Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I bought my Mk1 cos I needed a car and it was available but I always thought the Mk2 looked better in pics - never knowingly saw one with mine own eyes. Now I just saw one, it doesn't! It looks much smaller than mine, so much so I had to check the badge - I thought it was an IS200.

Mk2 is actually bigger tho isn't it? I know now I'll stop hankering, Mk1 has more road presence, broad at the hip!

Unless I saw a mk3, not going out now it;s too cold...

i take you do not live in england then . i agree mk1 a far better looking car but then it was styled by the best , mk2 always makes me think they went a bit of track with the design and i have never warmed to it . mk3 is a corker and i would love one ,seems to have the same lines as the mk1 but more of a modern look .saying that though the mk2 is a much better drive and the inside is a 1000 times better that the mk1 .

I do live in england! I only saw the Mk2 in pics before, in the flesh I'm not keen, not knowlingly seen a mk3 yet.

I like the inside of the mk1, don't like the dials in the pics of the mk2 i've seen, but i need to see for myself I think. I'm full of a cold and on pain killers for some other thing so I'm a bit incoherent at the mo - sorry!

Stella doesn't count of course...

It was always the arse end of the MK2 that I couldn't get on with. If I could have the front of a MK2 and the rear of the MK1, that would be a fine looking car IMO. As I can't, overall I think the Mk1 has it over the Mk2 and would agree does seem to have a much better presence. I think the 10" rear rims make all the difference too, but maybe I am biased :shifty:

I said the same things when I had the Mk1.

But now I have the Mk2 it is so much better and it grows on you real fast, when I see a Mk1 it seems so outdated to me now. :tomato: But now Im not sure about the Mk3. :unsure:

Mk1 GS does look better not only in our eyes, but in the motoring press too. Mk1 was styled by Giugiaro! Mk2 styling was done by Lexus themselves!

Broad at the hip? The Mk2 might be shorter, but it's actually 5mm wider than the Mk1! lol

Only the Battery, the basic front suspension components and the engine crankshaft are carried over from the Mk1.

The boot is bigger than the Mk1, the interior offers more headroom and legroom, despite being 6 inches shorter.

The GS models feature dual air bags that deploy with less force than their predecessors to help prevent air-bag injuries, particularly to small women who sit close to the steering wheel. (Useful in case your missus drives it!)

The HID lights are good to have, and the standard VSC can help prevent spins!

Oh, and some people reckon the Mk2 handles better than the Mk1.

Having said all of that, the Mk1 does look WAY nicer than any Mk2. :unsure:

I can't argue with those comments, but still think in terms of looks that the mk 1 looks smoother and more impressive even though the newer models have a lot of improvements in other respects. The latest models seem to have similar sweeping lines to the lines of the mk 1.

My two penneth...

I have to agree that the MKI does look better externally... sort of, dunno, hard to describe but lets say smoother? or more sleek? The MKII is a bit Squarer, or boxy.. not ugly though, but not the prettiest car on the planet, but then I didn't buy it for it's looks.

not seen the inside of a MKI other than pics, but again, the MKII is probably better, more modern.

Can't say anything regarding driving, as I haven't been in a MKI

Generally, things improve on later models, but not everything, sometimes the older models have things that should have been carried over to the newer ones..

John

Have to agree with Maneesh the MKI looks better than the MKII.

I parked my MKII next to a similar coloured MKI the other day, and on speaking to the owner he has had his from new and its only done 12,000. Mines on 153,000.

I do miss the looks of my MKI, but enjoy drivinh my MKII, can't wait get to get a MKIII.

• 3 weeks later...
In my opinion:

Mk3 - Hmm Nice, but a classic?

I am lucky to have had a couple of Mark IIs [too bulbous for my liking] and now have a Mark 3, which is nearly three years old now.

I never thought Mark II looked good. I feel Mark 3 was a real improvement in looks, but still looks heavy from rear three quarter view