Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tropical Fish Tank

shake

Hi,

I really want a fish tank, and am really close to just buying one and going through all the steps and in a month sticking some fish in it,(once its cycled)

im totally new to this, but have been reading up loads on how to care etc..

anyone got advice on a tank? i want max 4-5 small tropical fish. as for the tank it needs to be big enough for the fish, but small enough to look after.

im currently thinking of a Tetra tank which seems about the right size CLICK ME

As for fish, apart from neon tetras, can anyone suggest other fish?

thanks!

(hmm... forget tv headrests... fish in headrests? LOL)

Definately go for the largest tank that you can afford/accomodate as this does make life easier and the tank conditions will tend to stay more stable. The larger the volume of water, the less it can be swayed quickly by such things as a failing heater etc.

For a tank that is 60 litres, just under 14 gallons, you can aim for the general rule of thumb (only applies to small fish) of 1" of fish per gallon. This would take into account the full grown size of the fish, not the size they are from the shop. You can nudge it a bit higher if you up the water changes a bit to compensate. There are a shed load of little fish that most aquarium shops carry as well as neon tetras. Such as glowlight tetras, Black neon tetras, whitecloud mountain minnows, guppys,silver tip tetras, harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs, the list can go on for ever almost. Stay away from things like tiger barbs, buenos aires tetra, flame tetras as they tend to get slightly larger and can be a bit nippy. You might also want to consider something that scavenges around the bottom. Corydoras catfish are good for this, but they are happier in small groups rather than singly. Other candidates for small tanks would be Otocinclus affinis (commonly called an oto catfish). They are great little work horses which should also help keep any algae under control. I wouldn't add them straight away as they are a bit sensitive to new tank set ups, and of course a brand new tank won't have much algae for them to eat.

I do have a tank for sale that is true but it's my step sisters.

So unfrotunately i cant help with the looking after part although the tank does come with a book for that king of stuff plus everthing you need to start off with.

If you think you may be interested let me know fella.

I've also got a load of aquarium/pond stuff for sale on eBay at the moment (see my post in the buy and sell forum), although most of it is pick up only which might count them out. More stuff like heaters, lights will be listed next weekend.

LOL

I ordered the tetra 60L tank, with gravel and a ship!!

im like an excited kid now, cant wait for it to arrive!!

thanks for the advice guys/ladies!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links