Mine works a treat as i'm using it at the moment and think for what they cost there a good alternative to some of the higher priced laptops about as you get a lot of up to date features the wifi on mine is great as i use it eveywhere round the house and even sometimes in the car/garden without a problem :) The only thing i find could be better is the Battery life as mine now only lasts about 90mins but again it is over 2 years old and the speakers that are built in are not the best but still quite happy with it for what i use it for :D but the home unit should be a lot better than the laptop??

i got a medion desktop from aldi about 18 months ago,along with 19" screen and an extra HD and a few other goodies.The desktop was great and still is,unfortunately the screen one day burnt out.I contacted aldi and as the 12 month guarantee had run out suggested i should contact Medion.I called Medion and i have to say they were and are the most annoying company ive ever had to deal with over the phone.I was naturally armed with a warranty which was 3 years if i remember correctly,and proceeded to explain my situation.The woman on the other told me that i was a liar and that i couldnt possibly have the model of computer i claimed to have as it hadnt been released yet and when i assured her that i have a receipt and box and computer infront of me which was purchased at Aldi-she said she was going to put the phone down cos she said she had already explained that the computer hadnt been released yet and she couldnt help me,when i asked her to explain why i had the computer infront of me,she suggested "maybe its stolen".To say i was ****** off with their attitude is an understatement.

After cooling down i rung back and guess what-the same cow answered-i put the phone down on her calling her a ****** ******!!!!etc and then managed to get through to another fool-who stated the same thing,i could hear the cow in the background prompting him.At this point i called medion head office where i spoke to a true gentleman who gave me at least 50 apologies and sent me a brand new 3 year warranty,he was high up and only spoke to him after speaking to 5 other prats.He was such a smart manager that he even called their office to find out about the incident and then promptly called me and sent me another letter of apology with my new warranty stating that action could possibly be taken against one of the employees although he couldnt go into details and said that he hopes he had restored my faith in the brand.This guy was clearly in a high up mgt position cos his employer clearly recognised his mannerism with customers and sensible approach to customer satisfaction.SO my conclusion is the computers are very good value for money and they employ absolute idiots to man the phones and absolute gentlemen to run their mgt depts.

Chris - I suggest you invest in that iMac sooner rather than later.

After a few days with it you will never buy Windows hardware again.

If you buy this Medion THEN an iMac you will be kicking yourself to kingdom come...

All PC hardware is is a box that runs software. Those Medion boxes can only run Windows (yeah yeah Linux pfff)

Macs run Mac OS X, Windows, Linux or whatever else you want. Why limit your software choice and buy a "PC"?

Macs are a different world mate.

http://www.apple.com/imac/software/

Check out the Front Row link of this page for the kind of Media Thing you are after... You can bolt on an Elgato TV Tuner also for not much dosh.

Even a second hand Intel Mac would do a better job that this Medion thing.

Anyway, you will know all this stuff soon after you get your iMac... :)

My desk top is a Medion & i aint been as lucky as the above :huh: & probably aint the same spec :question: had it from new may b about 3 year now :question: & iv had 2 have a new hard drive :angry:

But hey i neva have any luck :msn-cry:

& i totaly agree on the after sales its :tsktsk:

Chris - I suggest you invest in that iMac sooner rather than later.

After a few days with it you will never buy Windows hardware again.

If you buy this Medion THEN an iMac you will be kicking yourself to kingdom come...

All PC hardware is is a box that runs software. Those Medion boxes can only run Windows (yeah yeah Linux pfff)

Macs run Mac OS X, Windows, Linux or whatever else you want. Why limit your software choice and buy a "PC"?

Macs are a different world mate.

http://www.apple.com/imac/software/

Check out the Front Row link of this page for the kind of Media Thing you are after... You can bolt on an Elgato TV Tuner also for not much dosh.

Even a second hand Intel Mac would do a better job that this Medion thing.

Anyway, you will know all this stuff soon after you get your iMac... :)

Guess you could be right!

The Imac is a definite. Was just thinking of the 'other room' computer, for when we both want access at same time (and, as I'm giving up daytime work, this may happen more often. Then....began to wonder if I could make the computer the 'entertainment hub' as well. Can run Itunes from it, plus TV/DVD, into my 5 channel receiver, and put CD player through when I want a little extra quality. But as you say, I could set up an apple equivalent version.

After years being a hi-fi fan, it's fun seeing what is possible! Class d amps the size of paperbacks......though my speakers are still rather OTT! (Just selling a set of IMF TDL 80s on eBay...and they're not the biggest I've had!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...s=tab%3DSelling )

Thanks everyone for your input.

Looks great John!

Is this your first Mac?

Impressions?

PS I know a fair amount about Macs, but I am unaware of the "Hover Mode" you Mac is in... :) How do you do that!?

PPS Chris: those speakers are MONSTERS!

I got the laptop first through work and was so impressed I bought the iMac , there's a wall mount fitted (had to buy a vesa adaptor) on the back for the 'hover' effect.

Looks great John!

Is this your first Mac?

Impressions?

PS I know a fair amount about Macs, but I am unaware of the "Hover Mode" you Mac is in... :) How do you do that!?

PPS Chris: those speakers are MONSTERS!

Mr Tyger! Check out Avantgarde Duos ....and weep! But, yes, the TDLs are pretty impressive and more than satisfactory!!

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaac. I want one. It's not faaaaaaair!!!

Well, just check up eBay 2nd hand stuff and save? I'm leaning towards that as a 2nd system as well!!

I'm all set to buy a 24" iMac in the new year when I get my new office space - there's nowhere to put it at the moment but I get so damn impatient!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links