Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What You Think Of This

where will you be getting it cut Rolex? i called acouple of key cutters and they all said the couldnt cut it!?

Same here. I took it to Timpsons and they said that their drill wouldn't be fine enough to get into the groove down the centre.

By the way, anyone know how much it is for a genuine replacement key? Lexus never bothered phoning me back.

I know there are several posts about buying blanks and swapping the innards or reprogramming a key from another car but my master key is glued together and I wouldn't be able to get the innards out in one piece and it seems that if you change the blades to another case, they wobble about because the originals are moulded in.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are very expensive, over £100 I believe.

I recently purchased a 3 button IS200 key with transponder from eBay for about £18, then purchased a blank for £5 and swapped the transponder. It cost me £6 to get the key cut from Timpsons (Manchester). Total £29. I just used the programming instructions from LOC and hey presto!

Whilst you don't like the idea of doing the above, the alternative is to purchase from Lexus direct or wait for a Lexus uncut key with transponder to become available on eBay (I last saw one advertised about £46).

In ignorance of seeing your physical key, I still think you can get your transponder out. Surely the casing is glued together in absence of the two screws that would normally hold the casing together. The transponder inside is a fixed unit and can detach. Do you think the glue may have spread?

Best of luck in any event!

erm....

Has anyone who ordered one of these got it yet??

I ordered one 10days ago and still nothing.....

Wierd - I can answer my own post - it just turned up in the post an hour or so after posting this.

Initial impressions are: it's huuuuuge! Much much bigger than IS250 fob.

Also the key blank is US size - i.e. longer than UK - not a real problem but it means the key won't go in flush into the ignition.

Built quality seems ok - key flicks out with a fairly solid feel. The gold inset around the bit that you'd put a key chain on is a bit placcy-tacky.

Back side of the unit has no insignia just two screws for opening the unit.

I'll get it cut and see how it feels to live with. But it is very big.

DSC00073s.jpg

DSC00074s.jpg

My Audi came with a key like this. The only problem is it sometimes opens in my pocket due to accidently pushing the button when I move. Kind of defeats the fold up feature :duh:

The Lexus ones button is in a recess so it may be better.

IanB :D

dose anyone know if there is anywhere i can get this cut around surrey/london

No but last time i purchased a key blank for My lexus

i got it cut in Coventry, at a locksmiths Shop

http://www.eydens.co.uk/locat.html

and they had all the gear to do all cars by the look of it

Hope this helps

I live nextdoor 2 a Locksmith :megaangry: they r rite robbin :tsktsk:

I got mine done in town they had 2 get the bit in special :yahoo:

Hello

I supplied the blank which i purchased of Fleabay and took it to them and they charged £7.50 to cut it

so all in key blank £12.00 and £7.50 to cut

not too bad i think but it was a std Lexus 3 button type blank they cut, not one of those as listed (same as VW type)

but i am sure they can cut them

I live nextdoor 2 a Locksmith :megaangry: they r rite robbin :tsktsk:

I got mine done in town they had 2 get the bit in special :yahoo:

Hello

I supplied the blank which i purchased of Fleabay and took it to them and they charged £7.50 to cut it

so all in key blank £12.00 and £7.50 to cut

not too bad i think but it was a std Lexus 3 button type blank they cut, not one of those as listed (same as VW type)

but i am sure they can cut them

I wasnt avin a go just i realy dislike my neighbour :whistling: lol

Mine was the same type as yours had it done at 1 of them cobler type shops :winky:

How well do the old insides (buttons/transponder) fit into the new flick style key housing?

Pretty well actually - good fit and no rattles. Key housing has a slight recess where the buttons are so unlikely to trigger them by mistake.

Only thing to be careful is that when you take it apart the spring that causes the flick is wound with the casing securing it so you have to re-do that and re-wind it.

No photo 'fraid but take my word for it :)

I asked in my local timpsons at weekend, they said they can cut them fine, would be £20 if they provided the blank, but there fob wouldnt included any buttons or programming, so they offered to cut a blank i provided for or £10 , but would then not be garanteed.

Bought mine from e-bay and got it cut at a little locksmiths in Southampton for a tenner. Only trouble is that its gonna cost me approx £45 + VAT to have it programmed at Lexus as it will not start my car. (IS200)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone in Aberdeen area thinking of getting this key then the Timpsons in Union St next to Nokia shop cut it for free but wont guarantee it.I got mine done today and it worked fine. The guy said if it didnt work take it back and he would have another go at it but it worked fine