Disaster

cho

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess that's just another kick in the nuts then...

Did not mean to do that :crybaby: ..............really winds me up that people are being sold stuff with the promise of big power gains when the reality is the TTE supercharger will not give more than 250 bhp period.

For what you paid TDI-PLC for these mods..........you could have had my turbo kit fitted with 255 bhp and shed loads of torque............and the rods would have been kept inside the block.

I guess I will wait and see what the independent inspection reveals. It may have nothing to do with TDI so I just want to keep things neutral for now guys, I really appreciate your comments and support.

I guess I will wait and see what the independent inspection reveals. It may have nothing to do with TDI so I just want to keep things neutral for now guys, I really appreciate your comments and support.

Wise words.

Important to get data from the mapping runs as that will tell the engineers if the parameters the engine was running to were correct.

Your household insurance may be able to help you (mine did in a similair situation) as well.

Finally get it remapped ASAP when you get the engine rebuilt there are many HKS power writers who can do this for you www.hks-europe.com has them listed for you.

Abbey are the daddies IMHO.

Hope you get it all sorted and back on the road at no/minimal cost

no member here has the qualifications or ability to assess what damage has occured and even less ability to assess why it has occured

i would suggest that we all wait for the suitably qualified assessment to be carried out, and leave guesswork and the witch hunts out of this topic

commiserations Cho, lets hope for a good outcome of this disaster

sorry for your troubles Cho hope it all works out, but i agree with Bazza, speculation at this early stage may hinder a successful outcome.... wait for the engineers report and then see what Tdi will do for you, they have always come across as a fair company... give them a chance :) just my two cents :blush:

Whilst cruising down the motorway I have had a rod snap and now have a slightly larger than a golf ball size hole in my engine.

Sorry to hear that, that is one of the reason why I am hesitating to go for the stage 1 pulley.

I did have problems with the idling and engine management light was permenantly on shortly after collecting the car. Also the trac contol light was flashing on and off. I informed TDI of this but I was told there was nothing to worry about.
I had the stage 1 pulley, katana manifold, katana intercooler, larger injectors, FCon V-pro, Camcon, closed loop feedback system, LCP

Mine does it aswell, the idle should be solved by the closed loop feedback system. The engine light is because of the catalyst removal. The flashing TRC appears when you get near the rev limiter. There is no risk involved in it as far as I know, my car has done about 15k miles since all fitted and it is still running

I'm not sure what boost it was running but it should have been about .5 bar

I am running 0.45 with the standard pulley. When the stage 1 was first fitted, it produced 0.65 with the Katana intercooler

And yes, Lee's produces nearly as much power as ours with an almost standard TTE supercharger

Whilst cruising down the motorway I have had a rod snap and now have a slightly larger than a golf ball size hole in my engine.

Sorry to hear that, that is one of the reason why I am hesitating to go for the stage 1 pulley.

I did have problems with the idling and engine management light was permenantly on shortly after collecting the car. Also the trac contol light was flashing on and off. I informed TDI of this but I was told there was nothing to worry about.
I had the stage 1 pulley, katana manifold, katana intercooler, larger injectors, FCon V-pro, Camcon, closed loop feedback system, LCP

Mine does it aswell, the idle should be solved by the closed loop feedback system. The engine light is because of the catalyst removal. The flashing TRC appears when you get near the rev limiter. There is no risk involved in it as far as I know, my car has done about 15k miles since all fitted and it is still running

I am running 0.45 with the standard pulley. When the stage 1 was first fitted, it produced 0.65 with the Katana intercooler

And yes, Lee's produces nearly as much power as ours with an almost standard TTE supercharger

so am i to believe that a flashing TRC and engine mgt light on-is regarded as ok?thats ridiculous and i dont buy it,can you tell me why when you stick a diagnostic machine in the car-it comes up with a list of faults?

Hi guys, been a long time since I have been on the forum and I come with tidings of woe. I recently had the stage 1 s/c upgrade done on my car at TDI and after having done less than 1000 miles have had catastrophic engine failure. Whilst cruising down the motorway I have had a rod snap and now have a slightly larger than a golf ball size hole in my engine. Suffice to say that my engine is dead. I just spent in the region of 5.5k for this upgrade and I am devestated. :crybaby:

Sorry to here this cho, feel for you mate. Hope you get it all sorted soon.

If i can be of any help ? just ask :D

Mine is running just over 0.5 boost, and all is well at the min :blink:

Ps. Yemgi, do you have boost gauge fitted :question: standard TTE should only be 0.3 or just over.

i only have one question.........
Whilst cruising down the motorway I have had a rod snap :crybaby:

Cruising...... :question:

or spirited driving

Mat I had 2 passengers and a car full to the brim with luggage. I was going at speed but I have hit faster speeds without the supercharger!

so am i to believe that a flashing TRC and engine mgt light on-is regarded as ok?thats ridiculous and i dont buy it,can you tell me why when you stick a diagnostic machine in the car-it comes up with a list of faults?

Raj, when your car was fitted with this stuff, your light came on for a reason if you remember :question:

It was not mapped correct, was putting shed loads of fuel into your engine and the 02 sensors/cat working overtime to cope with the extra fuel.

Morning Cho,

Devastated to read this - saw the topic title and was gutted :(

I do hope you manage to resolve things as quickly and as smoothly as possible - and that yo're back on the road in that gorgeous IS of yours as soon as possible!

One way or another, all will be sorted ;)

All the best chap,

Jamie

Thanks mate, the whole thing has really dented my confidence in the tuning scene but I only hope that I can afford to get her back on the road.

Sorry to hear the news mate. not good.

There has been a lot of debate on here regarding "safe" levels of boost for the 1G-FE. IMHO there is no such thing.

When engine components are designed the stresses are calculated and the minimum size for the component is worked out to take the design stress. A "margin of safety" is added to allow for inconsistent material quality, manufacturing tolerences and possible errors in the design calculations etc. This ensures that all manufactured, in this case con-rods, will meet the minimum strength required for the engine. Given all the variances in manufacture not all con-rods will be the same strength, some will be at the low end, most in the middle and some at the high end but all capable of taking the design stress. The distribution will be as a Standard Deviation curve.

When you tune an engine you are "eating into" that margin of safety so if you happen to have one of the 0.1% of con-rods that are at the low strength end of the scale but capable of taking 150 Bhp and then add 33% more stress to it, it will break. No ones fault just a case of bad luck.

p.s not ment to be preaching and I do hope that you get sorted.

Edited by MacRS200

Morning Cho,

I do hope you manage to resolve things as quickly and as smoothly as possible - and that yo're back on the road in that gorgeous IS of yours as soon as possible!

All the best chap,

Jamie

Thanks mate, the whole thing has really dented my confidence in the tuning scene but I only hope that I can afford to get her back on the road.

Looks like a change of engine to sort :duh:

Morning Cho,

All the best chap,

Jamie

Tuned or un-tuned it doesn't matter at the end of the day mate ;) Don't feel pressured to fill the hole in the bay with a tuned block. Just get your car sorted :)

All the best mate,

Jamie

Very sorry to hear about this Cho. I hope you get you car back on the road with the minimum of cost.

The car looked fantastic @ the TDi meet.

It does sound like the £££'s/Horsepower ratio is very poor for this upgrade,considering what Lee's car puts out.

I hope the inspection is not in anyway inconclusive, & totally clears up what happend & why.

even if it was found to be a fault of the installer ( and im not saying it was) don't people have to sign a disclaimer to say if anything goes wrong then they are not liable???

Sounds to me like a very easy cop out though Rob. This would allow anybody to really mess up your car with no possibility of recompense.

Mine is running just over 0.5 boost, and all is well at the min :blink:

standard TTE should only be 0.3 or just over.

After reading this I am a bit worried now, as mine has an HKS boost Gauge fitted,

it goes to about 0.35 boost accelerating, but peaks at just over 0.5 when the Auto box changes.

(there is a peak recall button)

The only mods on my car compared to the standard TTE set up are

Denso iridium Plugs (IK22's)

K&N panel filter

& the Pro-Lex stainless manifold.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links