Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disaster

cho

even if it was found to be a fault of the installer ( and im not saying it was) don't people have to sign a disclaimer to say if anything goes wrong then they are not liable???

Sounds to me like a very easy cop out though Rob. This would allow anybody to really mess up your car with no possibility of recompense.

yes it does - i seem to remember quite a long discussion about this in the past - think the thread was blocked due to alleged " tdi bashing" :shutit:

the SC makes about .35 bar anyway so no worries there - as there are not so many autos with the sc about ( on this forum anyway) then im not really sure about the raise in boost pressure but i find it surprising as at even max rpm the max is norm 0.35.

where have u got the gauge plummed into?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By the way stav the car looks great

Thanks very much mate.

yes it does - i seem to remember quite a long discussion about this in the past - think the thread was blocked due to alleged " tdi bashing" :shutit:

the SC makes about .35 bar anyway so no worries there - as there are not so many autos with the sc about ( on this forum anyway) then im not really sure about the raise in boost pressure but i find it surprising as at even max rpm the max is norm 0.35.

where have u got the gauge plummed into?

When woz mentioned this to me at TDi a thought it was a tad strange.

I thought maybe the Gauege sender needs calibrating? I calibrated my boost gauge at work to check it.

And Yemgi, your reading seem very high. surely the boost cannot really go any higher as the engine cant go any faster so how can the boost go up? thats my understanding of it anyway, i may be wrong.

But i also dont like the sound of lights being on the dash, if this is what you have to have then i think i'll stop looking into the bigger pulley, it just doesn't seem right.

Just my two cents anyway.

Stav

Mine does it aswell, the idle should be solved by the closed loop feedback system. The engine light is because of the catalyst removal. The flashing TRC appears when you get near the rev limiter. There is no risk involved in it as far as I know, my car has done about 15k miles since all fitted and it is still running

Surely the idle should be fixed then as he has this?

Also he still has the cat as stated on WIM so the engine light shouldnt be up either?

Stav

Wozza,

it seemed when i looked at it to be plummed into the side of the throttle as normal.

iy you open up the little black box that the pipe goes into there will be a little pot to turn and calibrate it, as the box will recieve the pressure signal and send a mA signal to the control box that goes to the gauge.

Stav

so am i to believe that a flashing TRC and engine mgt light on-is regarded as ok?thats ridiculous and i dont buy it,can you tell me why when you stick a diagnostic machine in the car-it comes up with a list of faults?

Yes, all is managed by the HKS FCON but the standard ECU still has inputs from the sensors and what they show is out of range compared to the standard map so engine management light comes on

Ps. Yemgi, do you have boost gauge fitted :question: standard TTE should only be 0.3 or just over.
Not yet but intake boost is available from the FCON and was 0.3 with the standard setup, is 0.45 with the Katana intercooler and has been 0.65 with the Katana intercooler and the stage 1 pulley

Also he still has the cat as stated on WIM so the engine light shouldnt be up either?

Stav

Yes for the idle. The Katana manifold has no cats though and if the car is mapped has mine, it is running slightly rich to be safer

so am i to believe that a flashing TRC and engine mgt light on-is regarded as ok?thats ridiculous and i dont buy it,can you tell me why when you stick a diagnostic machine in the car-it comes up with a list of faults?

Yes, all is managed by the HKS FCON but the standard ECU still has inputs from the sensors and what they show is out of range compared to the standard map so engine management light comes on

Ps. Yemgi, do you have boost gauge fitted :question: standard TTE should only be 0.3 or just over.
Not yet but intake boost is available from the FCON and was 0.3 with the standard setup, is 0.45 with the Katana intercooler and has been 0.65 with the Katana intercooler and the stage 1 pulley

Stav

Yes for the idle. The Katana manifold has no cats though and if the car is mapped has mine, it is running slightly rich to be safer

Yemgi, has your car had to pass any sort of MOT ? If all the cars are running rich with the Fcon fitted are they passing MOT :question:

The reason the E/M/light comes on, is that the car is running rich and the 02 sensors will pick this up, then tell the standard ECU, then light comes on, if it was mapped correctly this would not happen as the 02 sensors would pick up the right AFR, thus no e/m/light.

When this was happening to Raj's car, He was told that the sensor was the problem. After fitting to a diagnostic machine, he seen with his own eyes that the sensor was working, even changed for a known working one, and same problem, to much fuel due to not being mapped correctly

My car has to pass MOT in March. It could not pass even with just a standard supercharger, CO emissions were to high. Fortunately in France there are other means to get it :P

here is my OBD-II report

My car has to pass MOT in March. It could not pass even with just a standard supercharger, CO emissions were to high. Fortunately in France there are other means to get it :P

here is my OBD-II report

Firstly Cho,id like to say im absolutely devastated for you bud and that it is 100% genuine.I cant help but feel that you are a complete innocent party in all this,being a paying customer-just as I and many others are.Its the worst time of year to be experiencing difficulty with our beloved motors and its even worst for you as you have lost total usage of your pride and joy,its obvious you are an enthusiast that loves his car.I really do hope this situation is resolved amicably as it was when my car had issues with the same company-I must say they acted very fairly and did resolve it to my satisfaction and the clubs satisfaction.I would like to believe that a full vehicle report could pinpoint the issue and the cause of your problems-however after speaking to an engineer that is building an engine for me at the moment-without certain technical info,it may prove to be impossible to find the offending article or cause.I appreciate that you may feel really depressed at the moment and all i can say is chin up mate,just as many of my friends and well wishers on LOC did when i was having my problems,and hope you understand that this is absolutely genuine,because you remind me of myself a while back,as we are all just regular 9-5 guys that love our cars.( i had little knowledge then and im afraid to admit very little now-but because of this forum I was lucky enough to be guided and helped very well-which i feel helped resolve the issue)

I was going to send you a PM but as I dont know you and havent had the pleasure of meeting you at any point I decided its best to just write it in your thread-hope you dont mind.I appreciate all cars are different and its all he said,she said,this however was the situation I was in and I thought you may like to know about it-considering your car has all the same parts fitted as mine did.

My car was fitted with the TTE sc ,it passed MOT no probs and as usual it never missed a beat,as soon as I had the hks v-pro,injectors,camcon,mapping etc fitted by tdi-my car was over fuelling and when i ran out of fuel on the A50-the RAC blokey put in his diag machine and i had a list of faults,O2 sensor and cats.The car wasnt running correctly and the car wanted to cut out all the time,infact it did a few times.When it was taken to charlesworth,Steve who does MOTs all day long-clearly told me it would NEVER pass under these circumstances.The car was diagnosed as being mapped poorly by three seperate garages(the parts were the best a car could get-but the mapping was out,Lexus also diagnosed poor mapping.I had trc flashing and a permanent engine MGT light on.It was a very scary experience as the car never felt right and after having multiple experts tell me there was something majorly wrong-it does start to make one think if all is well.After multiple trips to TDi i decided to end the project and take all the stuff off and return it to them-in my case the refund was swift and I have to say thanks again to all parties involved.I appreciate you are in slightly deeper than i was,in that your car has suffered from a complete failure-but i do want you to understand that you are supported by the members on here and many will be happy to help ,not just in advice but in any way they can-i know this as i have many friends within LOC that have travelled many miles to help me,taking time out of their schedule and really being 100% helpful.If there is anything I can do to help at this stage then dont be afraid to ask-my tech knowledge is not great but I can help in many other ways.Like i said earlier chin up-my confidence was shattered when i had my issues and can completely understand your mood at this point-try not to be put off for life tho,as its a great hobbie and past time and I think one day your car will be exactly where you want it to be,in the 250hp range.Best of luck pal.

here is my OBD-II report

Ok you can get yours sorted :D

What about the others running the FCON, How you getting through the MOT with the car running so rich :question:

Quote from TDi in wim

Hello Charndrit,

I really am very sorry to hear about this. I can understand that you must be very disappointed.

The IG-FE connecting rod fragility issue is well known and documented. This is the first time we have heard of one of our stage 1 upgrades suffering from this issue, but we do know of engines with significantly less torque than yours that have suffered the same fate, and engines with significantly more torque than yours that have been fine.

Generally speaking, I think it's important to understand that even a standard car will wear out and can brake components, and that elevating the performance of the engine and/or the car will inevitably increase the stresses and reduce the life expectancies, especially if used hard. Some cars and/or engines are much more capable of dealing with increased stresses without further supportive actions than others. There is no "risk free" way of modifying cars, but there are risk reduction proceedures that can be followed.

Generally speaking, when deciding whether or not to undertake any modifications, and choosing who to use, I find that the following processes are worthy of consideration:

1. Ask yourself whether you are prepared to accept the risk of any possible problems that may be encountered.

2. Identify the best possible components.

3. Identify an installer that is competant and professional. I would also advise conducting a credit check on the prospective candidates in case they make a mistake which they are expected to pay for but are without substance.

As I mentioned to you by phone on Saturday, I am as confident as I can be (without an inspection) that the failure is not due to anything that we have done wrong, and that if you have any doubt whatsover about that, that you should seek to have a report done by a suitably qualified independant engineer.

I also confirm our conversation that we could offer you a sympathetic rate to carry out the repairs if you want us to.

If it becomes clear that we have done something wrong that has caused this failure, I can confirm that we are legally and morally liable to repair it free of charge, at the very least.

At this stage it may be wise to consider your possible paths for the engine, so if I may, I have set out the following suggestions for your consideration, although there may be more:

Lowest Cost and Minimal Future Risk

Obtain a used engine and remove the supercharger and all of the high performance equipment, and revert back to the standard specification.

Minimal Cost and Higher Risk

Obtain a used engine and reassemble with the supercharger and other high performance equipment. This is higher risk because you won't know how good the used engine is or how long it will last.

Higher Cost and Lower Risk

Obtain a new engine from Lexus and reassemble with the supercharger and other high performance equipment.

Highest Cost and Lowest Risk

Rebuild the engine using uprated parts and reassemble with the supercharger and other high performance equipment.

I hope the above suggestions are of some value.

Once again, I would like to extend my sympathies to you.

Please let me know privately how you get on or if you would like our help.

With kind regards

Mark Catchpole

Quote from TDi in wim

Hello Charndrit,

I really am very sorry to hear about this. I can understand that you must be very disappointed.

The IG-FE connecting rod fragility issue is well known and documented. This is the first time we have heard of one of our stage 1 upgrades suffering from this issue, but we do know of engines with significantly less torque than yours that have suffered the same fate, and engines with significantly more torque than yours that have been fine.

Generally speaking, I think it's important to understand that even a standard car will wear out and can brake components, and that elevating the performance of the engine and/or the car will inevitably increase the stresses and reduce the life expectancies, especially if used hard. Some cars and/or engines are much more capable of dealing with increased stresses without further supportive actions than others. There is no "risk free" way of modifying cars, but there are risk reduction proceedures that can be followed.

Generally speaking, when deciding whether or not to undertake any modifications, and choosing who to use, I find that the following processes are worthy of consideration:

1. Ask yourself whether you are prepared to accept the risk of any possible problems that may be encountered.

2. Identify the best possible components.

3. Identify an installer that is competant and professional. I would also advise conducting a credit check on the prospective candidates in case they make a mistake which they are expected to pay for but are without substance.

As I mentioned to you by phone on Saturday, I am as confident as I can be (without an inspection) that the failure is not due to anything that we have done wrong, and that if you have any doubt whatsover about that, that you should seek to have a report done by a suitably qualified independant engineer.

I also confirm our conversation that we could offer you a sympathetic rate to carry out the repairs if you want us to.

If it becomes clear that we have done something wrong that has caused this failure, I can confirm that we are legally and morally liable to repair it free of charge, at the very least.

At this stage it may be wise to consider your possible paths for the engine, so if I may, I have set out the following suggestions for your consideration, although there may be more:

Lowest Cost and Minimal Future Risk

Obtain a used engine and remove the supercharger and all of the high performance equipment, and revert back to the standard specification.

Minimal Cost and Higher Risk

Obtain a used engine and reassemble with the supercharger and other high performance equipment. This is higher risk because you won't know how good the used engine is or how long it will last.

Higher Cost and Lower Risk

Obtain a new engine from Lexus and reassemble with the supercharger and other high performance equipment.

Highest Cost and Lowest Risk

Rebuild the engine using uprated parts and reassemble with the supercharger and other high performance equipment.

I hope the above suggestions are of some value.

Once again, I would like to extend my sympathies to you.

Please let me know privately how you get on or if you would like our help.

With kind regards

Mark Catchpole

So when Cho gets the car running again, is Mr Mark Catchpole going to take the parts back that dont work, re-eng/man/light and give Cho his money back, like he did with Raj.

As for conducting a credit check on the prospective candidates !!!!!!!! i think he means CCJ's against prospective candidates :winky:

Ps. i would have posted on WIM, but that silent removal comes to mind :D

It's comforting to here that TDI will stand by there clients and I would like to thank him for these reassuring comments

Agreed..... Asking for an independent report is an honorable step in the right direction.

:offtopic: Gord if you have a complaint about how i run wim/forum please pm me.

Not been around much (out the UK), so just been catching up on this thread.

I would like to add my sympathies and hope you can get back on the road asap.

PS Can TDI not post on LOC anymore? I know they left as a Trader, but are they not still just normal LOC members with the ability to post? Just seems abit unfair of having Wheels-in-motion stuck in the middle as the "voice of TDI"

Not been around much (out the UK), so just been catching up on this thread.

I would like to add my sympathies and hope you can get back on the road asap.

PS Can TDI not post on LOC anymore? I know they left as a Trader, but are they not still just normal LOC members with the ability to post? Just seems abit unfair of having Wheels-in-motion stuck in the middle as the "voice of TDI"

Hi Anees.... TDi can post without restraint but won't do so here for various reasons.

Cho's issue was also posted in wim and i felt it was important for LOC members to capture the full picture including TDi's reply..

My position is voluntary, i'm not stuck in the middle.... If the post in wim seems valuable to LOC then i will transport it.... If not, not :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links