Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problems Starting.

dazz32

Hi hope someone has some idea what my problem maybe..have is200 sport 35,000 miles....on the odd occasion (not all the time) my car turns over but doesnt fire up..this happens either when its hot or cold ..you turn the engine over nothing happens turn it over again and it starts up but very slowly...my Battery is fine and its ok on the volt meter in the car dash and on testing with a volt meter....any help on what the problem maybe would be a big help its going to lexus dealer monday but just wanted some opinions from the LOC members before then .. :)

How do you know the battery is fine? a volt meter can show 12V on a nearly dead battery..... change the battery and it will be ok

Ok cheers rob i was thinking its the Battery.its not sluggish when i first turn it over but then do it again and its kinda slowish when it does fire up...what is the best one Battery to get i want to fit HID`S so best to get higher amp Battery ?? if i change the Battery would it set my alarm of and balls my radio up (standard lexus one) and do you change & swap over one wire at a time from old Battery to the new one?

How do you know the battery is fine? a volt meter can show 12V on a nearly dead battery..... change the battery and it will be ok

Ok cheers rob i was thinking its the Battery.its not sluggish when i first turn it over but then do it again and its kinda slowish when it does fire up...what is the best one Battery to get i want to fit HID`S so best to get higher amp Battery ?? if i change the Battery would it set my alarm of and balls my radio up (standard lexus one) and do you change & swap over one wire at a time from old Battery to the new one?

hi mate

i have just bought a new Battery,bosch s4 which is asia silver...direct fit from o.e.m & 60 amps which i run h.i.d kit.

no it wont set of alarm or mess up radio which isnt coded, but you will have to reset your fav stations

disconnent neg lead first & reconnect last onto new Battery

john

hi mate

i have just bought a new Battery,bosch s4 which is asia silver...direct fit from o.e.m & 60 amps which i run h.i.d kit.

no it wont set of alarm or mess up radio which isnt coded, but you will have to reset your fav stations

disconnent neg lead first & reconnect last onto new Battery

john

Thanx for that john appreciate the reply...would you say that maybe thats the reason why i have the problem starting that i have said about in th topic.......

Hopefully getting the HID`S from HIDdirect dno whether to go for the 6000 kelvin or 4500 k one`s :whistling: think they are HB4 bulbs??

Thanx for that john appreciate the reply...would you say that maybe thats the reason why i have the problem starting that i have said about in th topic.......

Hopefully getting the HID`S from HIDdirect dno whether to go for the 6000 kelvin or 4500 k one`s :whistling: think they are HB4 bulbs??

i dont know m8,im not a mechanic but if it was me, i personnally would follow robs advice,as i have found his advice 1st rate in the few years i have been in LOC

got my 6000k h.i.d.s from them...big improvement in light output with hint of blue

john

I am having the same problem once in a while. My battery was supposedly swapped last year (only bought it in july.) Can a battery get rubbish after that long? or do you guys think it wasnt swapped?

Get the Battery tested, a local motor factor should be able to test the battery- most don't charge for a Battery test.

Do you have any proof that the Battery was changed last year?, eg: a reciept? If you do, can you not get the Battery replaced? Most batteries come with a 3 year guarantee. How old is the car? It could be still on its original Battery. My car is 7 years old and it is still running on the original Battery.

Hi hope someone has some idea what my problem maybe..have is200 sport 35,000 miles....on the odd occasion (not all the time) my car turns over but doesnt fire up..this happens either when its hot or cold ..you turn the engine over nothing happens turn it over again and it starts up but very slowly...my battery is fine and its ok on the volt meter in the car dash and on testing with a volt meter....any help on what the problem maybe would be a big help its going to lexus dealer monday but just wanted some opinions from the LOC members before then .. :)

Dazz, my IS200 is exactly the same as yours my Battery is perfectly fine it was checked at Lexus Aberdeen, its so intermittent a fault its impossible to replicate on the spot! its been posted quite a few times on the forums and nobody seems to have got to the bottom of it, it starts perfect on the second turn of the key - if you find out what it was please let me know :winky:

Halfords do a free Battery test. Don't buy the Battery from them though. The Halfords branded calcium Battery for the Lexus is around £96. I got my Battery changed today from Lexus Bolton, £48 all in (just Battery, not fitting). Its a 250 Din, 12v, 65AH rating Battery with 3 years guarantee.

I used to have intermittent trouble with my Battery. It would start sluggishly and then once taken to be tested it was ok, very strange! Several [cold] months later and the car being stood for around several days meant Battery was shot. I took Rob's advice on this but rather than buy the Bosch Silver Asia 6AD, I opted for a Lexus OEM one, it is much cheaper. Incidentally, the Bosch one was priced around £88 from a respectable and normally reasonably priced automotive outfit - Euro Car Parts.

My Lex is starting on the turn of the key, sluggish starting problem solved - end of. :whistling:

mine did the same a couple of years ago around this time of year when it startes to get cold. ignore the volt meter in the car.

despite having a test on the Battery, which showed it was ok i changed it anyway and touch wood never had a problem since.

My does similar (a problem which i have posted ages ago and still have it from time to time, like once or twice a month). Car won't start with first turn and no matter what u do, it never starts second. But always starts the third time. Tried everything when it doesn't start the first time, tried (taking key out, swopping it round, leave it for 20 seconds, turn it for longer, wipped the key etc etc) but like i said when it doesn't start first time , theres noway i can get it to start the second time, but third starts like normal. Its not the Battery, its not sluggish etc etc. It can happen at any time, while its cold, while its been driven so its hot, warm. So the only thing i can think of is that it needs better earthing. Which probably means purchasing earthing cables from "starkys?" m8 on eBay. But i think its a unique problem and i don't think it will be solved as its hard to replicate on the spot and advice given to me is to just live with it as its not damaging anything (i hope not) and it could cost time and money changing different parts and not solve the problem.

Mine does the same every couple of hundred starts - it will just turn over for about 3-5 seconds and then either just start or when I try again it'll be fine. Just a random thought, would it have anything to do with how quick you start the car? If you just jump in and immediately turn the key all the way, would that let the fuel pump have chance to pump the fuel, or if you left it on the red lights for a second would that make a difference?

Keith

My does similar (a problem which i have posted ages ago and still have it from time to time, like once or twice a month). Car won't start with first turn and no matter what u do, it never starts second. But always starts the third time. Tried everything when it doesn't start the first time, tried (taking key out, swopping it round, leave it for 20 seconds, turn it for longer, wipped the key etc etc) but like i said when it doesn't start first time , theres noway i can get it to start the second time, but third starts like normal. Its not the battery, its not sluggish etc etc. It can happen at any time, while its cold, while its been driven so its hot, warm. So the only thing i can think of is that it needs better earthing. Which probably means purchasing earthing cables from "starkys?" m8 on ebay. But i think its a unique problem and i don't think it will be solved as its hard to replicate on the spot and advice given to me is to just live with it as its not damaging anything (i hope not) and it could cost time and money changing different parts and not solve the problem.

i know mate its a right pain in the arse lots of people have the prob but knowone has any answers for it..my cars going into lexus hatfield monday so will get them to have a look and see if they know whats the problem and will let everyone know if they find anything..

would also like to say thanks for all the replys and possible answers thanx to all LOC members. :)

Yeah thats the only thing that scares me about my car ( and the price i get charged for a service)...everytime i get in i get paranoid, thinking...will it start or not. I've also made sure all check lights are out before i start, only plug the key in when the immobaliser lights is not on (between the flashing). Crazy i know but it really does it when it likes lol. Ok m8, let me know if they find a solution as i would love to know. (confession time) I got so ****** about it once, when it didn't start first time or second time and started the third time, i just slammed my foot down on the accelerator and rev'ed it to max from cold...but hell i couldn't sleep that night lol

Yeah thats the only thing that scares me about my car ( and the price i get charged for a service)...everytime i get in i get paranoid, thinking...will it start or not. I've also made sure all check lights are out before i start, only plug the key in when the immobaliser lights is not on (between the flashing). Crazy i know but it really does it when it likes lol. Ok m8, let me know if they find a solution as i would love to know. (confession time) I got so ****** about it once, when it didn't start first time or second time and started the third time, i just slammed my foot down on the accelerator and rev'ed it to max from cold...but hell i couldn't sleep that night lol

Awwwww, of course you couldn't sleep, you were worried in case you hurt it!!!!!! Hehe

I'm not paranoid about it not starting, I trust 100% it will start, I just don't want it to happen when I'm going to look a ***** - say when I've got a new date with me, a friend or so on!

Be interesting to know any answers you get Dazz.

EDIT - why does it blank out *****??? It's a kind of chicken for gods sake

Awwwww, of course you couldn't sleep, you were worried in case you hurt it!!!!!! Hehe

I'm not paranoid about it not starting, I trust 100% it will start, I just don't want it to happen when I'm going to look a ***** - say when I've got a new date with me, a friend or so on!

OK no prob mate will let you all know..

Got the same problem with a motorhome! You have to wait till the fuel pump has everything up to pressure. Turn the key but not to start it and you can hear the fuel build up pressure until the fuel pump switches off - then start it - works every time.

Had the same with my previous car - normally aspirated Z, and it was most likly caused by a non-return valve in the fuel line failing (assuming there was one)... I never fixed it as the above method always worked...

Good luck

jack

I've found that flooring it doesnt help. I'm assuming that this is the electronic throttle again. The problem i have is only 1 in 100 starts and generally when its bloody cold/wet.

Ed

a small tip for starting probs is to depress and then release the accelerator pedal before u start the car - with acc lights on of course

Thanx for that small tip Rob seems to work a treat so far....anyway merry xmas n have a good one! :hehe:

Well just a quick update about problems starting....well taken to lexus dealership and there answer was as follows....

they know that there is a problem with the occasional probs in starting with the is200...... the is 300 had the same prob from a certain year its to do with the ecu not telling the engine to fire ( The IS300 had a software update for them but the IS200 hasnt got one) they said... I.E like a few have said on here has to wait for the fuel pump to get up to presure depressing and then realeasing the accelerator will help sort the problem out....

So far i have tried it like rob (LOC) and lexus said and so far so good no probs in starting!

OH by the way merry xmas to you all.! :hehe: