Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

N95 Sat Nav

Ellz

Hey guys mate rang me the other day and he had found a piece of garmin software to go onto the Nokia N95. Went round last night and loaded it on. Took ages as have to keep going from phone to computer to change the settings as it trys to work on a remote gps antenna but theres a way to get around it. eventually got it all up and running.

My mate get GPS singal in his room which is really good but my phone couldnt find it.

It does all the speaking etc and re routes you if you miss a turning its very good, just like the garmins you buy in the shops which where i work have been more reliable and better selling than the tom toms.

It can do traffic as well but not 100% sure if it need subscription and if it will work through the FM receive if plugged in. I'll try and get some shots up later on.

does it charge while connected to the GPS signal? or does the mobile service provider charge to run the application?

people could send you their sd cards for the phone with a self addressed envelope and you could load it on and send it back :whistling:

It just uses the GPS unit inside the phone no charge at all. Thats the problem you need to change the settings on the phone when its installed via a computer. My mate found it and worked it out using some phone forums so he could write a walk through if anyone wants it.

I'll take with him later to see when he could get a write up done by. We're both of snowboarding early this friday morning so might have to do it when we get back.

I'll give it ago when im in france though to check its got europe on it :D

does it charge while connected to the GPS signal? or does the mobile service provider charge to run the application?

people could send you their sd cards for the phone with a self addressed envelope and you could load it on and send it back :whistling:

It just uses the GPS unit inside the phone no charge at all. Thats the problem you need to change the settings on the phone when its installed via a computer. My mate found it and worked it out using some phone forums so he could write a walk through if anyone wants it.

no charge would be great... was told by a guy in carphone warehouse of a customer coming in to the shop fuming after receiving a bill for 1600 quid, he used the GPS ( which dialled up gprs) and left it on after that drove around for a week or two and was chuffed with it ....thats until he checked the bill :o

cheers

Just used it to go to work and back and pretty impressed bit annoying when i went through the shoreham tunnel though as it lost signal but nout you can do about that, picked it up pretty quick after it though.

You can also use Tomtom6 for Symbian, but I believe you have to use a bluetooth satnav receiver.. About £30 on ebay..

I think they are working on a patch that will allow you to use the built in GPS receiver.. but to be honest, the external ones are much bettter..

John

Yeah i herd about the patch for tom tom but its been quite a while now. i do agree the gps receiver thats built in is slow to pick up the satilites but onces its got them its fine

Got TomTom 6 Mobile but couldn't get it to install on the N95 - didn't have any trouble with the TomTom Mobile 5 I had on the N70 though...

Anyway, as mentioned, TT6M only currently works on the N95 as John said, with external receiver.

As Ellz said, the TT7M release has been on the cards for far too long now and there still seems to be no sign of it.

All the best,

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...
You can also use Tomtom6 for Symbian, but I believe you have to use a bluetooth satnav receiver.. About £30 on ebay..

I think they are working on a patch that will allow you to use the built in GPS receiver.. but to be honest, the external ones are much bettter..

John

Yeah i herd about the patch for tom tom but its been quite a while now. i do agree the gps receiver thats built in is slow to pick up the satilites but onces its got them its fine

Ellz...would be very interested in a walk through as I've got the N95 8GB...pm?

• 2 weeks later...