Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Mk4 1998 Problems?

LOOKING TO GO AND TEST DRIVE A LS400 MK4 98 IN THE MORNING......WHAT DO I LOOK OUT FOR? ANY POTENTIAL PROBLEM AREAS I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THAT COULD COST BE ALOT OF MONEY? I HADE A MK2 FOR 8YEARS SO I KNOW HOW RELIABLE THEY ARE...BUT THERE MUST BE SOME LITTLE PROBLEMS OR DEFECTS IN THAT MODEL?

Leaking boot seals.....how bad can it be that this is the only thing I can think of!!? Trying NOT to accelerate too hard and wheelspin is the daily problem!! Cruise, enjoying what some consider to be the pinnacle of the LS range. It got a bit less wafty later?

I love mine (well, apart from it looking bland, but then, I'm a Citroen DS fan!!)

Good luck. You'll love it. Hopefully low-ish miles etc and you know to check for cam-belt etc servicing?

Trying NOT to accelerate too hard and wheelspin is the daily problem!!

Wheelspin in a Mk 4? Doesn't the traction control do its job properly?

The only thing I really don't like about my MkIII is the inadvertent 'zzzzzzppp' from your rear end (ooh-er, Mrs) as you try to pull away in winter weather. Even overtaking at 30mph can generate more 'zzzzzzzpp' than overtaking - can be dangerous.

Hi,

The Mk 4 is generally perceived to be the best of all the 400 series, and should be, considering that there was a decade of evolution behind it. I looked at seven or eight Mk 4s before buying mine just on a year ago. I was more interested in condition and a comprehensive service history than low mileage. Mine had about 90k on it when purchased, and now has 105k. The front suspension ball joints were replaced on the driver's side just before I bought it, and there is some very minor slack in the rear suspension rubbers, but not enough to affect the handling or fail the MOT. All suspension work is expensive, particularly at main dealers.

I think that the problems concerning lcd displays and the dashboard had been largely resolved by 1998 - I certainly haven't seen a Mk 4 with those problems. I have seen two Mk 4s with Satnav display problems - the touchscreen is not only for the Satnav, but controls the heating and audio as well. Satnav problems can be horrendously expensive to repair. Radio antenae still tend to fail like the earlier 400s.

Other than suspension related problems, the bonnet struts are nearly always too weak to hold up the bonnet, and it pays to keep the water drainage channels around the bootlid clean to prevent ingress of water into the boot. Lexus never really got on top of the corrosion problem with their alloy wheels, and it is still very common to see corroded alloys on the Mk 4. 17 inch alloys with about 10 holes means that you probably have the dynamic handling pack fitted - standard wheels are 16 inch with 5 holes.

Brakes are routine service items, and the pads do have to do a lot of work to stop 2 tons of motor car from high speeds. Warped discs are not uncommon following high speed stops, especially if you keep your foot on the brake pedal when stationary with hot discs.

The Mk 4 has the vvti engine, which is an interference engine. It is of paramount importance that the camshaft belt is changed at 63k intervals, otherwise you will have a very expensive pile of scrap metal. Most owners seem to recommend changing the idlers, tensioner and water pump at the 126k belt change, while the front of the engine is dismantled.

Other than fuel (lots of), my car has cost me the price of a number plate lamp during the last year. I can get 33mpg on the motorway at a steady 70, but this drops to about 24mpg around town. Overall I average about 450 miles and 28mpg to the tankful, which I find pretty good for the size of car.

Overall, very reliable cars.

A very happy new year to one and all,

Alan

I was more interested in condition and a comprehensive service history than low mileage.

Sound advice, the number of times I have tried to emphasize this point that on big cars you want young with higher mileage, than old with lower mileage. A 10 year old 50k town pottered big bruiser will have more brake, suspension, exhaust and transmission wear compared to a nice looked-after 5 year old 100k motorway cruiser.

I was more interested in condition and a comprehensive service history than low mileage.

Sound advice, the number of times I have tried to emphasize this point that on big cars you want young with higher mileage, than old with lower mileage. A 10 year old 50k town pottered big bruiser will have more brake, suspension, exhaust and transmission wear compared to a nice looked-after 5 year old 100k motorway cruiser.

So mine must be even BETTER? Only used on long journeys, but only 77K miles?

Oh, and, about Wheelspin.....yes, the traction control DOES work, but you still get a little spin before it clicks in. T-Control is why I switched from Ser 3 to a Ser 4, mainly.

WENT TO SEE IT YESTERDAY...A 132MILE TRIP.....IT WAS A LOVELY CAR AND THE RIDE WAS PERFECT. HOWEVER IT HAD FILLER ON THE FRONT BUMPER LIP....THE BONNET STRUTS WERE FAILING TO HOLD THE BONNET UP, THE jack WAS MISSING AND THE SIDE LIGHT HAD A CRACK. I STIL LOVED THE LOOK OF THE CAR AND THE PRICE I HAGGLED DOWN CONSIDERABLY TO £3000....I WAS ABOUT TO BUY IT. THEN AT THE LAST MINUTE REALISED THE EXHAUST WAS BLOWING!

SO GOT DOWN AND HAD A LOOK AND IT WAS COMING FROM THE CENTER AND NEAR THE ENGINE....IT WAAS QUITE LOUD AND THEN I KNEW IT WAS TOO RISKY TO BUY AS MY THOUGHT WAS IT COULD BE THE MANIFOLD? IT WAS WEIRD BECAUSE I COULDNT HERE IT WHEN I FIRST STARTED IT UP! ANYWAY IM STILL LOOKING FOR A MK4!

You get what you pay for? Certainly you can wait for better one! I always thought the exhausts were stainless! Will be worried about mine now! (where's that Gun gum?And a split coke can......)

I'm sure there will be bargains about, now that the 430 is a few years old and 460 is out. Doesn't stop car being definitely worth getting though.

When buying cars with some issues you can sometimes take a bet. A perfect history car with perfect mileage usually costs a lot of money and can also suddenly have a mayor technical issue that will cost a lot of money. A good example in the Netherlands. A 1998 LS400 at a dealer costs EUR 18.000 (GBP 12.000) whereas my 1998 LS400, with only one key when I got it / fungus in the boot / missing navigation manual / some scratches (normal after 10 years) cost me my 1999 IS200, which I traded in with worn suspension and some other serious wear (with 190.000 KM / 118.000 Miles).

Obviously a 1999 IS200 V6 is easier to sell for a dealer than a 1998 LS400.

Anyway, with the spread in price I have some reserve. :whistling:

And both cars are fun but obviously the space, luxury and performance of a LS400 surpass an IS200.

Peter,

I'm stunned to see the prices they are selling for in the Netherlands.

The equivalent vehicle in the UK would have cost about £50k when new and is now worth between £3.5 and £6k depending on mileage, condition etc. etc. Either way, there is a lot of difference!!!

Big thirsty V8s are fast going out of favour here and will probably be priced off the road 5 years from now so we need to enjoy them whilst we can!

The catalogue price at the time, with authentic navigation system, was NLG 200.000 / EUR 90.000 / GBP 60.000 so I guess cars are indeed cheaper in the UK. Also, second hand cars in the Netherlands still fetch quite high prices, regardless of engine size. Not many LS400's were sold in the period 1989 - 2003 here so I guess that also has an impact.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links